• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Talk on the street is its a fair and decent seller who sells for straight maket value. Never dealt with him myself. I always look for opinions on WUS

And also. Holy Naughty Nautilus!

I've always heard the same. Pretty sure he's very legit.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Some Russian friends wearing my Celadon Imperial on a lovely spring day in Moscow.

http://www.tempusfugitwatch.com/2015/03/wrapping-up-celadon-imperial.html

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

That is a very cool looking watch that I know absolutely nothing about. So what's the deal with Celadon?

Thanks very much! Celadon is simply a passion project of mine - a quest to build something which I couldn't find before, an exceedingly well-made, elegant, dressy but versatile watch, but with a certain distinctive charisma (something usually missing with mainstream dress watches).

Quite a few friends here have the Red dial, and many also have the Blanc de Chine (ivory) watch, or both :D

And many have ordered the upcoming Midnight Blue with Plum Blossom Guilloche, or the Blanc de Chine with Peacock Guilloche (absolutely stunning this one :slayer:)

Here's Alex Ghotbi (moderator of the Vacheron Constantin owner's club The Hour Club, and one of the founding members of The Purists) wearing a Celadon Imperial at a gala dinner in Geneva...

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my weird little collection, please excuse the photos, I'm still learning

Seamaster 2231.80.00 on a more recent strap

Sinn 856UTC

Sinn EZM3 (missing bezel pip)

Montblanc GMT

Hamilton - have since put on a brown leather strap and gave it to my gf

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frills - I like where your head's at. IH and DSSD were made for each other. Love em

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was running through a bit of a thought experiment this morning. If I could only have one watch, what would it be and, more interestingly, would it be one of the watches that I actually have or currently desire to have?

So in my mind I keep coming back to a Rolex Explorer. Which is a watch I neither own (I do have an ExII) or desire in the short-medium term. Sure, I'd like one, but it's not high on the list, presumably because I am not limited to one and I have other watches with niche roles that, to me, fulfil those roles better than the Explorer. But if I could only have one, it would be my choice and I would love it.

And if I could only keep one of my current watches? Tough choice, but it would be my simple vintage steel Rolex Date.
Very interesting scenario. Sorry, a bit late to the discussion but I was away enjoying beautiful weather and my other hobby.

I can see how an Explorer could fit the bill. However, I don't think, if one can help it, that one watch for everything should be a watch that one has little desire to own. Sure one watch for everything will most likely be a compromise in at least one situation or more, but I don't think the compromise should be in one's overall desire to own the piece.

I owned an Explorer 114270 for 10 years. Classic design, I liked that it was easy to read at a glance, it was classic Rolex, but had a more more history and was a bit sportier than a Datejust. I also thought it was sort of understated in its 36mm size and could be worn around clients or during interviews and fly under the radar. I love how this watch looks in photos, especially when Frills or other regulars here post pix of theirs. However, I found I rarely wore it. It just wasn't my go to watch. So over the course of 10 years maybe I wore it for what would total to 2 months of wear.

I love watches from a variety of brands, and I have several watches that have significance in terms of them marking a specific event in my life. However, if I had live with only one watch, it would be my RO 15202. I wanted a RO for many years and it was a grail watch for me for some time. When I acquired it I wasn't sure if it would be a weekend watch jeans and sweater watch, a business casual watch, a sporty watch to wear with a suit, or if it would merely become a regular part of the rotation (receiving the same attention as other watches). However, it quickly became my go to watch for almost everything, jeans and casual weekend wear, business casual days, suit days at work, suit days for evening events or weddings...basically it became the watch that get's about 90% of my wrist time. I think the amount of wrist time it gets is a combination of its versatile size, its unique history, its beauty (at least in my eyes), its movement, and that it was a grail for me. At least for my current work and lifestyle, if I had to live with only one of my watches for everything it would be my RO. Admittedly, its rare for me to have to attend black tie events so that isn't really a concern...and I do have dress watches, if I choose to break that rule of etiquette.

Perhaps, for those of us who enjoy watches and and find style/etiquette important, one watch for everything could be very difficult and not truly fit every need. Maybe the issue to consider which two watches would best cover all of your needs? Maybe not as much of a challenge as trying find one watch for everything, but it could be twice as much fun and result in you always having a watch that is appropriate for every situation. Cheers!

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard entertain a one-watch scenario, simply due to the fact that I feel naked without one and am sometimes engaged in activities that put a watch at risk. At minimum I would need at least one good watch and one tough beater.

If, the one-watch life were forced upon me, I would say the last man standing would be the one who kept the best time, wasn't overly complicated and could take a knock like a champ. Maybe a good Seiko or a simple DJ.

But everyone's lifestyle is different. Were I more advanced in years and less active, I would probably favor whichever watch had made me smile the most and given me the least fuss through decades passed. Only time will tell how that all shapes up.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance someone could identify the wrist watch on the photo? Is it some entry level Hublot, or just a lookalike?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, can I get some opinions on this one? Considering a new watch, have found I much prefer steel bracelet over the leather band (I guess I'm too swarthy for strap)

IWC IW323902 - comments on make, movement, style? This is the model I'm considering:

tigerpac

Reaction score
Guys, can I get some opinions on this one? Considering a new watch, have found I much prefer steel bracelet over the leather band (I guess I'm too swarthy for strap)

IWC IW323902 - comments on make, movement, style? This is the model I'm considering:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, can I get some opinions on this one?

It's one of very few current production IWCs that I don't dislike, though I would probably look for a Inge 3227 in good condition instead.

As for the comment above, I strongly prefer solid casebacks for these kinds of watches.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
+1 to Kaplan's advice. If you have the time and inclination, you might want to seek out a 3227-01 Ingy.

Most IWC fans regard that particular model as something of a modern classic.

But I do believe it's a millimeter or two larger than the current version, if that makes a difference.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kaplan and Keith. I really like the Ing design, (but unless one is going for the original Jumbo SL version which is highly collectible and rare), the the only one I would consider is the 3227-01 with in house movement. Its larger than the current model and some say its a bit heavy, but that would be the model to get IMHO. The version you are considering has a rather ordinary movement and that would bother me. However that may not bother some people.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1. I haven't tried one the 3227 yet so I am curious about what others say about them wearing large and heavy. I did try on the 40mm recently as well. Bracelet is awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads