• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broark

Reaction score
So it seems like the Millwright might be dead, and we won't be entertaining the idea of an oxford at all?
I'd love to see a 145 oxford in crust CXL, antique brass eyelets, with some kind of wedge sole.
Or maybe another brown leather rough out. Just an idea. I'd love to have a casual oxford like that one I quoted above.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love a captoed oxford shoe in Natty Waxed flesh with the vibram half sole.....oh tooo dream! maybe with natty rough out quarters or heel cup....

vettemike

Reaction score

So it seems like the Millwright might be dead, and we won't be entertaining the idea of an oxford at all?
I'd love to see a 145 oxford in crust CXL, antique brass eyelets, with some kind of wedge sole.
Or maybe another brown leather rough out. Just an idea. I'd love to have a casual oxford like that one I quoted above.

Or with a Vibram 705 half sole. Crust CXL! Count me in

Broark

Reaction score
I would love a captoed oxford shoe in Natty Waxed flesh with the vibram half sole.....oh tooo dream! maybe with natty rough out quarters or heel cup....

Yeah I think it would be nice in the natural waxed flesh too. Cap toe or no cap toe, doesn't swing my vote too much.
I've just been looking for a nice casual oxford in a brownish shade of leather with a wedge sole.
Maybe we'd work up enough interest, I just know Fok shot down the idea of a "rugged oxford" early on.

Whirling

Reaction score
How about a derby shoe with a zipper around the top of the quarters that could be used to attach a boot shaft for a convertible country derby boot?

Last edited:

Raneleigh

Reaction score
I was going to ask about pull tabs.

Last year's brown fat waxed GMTO had them.

What's the thought on them.

I have found them incredibly useful in pulling on my fat waxed and Garage boot. At first I thought they would be a pain ********** and hook on my jeans all the time. They do that once in a while, but for the most part they are actually very handy and helpful, especially when you have all eyelets and no hooks.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Just so you guys know, Viberg dreamsmashed the rivet last time around on the Half-Japanese. It was considered "proprietary" to ... maybe Nigel Cabourn.. I forget.

Also, I have no dog in the fight over this boot. But it is a fact universally acknowledged that the 2045 is much better/cooler/more bootlike than the 110.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
I like this build, but I have a couple questions;

What is the difference between the 110 last and the 2045 last? They look similar. And from what I have read, some people have problems with the fit of the 110 last, enough in fact that it may impact how many people can get behind this build. Would you consider the 2045 last instead? I think it's telling that Viberg doesn't have any boots on the 110 last currently on their website.

Secondly, I thought that we were limiting our leather choices to the options proposed by Fok. Natural Waxed Flesh wasn't one of those options. Would any of you consider the Standard City Service Book in one of those leather options, such as crust CXL?

The 110 last is more of a traditional work boot last. The 2045 is a munson last (traditional military). I'm not a big fan of that shape personally - it always just looks a little odd to me. For comparison:

2045 Munson:

110 Last:

I'd like to stick with the 110 on this build. I think people either like the 110 and/or 2045 or they don't. I don't think the 110 is less comfortable or popular. Viberg probably puts out as many on the 2045 as they do on the 110 - or at least fairly close to the same amount. But let's be honest...they really favor the 2030 and 1035 these days as they seem to be heading in more of a fashion oriented direction than traditional.

I think the leathers Fok showed us is a guideline - I certainly don't think it's limited to that. But I don't think he wants us to start requesting special leathers. Natural waxed flesh isn't special or exotic, it's in Viberg's basic stable, so I don't think he'll have a problem with it. And as the natty waxed flesh was the inspiration for this entire build, I think we need to stick with it.

Natty waxed flesh on the 110 is classic!

Last edited:

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Just so you guys know, Viberg dreamsmashed the rivet last time around on the Half-Japanese. It was considered "proprietary" to ... maybe Nigel Cabourn.. I forget.

Also, I have no dog in the fight over this boot. But it is a fact universally acknowledged that the 2045 is much better/cooler/more bootlike than the 110.
Is that true @linafelt ?

Or do you just not like the fit of the 110?
biggrin.gif

I saw your old B&S classified selling your horse hide boots on the 110 and was going to ask you why you didn't like the fit of them.

Did you size up a half size too much?

I compared pics of the 2045 and 110 and the 110 looked a little nicer from an overhead view. But, as someone else here said, the 2045 is nearly equivalent in shape to the 1035 which fits me the best. But my brown fat waxed onthe 110 looks beautiful from an overhead view...I guess I'm wishy-washy on the subject!

I'd like to hear the opinion of @Raneleigh ....

On edit: GOT IT!^

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif

I saw your old B&S classified selling your horse hide boots on the 110 and was going to ask you why you didn't like the fit of them.

Yeah, that was a tragic story. I had ordered a beautiful pair of 2045 pebble grain black shell boots in size 10. Since there was virtually no arch support, I tried them with my insoles but there were a bit too tight in the toes. This was at the very end of the MTO days, and they said I could do one last MTO to replace the shell boots. The 110 had just come out, and in the beginning it had a very cool upturned toe, which has mostly since disappeared. Morgan (I think) advised me that if I wanted just a bit more toe room I should just order the 110 instead of the 2045, which I did. But it ended up with a LOT more toe room, and the heel felt huge. I tried to wear those boots for a while hoping to make it work, but it just couldn't for me. The HH was killer...

So, my experience was 110 being much wider and bigger all around than 2045. But I always liked the shape of the 2045 better, and wish I had tried harder to make that pebble grain pair work.

FYI, 2045:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have found them incredibly useful in pulling on my fat waxed and Garage boot.  At first I thought they would be a pain ********** and hook on my jeans all the time.  They do that once in a while, but for the most part they are actually very handy and helpful, especially when you have all eyelets and no hooks.

agreed that the pull tab is quite useful, but I am flexible on it. rivet was just a thought and probably doesn't add much.

the pic I took with the rivet is from Radiance Hsin so I don't believe it is proprietary to Cabourn.
2045 is definitely an underused/underappreciated last.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the pic I took with the rivet is from Radiance Hsin so I don't believe it is proprietary to Cabourn.

Yeah, there is no reason it should be, but pretty sure that's the answer we got last round. Honestly, Viberg often seems to answer these questions off the cuff with little rhyme or reason. Or maybe it depends on who you ask at the time.

I am a big fan of the rivet. Tell you what, if you guys get a boot on the 2045, with natural wax flesh or crust, AND the elusive rivet, I might also be in. "Might..."

Last edited:

Raneleigh

Reaction score

Is that true @linafelt ?

biggrin.gif

I compared pics of the 2045 and 110 and the 110 looked a little nicer from an overhead view. But, as someone else here said, the 2045 is nearly equivalent in shape to the 1035 which fits me the best. But my brown fat waxed onthe 110 looks beautiful from an overhead view...I guess I'm wishy-washy on the subject!

I'd like to hear the opinion of @Raneleigh ....

On edit: GOT IT!^

With all due respect @linafelt I think you're making a generalization. I have heard just as many people say that the 110 is better/cooler/more comfortable as I have the 2045 and any other last for that matter. And let's face it...coolness is really in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has an opinion and those opinions vary vastly. In my experience, there is a lot of passion about personal favorites when it comes to lasts. I dig the 110. I have average joe feet and I do well on the 110. And as @metranger8694 points out, the 110 looks beautiful from atop - it is a very symmetrical and "normal" looking workboot shape. The munson shape is classic, but it's not something you see everyday on people unless they are wearing vintage paratroopers or Redwing Rangers (though I consider the Ranger more of a modified munson). Another shot of the natty waxed flesh on the 110...gorgeous in my opinion:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tony0o0