• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Engineer boots

Do you have to unbuckle to don/doff or are they slip on/off? Never owned a pair but love the idea of a slip on boot with winter coming. Right now a pair of Blundstones serve as my "take the dog out" boots. I'd love to upgrade.

I have not adjusted the buckle at all...mine are not broken in at all yet so maybe that will change for me...right now the upper and lower buckle are set how I go them. They go on and off very easy for me...I sized the same as I have for every Viberg last to date all size 12

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not adjusted the buckle at all...mine are not broken in at all yet so maybe that will change for me...right now the upper and lower buckle are set how I go them. They go on and off very easy for me...I sized the same as I have for every Viberg last to date all size 12

Thanks @Kahuna75 !

Those are so damn stunning. Kicking myself for not jumping on board.

Broark

Reaction score
I don't adjust the forefoot buckle on my pair when I take them on and off, but I undo the shaft buckle. A lot easier to put on or take off than say my Boondockers.

SoyBoy2

Reaction score
RE: Engineer boots

Do you have to unbuckle to don/doff or are they slip on/off? Never owned a pair but love the idea of a slip on boot with winter coming. Right now a pair of Blundstones serve as my "take the dog out" boots. I'd love to upgrade.
I tried to get on this buy but was too late. Damm!

I have a pair of Whites engineer boots. If I am riding my bike I leave the bottom buckle in the 3rd hole, if I am walking around a bunch I suck them up to the 4th hole to minimise heel slip. To take them on or off it is put near impossible to do if they are in the 4th hole so loosen them up a notch. YMMV.

gambit402

Reaction score

Great!! Latest tally for: Standard City Service Boot (SCSB) Natural Waxed Flesh 110 Last Pull tab Vibram 705 half sole and matching heel (not Cat's Paw) 7 eyelets Partially structured toe Stitchdown Nailed down construction (if possible) Contrast tongue Looks like we have the following definitely in on this: @Raneleigh @Aviv @metranger8694 @pema @loanshark @SoyBoy2 @Akeem That's 7 of us...definitely enough to bring to vote if Fok approves. Who else am I missing... @billymax ? Anyone else on board?
I'm a maybe. Between this and the side zip.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
Wish I had enough funds to not have to choose, but I think this does suit my style more. Was trying to get out of my comfort zone. Any idea of when we're supposed to hear back from Fok?

I always think it's best to stay within your comfort zone when it comes to boots. Every time I ventured out of it, I always ended up selling them eventually. Best intentions, but they saw more closet time than street time.
wink.gif

Fok was at a trunk show in NY. I think he's back this week - said something about the 6th or 7th. He has a lot of catching up to do, but hopefully he will weigh in this week.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes!  Forgot to add that in - thanks!  Here is the final:

Standard City Service Boot

Natural Waxed Flesh

110 Last

Pull tab

Vibram 700 half sole and matching heel (not Cat's Paw)

7 eyelets

Partially structured toe

Stitchdown
Nailed down construction (if possible)

Contrast tongue 

A fab make up, actually, but I'm in desperate need of a black boot for work to replace my 6y/o Black Indy.

If they were Scout, tho, I'd seriously consider.

Btw, I noticed on the specs ... u guys need to make sure that there's leather heel slip__ to have a constant thickness @outsole

THSdrummer

Reaction score
Hello all! Brand new, but been lurking on and off for a while. Considering the dive into the Viberg boot world, but I'm curious, does anyone polish their Viberg boots? I'm not looking at cordovan, since I can't pull that purchase off yet. I'd like something I can get a bit of luster to, not necessarily mirror like.

CMT1

Reaction score

Hello all! Brand new, but been lurking on and off for a while. Considering the dive into the Viberg boot world, but I'm curious, does anyone polish their Viberg boots? I'm not looking at cordovan, since I can't pull that purchase off yet. I'd like something I can get a bit of luster to, not necessarily mirror like. 

I use Bick 4 on my Chromexcel and Latigo service boots to condition and moisturize the leathers, and it does leave a rich, although not necessarily "shiny" look.

One time I was visiting family in SC and was informed that I had to attend a jacket/slacks dinner in memory of my stepfather. All I had were my Chromexcel service boots that I had worn to travel there, but I did have Venetian Shoe Cream at the house - So I over-VSC'd them up and had a laugh at how shiny they came out:

They worked with light tan corduroys and a blue blazer, but I'd never try to get them that glossy again.

Here is a shot after Bick 4, which does a great job of treating the leather without leaving it too slick:

THSdrummer

Reaction score
I use Bick 4 on my Chromexcel and Latigo service boots to condition and moisturize the leathers, and it does leave a rich, although not necessarily "shiny" look.

One time I was visiting family in SC and was informed that I had to attend a jacket/slacks dinner in memory of my stepfather. All I had were my Chromexcel service boots that I had worn to travel there, but I did have Venetian Shoe Cream at the house - So I over-VSC'd them up and had a laugh at how shiny they came out:

They worked with light tan corduroys and a blue blazer, but I'd never try to get them that glossy again.

Here is a shot after Bick 4, which does a great job of treating the leather without leaving it too slick:

Holy heck. I like that.

This is a good representation of the boots I currently own (Red Wing Beckmans), except I put a layer of black polish on every 2 or 3 conditions to help keep it dark.

Those Vibergs are looking like they'll polish up well and help me round out my collection. Any more photos? Models to consider?

I've also been looking at the Kangaroo model as I've heard Kangaroo leather shines up really well, but I'm a bit nervous with how much the leather varies in color.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fab make up, actually, but I'm in desperate need of a black boot for work to replace my 6y/o Black Indy.

Btw, I noticed on the specs ... u guys need to make sure that there's leather heel slip__ to have a constant thickness @outsole

Do Scout boots always have to have those Vibram Morflex/Wedge type thick soles?

Or could we do a build with a conventional leather midsole with Vibram 705/Vibram heels?

Raneleigh

Reaction score

I don't know what you mean by leather heel slip...please explain..

Raneleigh

Reaction score
Do Scout boots always have to have those Vibram Morflex/Wedge type thick soles?

Or could we do a build with a conventional leather midsole with Vibram 705/Vibram heels?

Never seen a scout boot with a conventional heel/sole. But the wedge needn't be white all the time - it could be black.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tony0o0