• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last question- what’s the consensus on Blue Riband’s drape and durability? Handle, dryness, etc.

Appreciate the feedback on LGB. It’s sad to hear how even Lesser’s flagship is now decidedly mediocre. The merger was a death sentence of a thousand cuts.
Another one you might want to check out is Holland & Sherry’s Perennial Classics. A smidge lighter than what you requested at 280 grams/9 oz., but it’s not an open weave and has a very broad range of solids, stripes and checks.

Sfba

Reaction score
@classicalthunde @JHWilliams @tim_horton @Sreezy36 @Despos

Thank you all for your insights! I’m honestly leaning toward Fox Brothers Worsted Classics after considering your comments. I like everything about its handle and weight. Only put off by the fact that it’s relatively new and lacks a track record.

Some of my own takes on H&S for the record:
My first suit was H&S Perennial collection. Lasted 6 years of brutal, almost careless, wear. Just a bit of unrefined finish. I’ve not gotten my hands on Cape Horn, but I recall @Despos once writing that Premier Cru has more guts for the same type of 1% cashmere cloth. As for Crispaire, I am unimpressed. Perhaps it was a utilitarian cloth 3+ years ago. Now after 4 trousers, I’m of the opinion that it’s gutless, feels like a high supers cloth, cannot shed wrinkles to save its life, and bags noticeably. My tailor tried to warn me. I didn’t listen.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you all for your insights! I’m honestly leaning toward Fox Brothers Worsted Classics after considering your comments. I like everything about its handle and weight. Only put off by the fact that it’s relatively new and lacks a track record.

My first suit was H&S Perennial collection. Lasted 6 years of brutal, almost careless, wear. Just a bit of unrefined finish. I’ve not gotten my hands on Cape Horn, but I recall @Despos once writing that Premier Cru has more guts for the same type of 1% cashmere cloth. As for Crispaire, I am unimpressed. Perhaps it was a utilitarian cloth 3+ years ago. Now after 4 trousers, I’m of the opinion that it’s gutless, feels like a high supers cloth, cannot shed wrinkles to save its life, and bags noticeably. My tailor tried to warn me. I didn’t listen.
Agreed on crispaire. I have a pair of trousers in this - never again. Give me drapers 4 ply or a fresco / fox air / finmeresco over crispaire.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first time poster. I’m building out a wardrobe of 4-5 business suits. Work in south SF Bay Area, so hotter than SF but a generally mild clime.

What is the best book in the 300-350g range for workhorse worsteds? Looking for dry tough fabrics if possible. I’ve narrowed down several options:
1. SW Blue Riband- There is scant info on this book. Would appreciate any insight as to its handle.
2. Lesser LGB (11 oz)- I like the handle but have read here it’s not durable. FNB once wrote this is indestructible, but that was 15 years ago. Any thoughts on this?
3. Fox Worsted Classics- Acceptable dry handle. Has anyone had a something made up in this?
4. Premier Cru- Comes highly recommended by Despos. I’ve never felt it. How does its hand compare to the others?

I’ve experimented with Five Stars (now Superbio?), and I love the bunch but found the jacket too hot for five months out of the year. Bad experience with Dormeuil Royal Krono II. Will never trust the French again.

I plan to add 2-3 of Fresco 10 oz or maybe Fox City in the future, so please exclude suggestions of high twists/panamas from your recommendations.

Thank you in advance and glad to be joining this community of cloth psychopaths.

I was very impressed with Blue Riband Finmeryn when I flicked through the bunch. It is not what you would call a “dry” handle. Soft and luxurious to the touch. I have asked about this cloth on the thread and haven’t heard anything
Last question- what’s the consensus on Blue Riband’s drape and durability? Handle, dryness, etc.

Appreciate the feedback on LGB. It’s sad to hear how even Lesser’s flagship is now decidedly mediocre. The merger was a death sentence of a thousand papercuts.

I have been asking about Blue Riband, but no one on the forum seems to have experience with it. When I flicked through the book, the cloth was absolutely beautiful. Very soft handle.

Premier Cru and Dugdale Needle Ready have such little cashmere in them that it would not affect the durability in any way.

jeremygo

Reaction score
Now that the weather is getting warmer... my mind is naturally planning out things I'd like to wear in the fall/winter. I'm hoping to commission a MTO sportcoat from The Armoury and would love some advice on tweed/faux tweed cloth.

I'm in NYC and don't need anything super heavy. I've heard great things about Fox Somerset and Harrison's Moonbeam, which I've been told have a tweedy texture/appearance but are softer. In terms of color, looking for something in a deep/warm brown, ideally in a glen check/gun club with some additional colors thrown in.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that the weather is getting warmer... my mind is naturally planning out things I'd like to wear in the fall/winter. I'm hoping to commission a MTO sportcoat from The Armoury and would love some advice on tweed/faux tweed cloth.

I'm in NYC and don't need anything super heavy. I've heard great things about Fox Somerset and Harrison's Moonbeam, which I've been told have a tweedy texture/appearance but are softer. In terms of color, looking for something in a deep/warm brown, ideally in a glen check/gun club with some additional colors thrown in.
Fox has awesome tweeds. Check out lovat for tweeds too.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Loro Piana Sopra Visso is good.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score

You might consider P&H Lonedin

Marshak

Reaction score

Yes.

Draper's 4ply > Crispaire
Harrison's Premier Cru > Cape Horn

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Gents- what's a good rec for a dark brown hopsack? It'll be for something on the casual side. It'll end up as my go-to for traveling and those occasions where I want to wear a sportcoat but not be overdressed. Looking for three-season (s/s/f).

Thinking the commission will end up with patch pockets with flaps, swelled edges, likely quarter-lined, very lightly structured.

Sfba

Reaction score
Gents- what's a good rec for a dark brown hopsack? It'll be for something on the casual side. It'll end up as my go-to for traveling and those occasions where I want to wear a sportcoat but not be overdressed. Looking for three-season (s/s/f).

Thinking the commission will end up with patch pockets with flaps, swelled edges, likely quarter-lined, very lightly structured.

I love this book. Dry, airy, looks and feels like casual jacketing.

Don’t recommend this for trousers- they will look “off” in case you’re tempted to commission a blazersuit.

ZMEH

Reaction score

Drapers' updated Montecarlo has a really nice shade of dark brown hopsack with bits of light brown melange which (IMO) gives a bit more visual interest/freshness compared to a solid coloured hopsack.

https://drapersitaly.it/fr-en/collection/30118/

drapersmedia-d3nt-20200604-galleria_30036_2.jpg

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score

New fox limited drop worsted faux tweed gunclub

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New fox limited drop worsted faux tweed gunclub
Looks neat, but I have enough unfunded liabilities as-is. Tempting!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhaacai0ne88