• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three years later... "Critique / make suggestions / comment on my shoe collection" redux!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only can spot one pair of suede shoes. Perhaps a nice navy or tan suede shoe or more double monks. You could spring for a balmoral boot. I've been coveting carmina shell double monks and boots.

Also nice collection of shell.

That sort of addresses the problem, limited variety within such a large collection. Other out-of-the-box ideas: low-contrast saddle shoes or shoes with woven leather. Also, strongly consider an exotic leather pair.

twinpeaks

Reaction score
the uppers of your shoes look pretty beat up for someone with so many in rotation.

Assuming you got them NIB I suspect this is because they are mostly cordovan and thus wrinkle in a 'bad way' (my opinion) compared with calf - or maybe you are not taking care of them properly

my advice is that you should really go for less but better and forget cordovan for a while. Also diversify everything, country, maker, colour, material, etc

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the uppers of your shoes look pretty beat up for someone with so many in rotation.

Assuming you got them NIB I suspect this is because they are mostly cordovan and thus wrinkle in a 'bad way'  (my opinion) compared with calf - or maybe you are not taking care of them properly

my advice is that you should really go for less but better and forget cordovan for a while. Also diversify everything, country, maker, colour, material, etc

Most were *not* NIB. The shell gets the mac method, the calf gets polish and conditioner as appropriate.

Diversifying TOO much goes against my admittedly-a-bit-trad theme, but I'm definitely moving in that direction after taking the photos, looking at them all in the light next to each other, and hearing thoughts here and at AAAC.

Thanks everybody!

TheBatman

Reaction score
I am conflicted. On first glance this seems like an impressive collection. However, upon reflection I think it is a collection that can only be developed by someone committed to factory seconds and used pairs. Unless one had an unlimited budget that is.

As noted above, the quality of the shoes is suspect, especially considering the sheer number of them in your rotation. There is also evidence of brand gluttony which is a symptom of buying many shoes at a lower price. You wouldn't have bought so many Alden's and AE's at full price.

I concur with someone's suggestion above. Ditch the factory seconds and buy fewer shoes at full price. I think you will have a more varied and interesting collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads