• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Last edited:

happypebble

Reaction score
So I was in my local mall today, and I noticed something I'd not seen before: an Aldo store. Now thanks to all of you, I know to avoid this glued junk like the plague, but I went in anyway just for the entertainment value. I'll give them this much credit: some (definitely not all) of their shoes looked pretty nice. "Cheap and cheerful," I think you call it. I saw why some men get fooled into buying it. Now if I wanted more of this, our local outlet mall has both an Aldo outlet and one for Johnston and Murphy...but I walked away in my vintage City Clubs.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a great morning of thrifting today, joined by @Centaurus3200 who's over on the other side of the Bay but made the trip with some awesome trade goods in hand, much appreciated! View attachment 1306236
Dude's not messing around, with vintage 1979 Florsheim 93606 Royal Imperials legit fished out of the bins in the East Bay last month. $3.50 shell; take that, Canuckistanis!
Anyway the stakes were raised, so we started in Daly City and worked our way south through San Mateo County hitting six thrifts, then a final stop at that cathedral of thrift commerce, the bins by SFO. It's like The Vatican, but with bins.
View attachment 1306223
It was my pleasure to show some of my favorite thrift joints to a fellow member of our thread, and compare notes on some of the experiences we've had and our interactions with some of the personalities on here. Thanks for your company and we'll get the party train rolling again sometime soon.

This is nuts.

Glad you gents had fun. I look forward to meet up with the brothers in the Bay area.

I might be headed to LA for a wedding this summer. If I am, I will try to sneak in a thrift fest with the masters.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently aquired these 1977 AE Norse.The first picture is before cleanup. The Norse in the 50’s and 60’s I believe were captoe derbies and these English style shortwings are more often found in a scotch grained version called the Baltic.This version of Norse I’ve only found in the 1977 catalog and these particular shoes were made in late 1976. I think they’re a style and color that would work well in today’s AE lineup. View attachment 1306092 View attachment 1306091 View attachment 1306093
Amazing job. Those remind me of th AE Baltic but sleeker. Congrats!

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Florsheim are for @CWOyaji son. I'm hoping in a future job interview when asked what value he'll bring to the company, his response will be "have you seen my shoes? This is genuine shell cordovan chief. when do I start?" haha!

This is nuts.

Glad you gents had fun. I look forward to meet up with the brothers in the Bay area.

I might be headed to LA for a wedding this summer. If I am, I will try to sneak in a thrift fest with the masters.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to post these the other day.

60’s Vintage Florsheim Saddles (with some funny socks my daughter gave me for Christmas)

F20D1282-9FCF-4C38-8D40-F790D9ACF716.jpeg
B8E4DD63-0C81-4F87-8D7B-EA6A2B0ACDC6.jpeg

slimjohnil6

Reaction score
Happy 1000 fellas. Pulled the trigger on these unknown model (73471) Florsheim captoes. The stitching is amazing - four tight rows all around. They are a bit dinged and were filthy when they arrived.

View attachment 1102838 View attachment 1102839

This is what they look like after saddle soap, 1 round of bick 4 ( I was worried about them being too dry), very aggressive cleaning with Renomat (I know... easy on this stuff, right? but it was necessary and the shoes handled it fine), and another saddle soap cleaning to remove the Renomat. It turns out that the shoes are chili and not dark brown.
View attachment 1102843
I’m going to do a couple of rounds of Bick 4, renovatour, cream polish, and then perhaps renovating cream to fix the gouges. I’ll post results.

Hi friendlygoz,

Curious if you ever found out any more info on these captoes.... I found a similar model on ebay that were in my size. Looked to be in good shape and in my size so I pulled the trigger. But there's not much info online about this model at all.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x
Yeah, sucks about johnston and Murphy. They used to make some nice shoes... Even through the 90s. I don't think I've ever seen a decent pair of Cole Haan... But I'm sure if you go back far enough, they made decent shoes too.

I wish Florsheim would get their **** together and do a Florsheim x Alden Shell v-cleat collab. I say alden because I doubt florsheim has a factory in the US anymore.

Cole Haan YEARS AGO was a high quality manufacturer. When Nike bought the company they made lots of money, but it was the end of quality shoes.

I have some vintage CH that are alligator. I have also bought and sold some really high quality CH that were made by EG and other Northampton makers.

But, nothing I have seen in the last 15-20 years is anything but crappy plasticky junk.

I tried a couple pair back in 2010. They had them 50% off at Dillard’s. I got suckered in. They were a good looking split toe Oxford. They ran a little narrow so the 11.5 fit me very well. But, it didn’t take long at all before it was clear they were junk.

I do remember researching Cole Haan and if they have a green label, they are pre-Nike. Many of the green label are not corrected grain and are halfway decent.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First in line for dim sum at 9:30am. All finished before freezing rain hits the area hard.

93605s kept me in style. The topy, cat paw heels, and grommets make these great for wet weather.

Another week at home with the kids. Wishing you all a great finish to the weekend.
20191229_103832.jpg
20191229_103109.jpg

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
First in line for dim sum at 9:30am. All finished before freezing rain hits the area hard.

93605s kept me in style. The topy, cat paw heels, and grommets make these great for wet weather.

Another week at home with the kids. Wishing you all a great finish to the weekend. View attachment 1306508 View attachment 1306509

Looking good with 'Dad' style: Dad jeans and dad shoes.

I will do the same today. Dad style for dim sum. :)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good with 'Dad' style: Dad jeans and dad shoes.

I will do the same today. Dad style for dim sum. :)

I thought dad style Jean's were baggy and loose? Or has that tightened up?

My loose fitting jeans are used for yard work and shoveling snow. My tapered and fitted jeans are worn to go out.

Man, now I gotta step up my game.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1993 vintage 97625s View attachment 1288177
Sadly, too big for me at 14 C.
View attachment 1288178
I really like the reflections on these shoes though.
View attachment 1288179
Doc, are these custom made JM calling you?

My loose fitting jeans are used for yard work and shoveling snow. My tapered and fitted jeans are worn to go out.

Jeans and LWBs May be dad style, but dang they can look good. Natty shell MacNeils.

0F41A51E-CA05-47A1-98BF-60F3C7302F85.jpeg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim, looking good at 40. Thanks again @Centaurus3200, I think I'll give these to my son over a dim sum lunch in honor of fatherhood.
fullsizeoutput_25c6.jpeg

Here's the place I have in mind, it's down the hill from my house. We drove by it yesterday.

And it's right across the freeway from SFO, so @suitforcourt can fly up from LA to join us. They have Two big floors of dim sum extravagance

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

right_hook

Reaction score

If you want to step up your game then you'd like to try raw selvedge denim. As I know, Gap had Kaihara selvedge line. Not a bad choice to start with.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member