• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made up a length of Maison Hellard linens into a sport coat here? If so, how does it compare to the other linens on the market?

I'm looking for a green-ish sport coat for shoulder season (Sept to Oct and April-June) and am interested in the Cours d'eau. Haven't really had a full linen sport coat before...curious about the wrinkle recovery time, I'd ideally like to be able to wear it 1x per week or so...

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made up a length of Maison Hellard linens into a sport coat here? If so, how does it compare to the other linens on the market?

I'm looking for a green-ish sport coat for shoulder season (Sept to Oct and April-June) and am interested in the Cours d'eau. Haven't really had a full linen sport coat before...curious about the wrinkle recovery time, I'd ideally like to be able to wear it 1x per week or so...
Wrinkle recovery? It’s linen!!!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrinkle recovery? It’s linen!!!

Fair, I just dont want it to be a wrinkled mess every time I throw it on...fully understanding that it will get that way by the end of the day/evening but would rather it not start out that way.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree then...my WSL and silk-linen stuff tends too bounce back into shape after a couple days in the closet...was more attracted to the design than the fact that it was linen. I'm basically looking for a S/S fabric in green and dug the design of the Maison Hellard fabric

Cours D'eau.jpg

Marshak

Reaction score
Fair, I just dont want it to be a wrinkled mess every time I throw it on...fully understanding that it will get that way by the end of the day/evening but would rather it not start out that way.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree then...my WSL and silk-linen stuff tends too bounce back into shape after a couple days in the closet...was more attracted to the design than the fact that it was linen. I'm basically looking for a S/S fabric in green and dug the design of the Maison Hellard fabric

View attachment 1938279
No shape recovery. Your arms will look like an accordion and your back like a carpet with a corpse rolled in it, but that's the charm of linen! If you want a wrinkle free linen jacket look at that alien fabric from Harrisons they mixed up with terylen. Shell something.

More seriously the Hellard linen seems to be a good compromise between the soft Italian one and the more rigid Irish one. @Jmr928 has a suit in it and ordered more.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1938279
Fox Brothers has a similar fabric in the Fox Journey book. It's a high twist 2-ply wool not a linen. I have a swatch of it and like it. It's on my to-do list.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No shape recovery. Your arms will look like an accordion and your back like a carpet with a corpse rolled in it, but that's the charm of linen! If you want a wrinkle free linen jacket look at that alien fabric from Harrisons they mixed up with terylen. Shell something.

More seriously the Hellard linen seems to be a good compromise between the soft Italian one and the more rigid Irish one. @Jmr928 has a suit in it and ordered more.
Maison Hellard’s bunch is kind of interesting in that there are I think three different weaves in the spring/summer collection. I’ve got the plain weave solid made up into a suit but it’s a different weight and weave than the patterned options. It’s also a totally different hand and is more crisp. The twills are much softer feeling and a hair heavier.

A friend had one of the twills made up into a sport coat last summer and I think the creasing always looks more moderate on him than on my suit. It’s obviously still a linen and has plenty of rumpling but it isn’t the sharp creases like traditional linen. I notice most of the rumples at the elbows and lower back but nothing that would put me off having it in the collection as a casual sport coat (and why I ordered a suit in the twill with the RAF windowpane project that Nathan graciously made up)

On that note - My length made it to Italy along with a nice note from him. really excited for this shade for a summer suit and glad I got my order in before they sold out.
C46911BC-4FD7-47A1-A8DE-67D0E4918B5F.jpeg

Last edited:

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
I am just about to get my first ever linen suit - made from the normal Maison Hellard bunch. And I also got another suit length of the limited edition La Dôle one, very excited to get it done next spring.
However, as it is my first order in Maison Hellard I have not really much I can tell you. During the fitting it felt very light as expected but not too flimsy. We will see about that though, once I wear it in the office…

One thing to note, there are two different qualities they carry. The one you posted a 2x2 twill in 360g/m and the one I used for my suit as a plain weave in 330g/m. Not sure if they really differ noticably enough.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maison Hellard’s bunch is kind of interesting in that there are I think three different weaves in the spring/summer collection. I’ve got the plain weave solid made up into a suit but it’s a different weight and weave than the patterned options. It’s also a totally different hand and is more crisp. The twills are much softer feeling and a hair heavier.

A friend had one of the twills made up into a sport coat last summer and I think the creasing always looks more moderate on him than on my suit. It’s obviously still a linen and has plenty of rumpling but it isn’t the sharp creases like traditional linen. I notice most of the rumples at the elbows and lower back but nothing that would put me off having it in the collection as a casual sport coat (and why I ordered a suit in the twill with the RAF windowpane project that Nathan graciously made up)

On that note - My length made it to Italy along with a nice note from him. really excited for this shade for a summer suit and glad I got my order in before they sold out.
View attachment 1938337
I was able to get some of this too, I was worried when the site said "sold out" but it turned out that the tailor I'm using got a length for me. Might not be able to fund it this year but it will be in the queue for next.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Another option. Really like the wool/linen hopsack. Linen Twill jacketing, Linen Solaro and a good range of solids
I have a suit in a Zegna 50/50 wool/linen (big shouts to @edmorel). I find it's the best of both worlds -- a little slubby, a little wrinkly, but holds a crease well and egregious rumples fall out overnight. Best of all, it has a hopsack-y weave that keeps it airy and breathable. I've worn it to multiple tropical weddings and it wore nice and light.

Wool/linen is a great compromise if you don't want the full-on louche linen look.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Also a fan of wool/linen blends. Marling and Evans has a number of great wool/linen blends. I've got a steel gray hopsack sportcoat with one of their fabrics that has been a "wear with everything" blazer.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Linen/wool blends are a favorite with me. Wool compliments and tempers the linen and vice versa.
Like bourbon basted said, "best of both worlds".
Same for cotton/linen blend shirtings

Think it was from Drapers, years ago, a wool/cotton Calvary twill that I loved for trousers. Haven't seen that for decades.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've said it before and i'll say it again : an intelligent blend is most often greater than the sum of its parts

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newzealandhemp