• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, bro!!!!!!!!!!! I'll drink to that!

Cheers!
cheers.gif

and next year, thread beware, i will be out spending money!!

Reaction score
1st post is Tom Ford? Nice! welcome to the thread. you can never have too many ties. and hopefully this will help you on your path to sartorial greatness,
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/24/style-pyramid/

speaking of ties, i want to thank TROIKA. for giving me the Canali tie i wore today while securing my company's first major investor! it's now my lucky tie.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Thanks size 38R. I actually had that page bookmarked on my computer after seeing it somewhere before. Im ridiculously picky when it comes to my fit and even more so when it comes to material (Picky enough that the only one who will still go with me thrifting is the girlfriend and thats only cause I seem to have a knack for finding her cashmere sweaters). This was more I paid $1 for a scratcher and won $20 so Id take a guess on if it fit my bro or grandpa

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Catching up on the thread I just wanted to weigh in on the pleat/ no pleat discussion. While pleats are definitely not in favor generally right now, they can look great, and not just on larger folks who need "space"...The Armoury guys have been posting pleats recently, for example, and below is one time SF big timer, MaoMao in one of my all time favorite fits.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Catching up on the thread I just wanted to weigh in on the pleat/ no pleat discussion. While pleats are definitely not in favor generally right now, they can look great, and not just on larger folks who need "space"...The Armoury guys have been posting pleats recently, for example, and below is one time SF big timer, MaoMao in one of my all time favorite fits.

Pleats rule, no doubt. just need taste to rock it. that is a great pic.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's red, tweed, Paul Smith, and double-breasted?
I get a little peeved when I post something as available here and people respond expecting cost + shipping at whatever they'd be able to find at their local thrift shop. Sorry, but prices are higher here than in much of the country to begin with, and I don't only shop at thrift stores (this is the thrift/discount store thread after all!). And no, I don't care what you got XX for from someone else. The item isn't the same, and their cost was probably different.
I've only done a few trades, mostly I'm buying stuff from people here, but I never question the price, because even if it's 10x thrift, I'm not PM'ing someone on something I'm not absolutely in love with and would pay good $ for. Too bad that (some) people (may) just assume you're willing to give away what you worked hard to find. Hey, that winning $100 lottery ticket, I'll give you $2 for it, come on, that's TWICE what you paid for it.

Found an oxxford with a pattern but there's no pant size inside. How do I confirm that it's not an orphan?
I always buy Oxxford orphan pants, haven't gotten less than $65 for one on the bay (sorry Andro)

Agree with ChetB, in all likelihood, it's real. Thrifting is the same here...small shops with limited selection but quiet. I grabbed a Harris Tweed cap the other day and one of the ladies commented that I always grab the quality stuff.

Side note about one of the stores I'm in often: I was checking out and they asked me if I'd be back before the holiday. I said it wasn't likely, but that I have a few weeks off at Christmas, so I'd be in soon after Christmas. She said "Well, let me give you your give now!" and handed me a gift bag of organic tea with a handwritten note and card. Of course I was shocked and said thank you, but she said that I'm one of their best customers and they couldn't even calculate how much I've spent over the last year and said they hope to see me more next year. Incredibly generous of them. It does, however, put me on a new level when a charity thrift store is giving me a gift.
I think I'm in the middle (appropo since I'm in the middle of the country) thrifts aren't exactly quiet, but not crazy and I may see 1-2 other serious tag checkers in a store at one time if that. Getting a gift from the prop of the store... that's awesome.

Also, it's great to see the core group of hobbyists sticking around as the posts on which-$7-sportcoat-can-I-buy-for-$7-and-sell-for-$25 proliferate. While some of the stuff that we find is worth money, NOT doing it for the money makes it interesting. Canadians will get this reference
All the questions from noobs, while annoying, is not overwhelming. Not everyone is doing it, just a few, and they will learn or leave. That was me 9 months ago, I stuck around. If it was every other post, that would kill the thread, but it seems there's just one or 2 at a time so it's bearable.

Is that a legalized prostitution reference?
Only second time thrifting in last few months. Everything is available.
A&E forget the model
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=321250584307
HAMPSTEAD - nice find!

Too many awesome finds to comment on, still on my self imposed thrift ban (did spend a couple hours with the wife yesterday at a store, confirming that she HATES thrift shopping) but then gave her back the PP debit card, so I'm on the wagon again. Good thing, I've cleared my backlog of 80+ ties, have 50 of them listed so far, going to tackle the mountain of pants today.

Pre-ban discount purchase came in this week, 85% off:

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG!!! ^^^^ those blue shoes are the sexxxx!!!!! well played sir.

Last edited:

LeSacre

Reaction score
Alright, any help here would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching everywhere for BB pant label dates, but haven't found anything. Anybody think they can date these? Nat?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@CharmingCharlie

Wait, for your first thrift outing, you found a PS trench? Damn son!

@LeSacre , why is it sooo brightttt. My eyeeessssss!

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so nobody has the thrift skills to win this months scavenger hunt prize? (shakes head) it is over now, call yourselves thrifters? for shame.
lol8[1].gif

as I do keep agreements, and produce the prizes. (cough,ahem,clears throat Where's my prize brioni?) the 1960's Canon Camera will be gifted to a deserving member. who has shown integrity, hospitality, and generosity.

TROIKA, Merry christmas bro. the low numbers super collectible like new vintage camera is yours.
fing02[1].gif

(He is a photography lover)

don't hate, participate.

edited, If you (anyone?) would like to host the next scavenger hunt. name your prize. and nominate yourself.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad fitting ff pants look better than bad fitting pleated pants. Good fitting pants look good whether ff or pleated

agreed, though bad fitting pants look bad. period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members