• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just returned from a little cruise around Spain and N. Africa. We had not used the Italian cruise line MSC before and were not at all sure what to expect.

We noted from their website that they do not have formal nights as such, rather 'Gala Evenings'. While they appeared to encourage evening wear on these occasions, their onboard information also suggested possible alternatives that included 'your very best polo shirt and nice jeans'!

So, we were pleasantly surprised on the first of these evenings to discover that many men and the majority of ladies had made an effort. As one would expect, most of the gentlemen, while trying hard, would not have met 'SF-approved' standards - I spotted lots of notched lapels, double vents, ordinary business shoes, brightly coloured and sparkly waistcoats, etc.

I, myself, fell short too. I still don't possess any patent shoes, so had to go with my Church's Lingfields.

Here are a few pictures of my outfit from two of the four Gala Evenings - same dinner jacket but different accessories:
Cruise 2023 1.jpg

Cruise 2023 6.jpg

Cruise 2023 2.jpg

Cruise 2023 3.jpg

Cruise 2023 4.jpg

bbqthis

Reaction score
I got married 2 weeks ago today. I wore a morning coat for the ceremony and switched to a dinner jacket for the reception. Really quite pleased how the outfits turned out (the wedding itself turned out even better). The dinner jacket is exactly how I wanted; at first glance bog standard, but with a hearty peaked lapel that makes a subtle impact.

Details:
  • The morning coat and trousers were purchased online as ex-rental stock.
  • Vest is from Hawes & Curtis.
  • Dress shirt from Divij (both commissioned for the wedding, unfortunately was my 1st order from Divij that needs alterations after make. These sleeves are over 1.25" too long!")
  • Pocket square is Simonnot-Goddard Archival
  • Tie is an old Polo RL
  • Shoes are Cleverley bespoke (I know, I know)

• Dinner jacket is MTM by Beckett & Robb.
  • Bow tie/cummerbund from High Cotton Ties
  • Formal shirt from Divij (these sleeves were too short)
  • Suspenders are Albert Thurston
  • Jewelry is Larter & Sons
tempImagejzhZHX.jpg tempImageYkman7.png tempImageZrlwp0.png tempImageZFalcR.png

blewnote1

Reaction score
I have just returned from a little cruise around Spain and N. Africa. We had not used the Italian cruise line MSC before and were not at all sure what to expect.

We noted from their website that they do not have formal nights as such, rather 'Gala Evenings'. While they appeared to encourage evening wear on these occasions, their onboard information also suggested possible alternatives that included 'your very best polo shirt and nice jeans'!

So, we were pleasantly surprised on the first of these evenings to discover that many men and the majority of ladies had made an effort. As one would expect, most of the gentlemen, while trying hard, would not have met 'SF-approved' standards - I spotted lots of notched lapels, double vents, ordinary business shoes, brightly coloured and sparkly waistcoats, etc.

I, myself, fell short too. I still don't possess any patent shoes, so had to go with my Church's Lingfields.

Here are a few pictures of my outfit from two of the four Gala Evenings - same dinner jacket but different accessories:
View attachment 2056085

View attachment 2056087

View attachment 2056089

View attachment 2056101

View attachment 2056107
You should be happy to learn that patent leather, while always correct for black tie, is not necessarily required. Opera pumps, captoe, or wholecut oxfords in calf are also correct going back to the golden age menswear. Just make sure they're well shined (yours look like they fit the bill) and you're set.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be happy to learn that patent leather, while always correct for black tie, is not necessarily required. Opera pumps, captoe, or wholecut oxfords in calf are also correct going back to the golden age menswear. Just make sure they're well shined (yours look like they fit the bill) and you're set.
Thank you @blewnote1 Yes, I think we can allow ourselves a little leeway with black tie footwear 😊

jeremygo

Reaction score
Hey black tie experts, I was invited to my first black tie wedding next year and am starting to look around at options for my first tuxedo. Does anyone have any recommendations for tuxes in the $1.5K to $2Kish range? Right now I'm leaning towards No Man Walks Alone x Sartoria Carrara, but still doing my research.

Secondly, my understanding is peak vs. shawl, single vs. double breasted is just personal preference - but is there anything I should be looking out for there?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey black tie experts, I was invited to my first black tie wedding next year and am starting to look around at options for my first tuxedo. Does anyone have any recommendations for tuxes in the $1.5K to $2Kish range? Right now I'm leaning towards No Man Walks Alone x Sartoria Carrara, but still doing my research.

Secondly, my understanding is peak vs. shawl, single vs. double breasted is just personal preference - but is there anything I should be looking out for there?
Yes to your question. I suppose peak is slightly more formal.

Ring jacket / the armoury is another option. Stefano bemer mtm, b&tailor mtm. All in New York.

jeremygo

Reaction score
Might consider Ring Jacket through The Armoury. Very classic. In the range of what you are looking to spend.
Thanks! I get a lot of my normal tailoring from the armoury's tribeca shop and checked out their tuxes last week. Unfortunately their tuxedos all start in the $2.5K-$2.8K range and I was hoping to aim a bit under that.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much can/will you wiggle? You can go cheaper, but you're obviously losing quality. Spier, Cavour, and AI all have appealing options south of your minimum. Ring, as mentioned above, hits above.

I think SC* via NMWA is probably your best bet. I don't believe MTM (or MTO if you're one of god's chosen few who can easily do RTW sizing lol) incurs a notable upcharge, and that should have you kicking tires at just about the ish range of $2kish...if not a tad lower?

In today's climate, it's a near certainty nobody would care or notice peak or shawl lapels, or even notch if you're feeling frisky (inserts gasp emoji) so really personal preference. I would say go peak if it's your first tux.

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Peak vs shawl and SB vs DB is personal preference. Peaks are more formal, but there aren't so many BT events at all, of which not many require the full level of formality. DB's benefit is that you don't need to worry about a waist covering of any sort, but it's also warmer than SB. Really all just preference. Can't imagine being thrown out of a party for making the 'wrong' choice.

SB Peak is probably the simplest "don't put any thought into it" option. Make sure the lapels aren't wimpy.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure the lapels aren't wimpy.
+1 on this. Make sure you have a balanced to strong lapel. That’s my preference at least. Whether it’s peak or shawl. I think the whole small skinny lapels thing looks awful.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It might just be me, but I find that shawl lapel shapes vary widely from maker to maker whereas peaks tend to be pretty uniform. Just something to consider as I love some lapel shapes and am not a fan of others...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bossiniusa1