• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothing/shoe store/chain/brands would you like to see go bankrupt?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Lee,

What do you do for a living? Should we start a thread and wish for the demise of your company or industry. Do you know, without us, RETAILERS, you'd have your head so far up your ass.
I wonder if you even regarded that there are many retailers, manufacturers, designers who are members here. All that have been affected by this slow down. Some that could be on the brink of closing there doors, forever!

This is tough times for all industries. Wouldn't it have been better to encourage people to go out and support those who need it now.

Where was your ******* head on this one!

Originally Posted by lee_44106
I suppose partly for the crazy liquidation sale that's sure to follow, what brands/stores/chains would you like to see fold under the strain of all this economic woes?

I'll start:

Barneys: and I gonna grab me some Berluti's
bounce2.gif

Paul Stuart: for the sheer joy of seeing the forlorn look on the face of the sales associates
devil.gif

Jay Kos: no personal experience, but apparently quite snooty, and see above

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of you will get your wish. Estimates are that about 20-25% of retailers will be gone within the next 2 years, and we'll see this trend start very soon, say January.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am with Gary "Drink" on this one. Do any of you realize how many people are involved in the apparel industry? We may not be producing as much in this country, but there are a lot of jobs involved.

Many of the brands listed are because you just don't like the styles or people who wear the clothing. Yeah, some muscle head wearing Ed hardy might be a douche. Some one wearing D & G might be some raging queen or an obnoxious Russian.

certains stores/brands might go out becuase of bad decesions, worse designs, poor quality. and yes there is good reason to close their doors. Some stores will have to reduce prices to move inventory. Hopefully there are enough people with jobs and credit to buy the stuff.
Saks is a mess. VEndors will be charged back for Saks' mistakes, putting the vendors in trouble. Macy's is awful. nothing is appealing. Paul stuart offers service. Isn't that worth the higher prices? I think it is justified.
The number of sample sales in NYC is up at least 20% this season. All of the manufactures are sitting on inventory. the problem with sample sales is that, you buy on impulse and then can't return anything.
i am being offered great deals on fabric. I am tempted to buy. but I need to be careful. Yeah, I know my downside on my inventory, but I need customers to buy.

I am being offered Oltalina fabric at about 1/3 mill price. but I need to buy this sight unscene and pay quickly! will I buy it? yeah, I will!
Carl

Leslierc

Reaction score
With more than 500,000 jobs lost in the U.S. in November, I don't want to see ANY enterprise in this country go out of business. It affects all of us as well as our communities when stores like the ones mentioned in this thread close. Please don't confuse frustration with impolite or snooty salespeople with the benefits that retail stores provide to the economy. If you're angry about a store's merchandising or staff, let them know; they're more interested in your business and, for that matter, staying in business than retaining staff or merchandise that doesn't appeal to their customers.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i do have to say... I've never had any personal problems with tiffany.

Neiman - it's impossible to make a return there. you have to return the item at a register and then go get your cash from customer service. if a till can take my money, they should be able to give it back.

LV - in my humble experience, they make crap products - but the real problem is they have TERRIBLE customer service. When a bag strap starts falling apart - they want you to buy another instead of fixing it.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
i do have to say... I've never had any personal problems with tiffany.

Neiman - it's impossible to make a return there. you have to return the item at a register and then go get your cash from customer service. if a till can take my money, they should be able to give it back.

LV - in my humble experience, they make crap products - but the real problem is they have TERRIBLE customer service. When a bag strap starts falling apart - they want you to buy another instead of fixing it.

My problem with Tiffany is their attitude, from their ridiculous policies surrounding in the past timepieces (had to be branded with the company name) to their attack on people selling their items on ebay, and their overpriced silver goods...people assume Tiffany is the best of the best when in reality they are just another jeweler.

Neiman and other luxo department stores do little for me, personally I prefer the botique approach or the small personalized mens shop...(Brooks brothers for larger chain types, and locally something like a Mr. Sid)

And Louis Vuitton to me is simply garish, they want you to believe they are on par with Hermes yet in reality they are in my mind a better comparison to Coach, and at least Coach prices their goods at a somewhat reasonable level whereas LV is a joke, plenty of other better brands out there for the same or less.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This thread makes me ill.

I'm with shirtmaven and gary on this one. It's one thing to think a brand's stuff sucks or a retail operation is crap but I still wouldn't want to see anybody go bankrupt at this point, especially since we've reached a stage where things are no longer within their control. People's livelihoods are at stake so please show some compassion.

I would much rather pay retail and get the occasion sale to keep the Edward Greens of the world going than getting a last hurrah liquidation followed by nothing at all. Everyone's gotta eat.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
This thread makes me ill. I'm with shirtmaven and gary on this one. It's one thing to think a brand's stuff sucks or a retail operation is crap but I still wouldn't want to see anybody go bankrupt at this point, especially since we've reached a stage where things are no longer within their control. People's livelihoods are at stake so please show some compassion. I would much rather pay retail and get the occasion sale to keep the Edward Greens of the world going than getting a last hurrah liquidation followed by nothing at all. Everyone's gotta eat.
I couldn't agree more.

I don't think most people realize how serious the economic situation is right now, and how it will be in the months to come. And, it's not just the U.S. I hope I'm wrong, but indications are that there will be a goodly number of people out of work. Many who will be out of work soon, are clueless today that their jobs are even at risk.

I hope the best for retailers, especially the employees who are dependent upon them for livelihood.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saying goes careful what you wish for. Retail is really going to get it in the next few quarters and it's not going to be pretty.

My list of brands that must go:

Any brand that made the cardinal sin of using a huge garrish logo on their product differentiated in the marketplace or charges way too much for something made in Southeast Asia or some other low wage region.

I am willing to pay for quality and that's it. Brand names don't mean much to me.

zeitgeist

Reaction score
the Dolce & Gabbanas, DSqured, Juicy's, etc that sell $200 t-shirts or $400 sneakers and people actually buy them. Cole Haan -- maybe you were good, once. Now you're China crap at AE prices. not a fan of armani or versace and the like either. zegna... you'll pay a premium, but it's worth it. AFFLICTION TSHIRTS -- OH GOD PLEASE GO. I am sick of seeing those UFC-wannabes at the bar with their Affliction crap.
Originally Posted by Star
Lacoste - $200+ for a pair of shoes made in Vietnam and the classic polo now virtually not made in France anymore.
I agree but it's 'designed in France, made in Peru.' Ridiculous, it probably cost <$4 to have some indigenous Indian from the jungles of Peru make the damn thing.
Originally Posted by JayJay
Some of you will get your wish. Estimates are that about 20-25% of retailers will be gone within the next 2 years, and we'll see this trend start very soon, say January.
May be true. I was at Off Saks 5th eariler. They had Zegna ties for $25. I was floored.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the point of this thread. Most people are just listing brands they don't like and don't buy from, so why would they care one way or another whether the brand continues to exist? I have plenty of brands I don't like, don't buy from, and don't pay attention to, and really don't give a **** what they do.

Now if it's a ****** brand driving a good brand out of business.... that's different.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carwyn