• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Happy Holidays! As I am not a tailor, I am hoping for some insight as to what alterations should be done to this semi-bespoke flannel suit. I had one fitting prior to finished garment. The trousers fit perfectly, but to my novice eye and based on feel, the waist is a bit too suppressed and the collar is not sitting correctly.

Thank you in advance for your assistance! It is much appreciated.

View attachment 1870840 View attachment 1870837 View attachment 1870838 View attachment 1870839 View attachment 1870841
Did you pick this up from the tailor? Did they see it on you?
Lots of issues that aren't easy to correct.

whipcord

Reaction score
very little to work with but yes, it can be let out.
Could also let out the side body at the bottom of the arm scye under the arms. This will make the armhole wider.
Not certain you need this without seeing the fit, letting you know other options.

Thank you. What kind of pictures would be most helpful? This is a raglan sleeve overcoat which has low arm holes. It is pulling when I am in the driving position, which is annoying since it's a "car coat."

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you. What kind of pictures would be most helpful? This is a raglan sleeve overcoat which has low arm holes. It is pulling when I am in the driving position, which is annoying since it's a "car coat."
May not improve. Deep armholes on a raglan are very uncomfortable and hard to move in.

Try doing this. Get a straight pin and pin the center back seam just under the collar where the collar is sewn to the body.
Pinch the seam 1/2' double. That's1/2" on each side of the seam, 1' total. Put another pin about 1" down from the first pin. Try the jacket on and see if it feels better.

whipcord

Reaction score
May not improve. Deep armholes on a raglan are very uncomfortable and hard to move in.

Try doing this. Get a straight pin and pin the center back seam just under the collar where the collar is sewn to the body.
Pinch the seam 1/2' double. That's1/2" on each side of the seam, 1' total. Put another pin about 1" down from the first pin. Try the jacket on and see if it feels better.

Thank you. I will find some pins and do this. I took a few pictures to show the coat. When I raise my arms the coat is lifting, and you can also see it starts puckering in the shoulder as a result. It's a wrinkled mess from shipping. The fabric is beautiful, a 100% wool with a really nice hand and weight.

frnt.jpg

bck.jpg

reach.jpg

Last edited:

whipcord

Reaction score
Does anybody know if this is enough seam allowance to gain any mobility in the back of the coat? The first is the sideseam measurement for both sides, the second is the center back seam.

sideseam.jpg

centerbackseam.jpg

What I am looking for is to reduce the amount of tightness in the back of the jacket when reaching, driving, etc. You can clearly see how snug it becomes with any sort of arms forward movement. I don't really understand fit and why this coat gets so tight in the rear when my arms go forward. The pit-to-pit is 6 inches over my actual chest measurement. There are no larger sizes available. I suppose I could just return it, but I love the wool. It has such a soft hand and no itch whatsoever.

UncommonSequel

Reaction score
Ordered my first sport coat from Spier & MacKay and would like feedback on fit for future orders. I ordered the same coat in 40L and 42R, both in their contemporary fit. See pics below:

I think the 42R seems to fit better across the chest and shoulders, which from my understanding is one of the more important areas to get right, it also feels slightly more comfortable.

Couple of questions:

1) They stock 42R in their slim fit as well, which has the same published chest, shoulder, and sleeve length measurements as the 42R contemporary, with a 0.4” reduction in waist, and 0.2” reduction in jacket length. Would it be worth ordering this instead next time? Or is the reduction in length not worth the trade off?

2) Thoughts on length? Is the standard length long enough on the 42R? Or do you think it is worth ordering a long next time (42L is 1" longer than 42R in both jacket and sleeves, and 0.4" longer than the 40L)?

3) Any other thoughts/opinions on whether or not this block pattern fits me well enough to order additional jackets/suits from S&M in the future? Or should I try other rtw/mtm options instead? If I stick with S&M what size would you suggest ordering, and what would you suggest getting altered with a tailor?

Thanks!

Giving this a post-Christmas bump. I would really appreciate any feedback/insights, I am new to classic menswear and still trying to figure out all of the intricacies of fit!

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
Hello All!
I was directed to this thread for some assistance. Please let me know if this is incorrect.
I am hoping for some advice. I recently used Steed's MTM service (their semi-bespoke service was not yet available). I am mainly happy with the suit I ordered, save for the sleeves. I can't quite put my finger on it. I've been in touch with them since receiving delivery in mid-December, but have yet to receive a response. I assume the holidays are causing a delay.

Now, I realize I should have held out for bespoke service, but I figured being I usually do very well off the rack with a 40R, that it would be overkill. This is likely my inexperience, and I have learned.

Anyway, I ordered a lovely breathable mid-grey lightweight 2-piece suit. It is wonderful. We did 1 virtual fitting, and adjustments were made, and it was sent back. It seems the sleeves are either too big/wide, or pitched wrong, or something. Will you all tell me if I'm crazy?

Thank you!

20230105_134424.jpg 20230105_134432.jpg 20230105_134455.jpg 20230105_134442.jpg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All!
I was directed to this thread for some assistance. Please let me know if this is incorrect.
I am hoping for some advice. I recently used Steed's MTM service (their semi-bespoke service was not yet available). I am mainly happy with the suit I ordered, save for the sleeves. I can't quite put my finger on it. I've been in touch with them since receiving delivery in mid-December, but have yet to receive a response. I assume the holidays are causing a delay.

Now, I realize I should have held out for bespoke service, but I figured being I usually do very well off the rack with a 40R, that it would be overkill. This is likely my inexperience, and I have learned.

Anyway, I ordered a lovely breathable mid-grey lightweight 2-piece suit. It is wonderful. We did 1 virtual fitting, and adjustments were made, and it was sent back. It seems the sleeves are either too big/wide, or pitched wrong, or something. Will you all tell me if I'm crazy?

Thank you!

View attachment 1875346 View attachment 1875347 View attachment 1875348 View attachment 1875349
Would retake those photos to get feedback. Try and get full body shots for people to be able to actually see things.

J.R.

Reaction score
Hey group. Based on other comments on another thread, I'm sending this back in for some touch ups. What is the proper way to fix this? I just want to makes sure that what I have the tailor do is right by getting your second opinion.

For the pants, the main issue is the bunching under my rump. Now, I have a limited rump, which is most of the problem. Does it need to be taken in there? Or, let it out more to hang straighter? This is an issue is many of my pants.
On the jacket, I know I need to let out the sides a bit to relax the pulling on the lower back area. Do you think I need them to widen the upper back to lesson the stress between the shoulder blades? The jacket is actually pretty comfortable and does not stretch like this when unbuttoned.

Attachments

• IMG_8232.jpg
    IMG_8232.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8233.jpg
    IMG_8233.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8225.jpg
    IMG_8225.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 207

gimpwiz

Reaction score
JR, in photo #2, are you standing naturally or leaning forward? One of my own troubles is the "natural look" as opposed to the "posed look," where the latter is often not accurate to how I actually stand or walk. It looks to me like you're leaning forward a bunch. (Or is it on purpose?)

J.R.

Reaction score
I think I'm standing naturally. It's hard not a pose a bit. I certainly was not intentionally leaning any way, except to lift my arms out of the way. My phone is leaning on a shelf with my contribute to the look of a lean.

Kevin24

Reaction score
This might be inappropriate for this thread.

However, it’s sort of a cloth related question.

I bought a pair of waxed cotton caps in large which is my usual size. However, unlike hats made of other materials I find them too tight.

Going off of this, will they stretch a lot or should I size up?

If anyone has any experience with this type of cloth?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This might be inappropriate for this thread.

However, it’s sort of a cloth related question.

I bought a pair of waxed cotton caps in large which is my usual size. However, unlike hats made of other materials I find them too tight.

Going off of this, will they stretch a lot or should I size up?

If anyone has any experience with this type of cloth?

@Kevin24
It may stretch, depends on construction. But, you don't know how much it would stretch or if it will stretch enough to be comfortable.

Would size up

Cidermonk

Reaction score
Appreciate any thoughts on my shirt, trouser or jacket fits. Shirt and jacket are Proper Cloth, trousers are Luxire. Getting ready for a wedding in several months so trying to nail down fit fairly quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_5317.jpg
    IMG_5317.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5322.jpg
    IMG_5322.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5319.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5320.jpg
    IMG_5320.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5327.jpg
    IMG_5327.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5331.jpg
    IMG_5331.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5329.jpg
    IMG_5329.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5336.jpg
    IMG_5336.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 94

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Appreciate any thoughts on my shirt, trouser or jacket fits. Shirt and jacket are Proper Cloth, trousers are Luxire. Getting ready for a wedding in several months so trying to nail down fit fairly quickly.

Trouser length is a bit too short for me. But some like it like that.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariaMicallef