• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WaltDud

Reaction score
Backup pairs 🤯

If you're not wearing your clothes, you're not winning.
I think I agree with you more than I disagree, especially the older I get. But I will say, some items are nice to have backups for, especially if there's a great deal on em and/or they stop making 'em. I've pulled out a fresh backup t-shirt I got from Kent and Curwen several years ago that they don't make anymore, and Kent & Curwen for sometime stopped selling in the west and only had online/storefronts for the Chinese market.

Are there WAY better tshirts than that currently being made? Absolutely. But I like it and I'm glad I bought it for the price I got it at.

But again, the older I get the more Im like it was dumb to just buy jeans and let them sit there and wait their turn.

WaltDud

Reaction score
I am looking for a new backpack / weekendbag and consider getting one from RRL.

Will use for gym, running errands, city trips, etc. so it's important they can take a beating and withstand rain. Also important that they are practical; need to comfortably fit laptop, pair of shoes, clothes.

Would appreciate your thoughts & opinions on RRL bags.
They can be a bit pricey but I also like Bradley Mountain and Billy Kirk bags. Made here in the US and are very attractive, sturdy, and practical. Might be a bit too "nice" for the gym.

I use a Bradley Mountain duffle bag for the gym but Im thinking to switch to a Carhartt toolbag lol. They're sturdy and hold their shape and don't collapse like a duffle that's not filled to the brim.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Going off foraging for coffee and bacon. RRL Lynn type 1 LE jacket, slim fits. Alden.
foraging.jpg

tonicab

Reaction score
Hi
Do you think any RRL from China you can get in ebay, vinted,... with tags are fakes?
Sizing is small for a RRL. For example a RRL shirt in L have the measurement of a M.
Regards.

Tyjordan86

Reaction score
Hi
Do you think any RRL from China you can get in ebay, vinted,... with tags are fakes?
Sizing is small for a RRL. For example a RRL shirt in L have the measurement of a M.
Regards.
No, sizing is not a tell tale sign of a reproduction as sizes can very greatly depending on the garment. I have shirts tagged L that fit like a medium, and ones that fit like a XL. Though recently they seem to be more on the smaller side.

heebalabala

Reaction score
it was dumb to just buy jeans and let them sit there and wait their turn.
The underlying assumption of "backup pairs" is that the originals eventually become unwearable. I believe the opposite: Clothes get better the more they're worn. (I'll make exceptions for socks and undergarments.)

The thought of retiring a pair of beautiful worn-in jeans for a fresh-out-of-box exact replacement pair short-circuits my brain.

Also, you guys must have a lot more closet space than me.

Cor3yy

Reaction score
IMG_1215.jpeg

Buffalo trucker hat, quilted jacket with the removable hood from a few years ago, and my daily driver canvas cargo pants. I’m traveling through NYC next week, so hopefully making a pit stop at the W Broadway store. I’m anxious to check out the new RRL socks in person 😂

juniorsample

Reaction score

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The underlying assumption of "backup pairs" is that the originals eventually become unwearable. I believe the opposite: Clothes get better the more they're worn. (I'll make exceptions for socks and undergarments.)

The thought of retiring a pair of beautiful worn-in jeans for a fresh-out-of-box exact replacement pair short-circuits my brain.

Also, you guys must have a lot more closet space than me.
I think it kind of depends on the context of the "backup pair". My original pair of selvedge chinos I wore a lot which included to work. They got nicely worn in after a few years to something I'd not want to wear to the office. So I got another pair as office pents and I still wore the original pair, just not to the office. The office pair stayed looking pristine for quite a while since they only got worn to the office. Then of course covid happened and I'm still amost all WFH so the old worn in pair get worn the most.

The third pair I got soon after the second pair because a store was shutting down and closing them out. That was also about the time Ralph seemed to discontinue them.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Appreciate the clarity! I know what not to get when people in this thread fade RRL for bags :p.
For Filson bags, concentrate on the *twill* duffels and briefcases. I think those are the only ones that are still made in the US and I'm not even sure if they're still made in Seattle. But those are the ones that people think about when they think "Filson bags".

One downside with the twill bags is they're really heavy. I have a twill laptop briefcase that I don't actually use just because it's so heavy on its own and that's before I fill it with the crap I carry. Instead I use a Chrome laptop bag.

kurdo

Reaction score
The third pair I got soon after the second pair because a store was shutting down and closing them out. That was also about the time Ralph seemed to discontinue them.

Sounds like those back-up pairs you guys got saved RRL from discontinuation.

tonicab

Reaction score
No, sizing is not a tell tale sign of a reproduction as sizes can very greatly depending on the garment. I have shirts tagged L that fit like a medium, and ones that fit like a XL. Though recently they seem to be more on the smaller side.
I know but I have seen several RRL items for a low price and I think they are all fake.
In web like taobao I can see fake RRL items, but I think it is possible.

tonicab

Reaction score
About fakes, what do you think about this?

DENcmiE.jpeg

I saw a ebay seller any month ago and he sold several new RRL clothing with tags and low prices. Now seller is deleted.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimitar