• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pocketsquared

Reaction score
Continued

IMG_3096.JPG

10 Charvet shirts
IMG_3120.JPG

And lastly this coat I picked up for personal. Tags have been removed, and same with the hood, but details were nice. Any idea on the maker? The only identifier I noticed is what looks to me like a dog symbol on the zipper. Harmont & Blaine?
IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Continued

View attachment 1766067

10 Charvet shirts View attachment 1766068

And lastly this coat I picked up for personal. Tags have been removed, and same with the hood, but details were nice. Any idea on the maker? The only identifier I noticed is what looks to me like a dog symbol on the zipper. Harmont & Blaine? View attachment 1766070
View attachment 1766071
View attachment 1766072

MrRaves

Reaction score
I was watching a thrift haul video on youtube tonight where the host was super excited about all the suits he scored. He showed off some vintage Isaia, vintage Burberry, vintage Zegna etc. This video was posted almost 18 months ago, and going onto this reseller’s poshmark closet it is no surprise that most of this stuff has still not sold.

That got me wondering…are there any “vintage” suits that ARE in high demand?

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching a thrift haul video on youtube tonight where the host was super excited about all the suits he scored. He showed off some vintage Isaia, vintage Burberry, vintage Zegna etc. This video was posted almost 18 months ago, and going onto this reseller’s poshmark closet it is no surprise that most of this stuff has still not sold.

From what I've been able to glean from this forum saville row suites can do well. There are niche communities who want lily pulitzer palm beach suits and I remember someone here sold an old hollywood era dinner jacket for quite a high sum to niche communities who collect from that era. I think Yves era ysl and tom ford gucci as well if we are talking newer vintage.

I know nothing about womens vintage but after reading this article I was curious to check out the store. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/style/desert-vintage-fashion-stylists.html?searchResultPosition=1
After going there I was pretty surprised to see old but very pedestrian looking Donna karen blazers and anne klein jackets can now be priced at 600 to 1k dollars? I know ysl rive gauche was always a thing with womens but the prices seemed outrageous for stuff that was fairly roughed up imo. Either way if anyone here do womens stuff maybe there is a new wave coming.

Bon Vivant Life

Reaction score
From what I've been able to glean from this forum saville row suites can do well. There are niche communities who want lily pulitzer palm beach suits and I remember someone here sold an old hollywood era dinner jacket for quite a high sum to niche communities who collect from that era. I think Yves era ysl and tom ford gucci as well if we are talking newer vintage.

I know nothing about womens vintage but after reading this article I was curious to check out the store. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/style/desert-vintage-fashion-stylists.html?searchResultPosition=1
After going there I was pretty surprised to see old but very pedestrian looking Donna karen blazers and anne klein jackets can now be priced at 600 to 1k dollars? I know ysl rive gauche was always a thing with womens but the prices seemed outrageous for stuff that was fairly roughed up imo. Either way if anyone here do womens stuff maybe there is a new wave coming.
admittedly, i know nothing, especially about women's clothing and high fashion. however, i can't help but think that if i were to list those same DK or AK pieces i would be fortunate to get $60 to $100 for them, if that. sometimes people pay the price because of whom they are purchasing from more so than what they are purchasing. sort of like buying a Bert Pulitzer tie from @SpooPoker ! :-D

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also there is no 10 percent rule ,I mean even if you get a Rolex for half price ******* post it.
I was referring more to buying dated stuff,like it may have cost 3 grand 15 years ago but...

Don’t you mean Rolex for retail ? 🤣

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This T shirt is amazing.

09E4F58D-2F95-4330-B3AC-1738A105E931.jpeg
@Fueco could you give me some help on this please?

1011DEA1-EE74-439C-A9AE-44C608CBB4EB.jpeg
6DCD89D8-75E1-4CAA-A421-C0444D3B3035.jpeg
8D825C29-6DFE-4D63-9BE4-403161BFC2B6.jpeg

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
it’s all about how & where it’s presented (in real estate: location, location, location)

there have always been upscale vintage dealers that ask (and get) high sums for pieces that don’t meet our standards here. these dealers buy more for the look than the label, or quality. in interior design, you’d be surprised how often something along the lines of a safavieh product gets sold for above its original retail price simply because it was staged well in a high end “antique” shop and has the look the designer was going for.

starwarsocean

Reaction score
it’s all about how & where it’s presented (in real estate: location, location, location)

there have always been upscale vintage dealers that ask (and get) high sums for pieces that don’t meet our standards here. these dealers buy more for the look than the label, or quality. in interior design, you’d be surprised how often something along the lines of a safavieh product gets sold for above its original retail price simply because it was staged well in a high end “antique” shop and has the look the designer was going for.

i completely agree. Vintage shops focus far more on looks than brands, and they end up becoming famous for specializing in a particular look and are able to charge more for a specific style as a result. I also think vintage shops with really good real estate curate their offerings to their signature style so they’re able to become the destination for that on-trend hipster bs style that lets them charge triple what they would be able to get in any other reasonable circumstance. Vintage shops in Brooklyn do this all the time and I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve gone to a vintage shop in London that charges triple what the Oxfam down the street has so much better stuff does.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good points all. I guess my expectations were too high based on the nyt write up about them hunting at all these auctions. There was some rare stuff for sure but I expected racks of mostly gems and not 1/3 of it being pieces I could have found prob 3 or 4x a month a couple of years ago.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably "real" vintage suits... as in pre mid 60's and earlier.

REAL 1930's and 40's double breasted, 1950's atomic fleck, 1960's sharkskin mohair... that kinda stuff?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom