• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, am I correct that the buttons not aligning with the buttonholes is a left-right balance issue here? Is there any way to fix this or make it less pronounced?
20230822_090227.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, am I correct that the buttons not aligning with the buttonholes is a left-right balance issue here? Is there any way to fix this or make it less pronounced?
View attachment 2011931

Difficult to say from just one picture. I don't see a big difference on the bottom line between the two quarters.
If you button the jacket, do you see/feel any pulling/distortion?

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Difficult to say from just one picture. I don't see a big difference on the bottom line between the two quarters.
If you button the jacket, do you see/feel any pulling/distortion?
Yes a little distortion when I button, feels like I have to pull my left side up to meet the buttonhole. But you're right that the bottom of the jacket is even, so I'm wondering if it's not a balance issue and all I have to do is move the button slightly.
20230822_091948.jpg

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes a little distortion when I button, feels like I have to pull my left side up to meet the buttonhole. But you're right that the button of the jacket is even, so I'm wondering if it's not a balance issue and all I have to do is move the button slightly.
View attachment 2011937

I'd say it's a minor issue: you may have it fixed by a tailor, but in my opinion it's not really necessary.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes a little distortion when I button, feels like I have to pull my left side up to meet the buttonhole. But you're right that the button of the jacket is even, so I'm wondering if it's not a balance issue and all I have to do is move the button slightly.
View attachment 2011937
Posture-wise, your left shoulder looks lower than your right. Hence some disparity in how the coat hangs.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts guys?
Not a tailor but to me you have a low right shoulder so there is some collapsing of the right side of the jacket body. Sleeve pitch might be a little off; side view would help. But this looks like linen (?) so maybe some of this is just rumpling of the sleeve.

hysteria

Reaction score
Would you be able to kindly offer some suggestions to improve the fit of this pair of cotton trousers?

Here's what I'm thinking:
- Add extra 0.75" to the pelvis as it seems a bit tight
- Inc back rise by 1cm?
- Increase width of thigh and knee by 0.5-1cm?

I'm still not great at identifying the source of fit issues. Not looking for this to be super roomy and fit like wool trousers. As these are cotton chinos, I want them to sit a bit closer to the body and slimmer, as they will be worn with slimmer tops i.e. polos, so looking for minor fit improvements here.

Attachments

• Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #4.jpeg
    Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #4.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM.jpeg
    Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.06 PM.jpeg
    Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.06 PM.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #6.jpeg
    Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #6.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #2.jpeg
    Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #2.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #5.jpeg
    Photo on 2023-08-10 at 8.05 PM #5.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 142

george325

Reaction score
Hi all - would you be able to offer feedback on the fit of this Spier & Mackay suit? It’s from their core line, slim 40R. A few notes:
- I had the tailor take in the side seams of the jacket and hem the sleeves. He also brought in the waist and seat of the trousers, and hemmed the legs.
- I am considering whether to have the legs tapered as they seem a little roomy.
- The left sleeve appears a tad shorter than the right arm. My left arm is longer than the right but my tailor didn’t take this into account. It’s not extremely noticeable but I think it could be lengthened 1/4”
- I am debating in the future whether to size down to a 38R. The shoulders are touch wider than my shoulder bone and there seems to be some excess room in the chest. I think this is visible if you focus on the pocket area of the jacket front. Prior to the alterations, there was a lot of excess fabric in the back right near the armpit area that has since been removed.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3307.jpeg
    IMG_3307.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3315.jpeg
    IMG_3315.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3266.jpeg
    IMG_3266.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

george325

Reaction score
Hi all - would you be able to offer feedback on the fit of this Spier & Mackay suit? It’s from their core line, slim 40R. A few notes:
- I had the tailor take in the side seams of the jacket and hem the sleeves. He also brought in the waist and seat of the trousers, and hemmed the legs.
- I am considering whether to have the legs tapered as they seem a little roomy.
- The left sleeve appears a tad shorter than the right arm. My left arm is longer than the right but my tailor didn’t take this into account. It’s not extremely noticeable but I think it could be lengthened 1/4”
- I am debating in the future whether to size down to a 38R. The shoulders are touch wider than my shoulder bone and there seems to be some excess room in the chest. I think this is visible if you focus on the pocket area of the jacket front. Prior to the alterations, there was a lot of excess fabric in the back right near the armpit area that has since been removed.
Any thoughts?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
If this is their Neapolitan Cut, you might try their 38R in the Contemporary Fit. Says that the shoulder width will be 17.9in vs 40R Slim's 18.3, and the chest will be 41.7in rather than 40R Slim's 42.9. For what it's worth, I like the shoulders and the back, but agree that the chest is collapsing a bit. I think a slightly narrower shoulder than 18.3 should be fine. If the tailor had to take in the back on this 40R Slim, you should be okay with the back on 38R Contemporary. (I.e., it should be tailorable.)

I think 38R Slim will be too small in the chest and waist, and probably in the back.

For a bit more, Kent Wang offers 39R in a slim cut.

Kevin24

Reaction score
Good evening,

I recently bought a pair of new Hart Marx Tuxedo trousers off eBay that were suit separates (I only purchased the pants)

The trousers are marked "Short," and my go-to size is a regular. Does regular vs. short vs. long, etc. matter for pants?

blewnote1

Reaction score
Any thoughts?
I'll let people with more experience weigh in on the jacket, but will tell you leave the taper on the pants alone and enjoy being able to bend your knees when sitting down (or any other situation where you might need to bend your knees) without feeling like you might blow out the knees of your trousers because they're tapered so slim. At least that's been my experience with S and M pants.

george325

Reaction score
If this is their Neapolitan Cut, you might try their 38R in the Contemporary Fit. Says that the shoulder width will be 17.9in vs 40R Slim's 18.3, and the chest will be 41.7in rather than 40R Slim's 42.9. For what it's worth, I like the shoulders and the back, but agree that the chest is collapsing a bit. I think a slightly narrower shoulder than 18.3 should be fine. If the tailor had to take in the back on this 40R Slim, you should be okay with the back on 38R Contemporary. (I.e., it should be tailorable.)

I think 38R Slim will be too small in the chest and waist, and probably in the back.

For a bit more, Kent Wang offers 39R in a slim cut.
Thank you for the input. I suspected that I should size down so it’s good to have reassurance.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryanckney