• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

krudsma

Reaction score
At the beginning of the pandemic, I decided I would use the additional spare time to teach myself how to make shirts, something I'd been wanting to do and reading up on for awhile. After a lots and lots of trial and error (and wasted fabric) I've finally arrived at a point where I can make something I consider wearable. This is my third successful shirt, in a vintage seersucker fabric I found on etsy. This is based on a pattern I drafted myself (which was far and away the most difficult and time consuming part) to fit my freakish body.

PXL_20210909_152621266.png

Currently in the to-do fabric pile is a vintage patchwork madras, striped cotton broadcloth, vintage flannel that looked way nicer in the photos and is likely 100% acrylic, and another thick vintage flannel arriving this weekend, which is hopefully either wool or cotton.
If anyone ever needs advice on making your own clothing, I have a wealth of PDFs I'd be happy to share. Hoping to tackle trousers at some point, and maybe even an overcoat if I get brave enough.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of the pandemic, I decided I would use the additional spare time to teach myself how to make shirts, something I'd been wanting to do and reading up on for awhile. After a lots and lots of trial and error (and wasted fabric) I've finally arrived at a point where I can make something I consider wearable. This is my third successful shirt, in a vintage seersucker fabric I found on etsy. This is based on a pattern I drafted myself (which was far and away the most difficult and time consuming part) to fit my freakish body.

View attachment 1665893

Currently in the to-do fabric pile is a vintage patchwork madras, striped cotton broadcloth, vintage flannel that looked way nicer in the photos and is likely 100% acrylic, and another thick vintage flannel arriving this weekend, which is hopefully either wool or cotton.
If anyone ever needs advice on making your own clothing, I have a wealth of PDFs I'd be happy to share. Hoping to tackle trousers at some point, and maybe even an overcoat if I get brave enough.
Awesome job! I'd love whatever PDFs you have, through whatever channel you'd be willing to share them. Keep up the great work!

krudsma

Reaction score
Awesome job! I'd love whatever PDFs you have, through whatever channel you'd be willing to share them. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I threw a bunch of the pattern drafting and construction stuff I referenced here. I also highly, highly recommend David Page Coffin's book Shirtmaking - it's rather old and some of the styles in it are a little dated, but the information and techniques in there are invaluable. I was very saddened to learn that he passed away earlier this year, as I relied on his book heavily. I rewatched the companion DVD so many times it felt like I knew him, in the same way you come to know your favorite podcast hosts.

This YouTube channel was also incredibly helpful and I wound up using a bunch of their techniques as well. They don't really explain what they're doing as they're doing it, but once you've got a basic understanding of the different pieces it's easy to follow along.

Lastly, I recommend checking out the Bespoke Cutter and Tailor Forum - lots of friendly and patient people there with a ton of knowledge. I got lots of advice on fitting from them. Lots of German folks there, who have a knack for perfectionism.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help with!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I threw a bunch of the pattern drafting and construction stuff I referenced here. I also highly, highly recommend David Page Coffin's book Shirtmaking - it's rather old and some of the styles in it are a little dated, but the information and techniques in there are invaluable. I was very saddened to learn that he passed away earlier this year, as I relied on his book heavily. I rewatched the companion DVD so many times it felt like I knew him, in the same way you come to know your favorite podcast hosts.

This YouTube channel was also incredibly helpful and I wound up using a bunch of their techniques as well. They don't really explain what they're doing as they're doing it, but once you've got a basic understanding of the different pieces it's easy to follow along.

Lastly, I recommend checking out the Bespoke Cutter and Tailor Forum - lots of friendly and patient people there with a ton of knowledge. I got lots of advice on fitting from them. Lots of German folks there, who have a knack for perfectionism.

Thank you so much. Can’t say when I’ll start but this should help a lot!

krudsma

Reaction score
Not the best photo, but here's one of the other ones I made - another vintage seersucker fabric, this time in green and white. I initially planned to do a button down collar, but upon trying it on I liked the floppiness of the unlined collar on it's own. I may still make it a button down one day.

PXL_20210911_151236106.MP.jpg

One innovation of which I'm particularly proud is a little glasses-arm-keeper that I've hidden in the pocket. Now I can tie my shoes or pick up a lucky penny without dropping my shades on the ground:
PXL_20210911_172950534.MP.jpg PXL_20210911_172941710.MP.jpg

andy b.

Reaction score
Not the best photo, but here's one of the other ones I made - another vintage seersucker fabric, this time in green and white. I initially planned to do a button down collar, but upon trying it on I liked the floppiness of the unlined collar on it's own. I may still make it a button down one day.

View attachment 1667070

One innovation of which I'm particularly proud is a little glasses-arm-keeper that I've hidden in the pocket. Now I can tie my shoes or pick up a lucky penny without dropping my shades on the ground:

Excellent posts! Believe it or not, I was also working on shirt making over the pandemic. I'm a similar slender build such as yourself, and off the rack shirts rarely fit right. And, I was also going to do button down collars (I even bought the smaller buttons) but decided against it for the same reasons you did. Weird.

After going through the process, I have much respect for the bespoke shirtmakers who can have a shirt whipped up in a few days.

I like the eyeglass holder idea!

krudsma

Reaction score
Excellent posts! Believe it or not, I was also working on shirt making over the pandemic. I'm a similar slender build such as yourself, and off the rack shirts rarely fit right. And, I was also going to do button down collars (I even bought the smaller buttons) but decided against it for the same reasons you did. Weird.

After going through the process, I have much respect for the bespoke shirtmakers who can have a shirt whipped up in a few days.

I like the eyeglass holder idea!

Funny! We should swap shirts sometime.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent work! Shirts are particularly challenging to pattern and sew. I’ve taken some Patternmaking courses at part of my degree program, and the knowledge is invaluable. I’ve done trousers and jackets, but not shirts yet. That’s next on my list. Thanks for the resources!

krudsma

Reaction score
Excellent work! Shirts are particularly challenging to pattern and sew. I’ve taken some Patternmaking courses at part of my degree program, and the knowledge is invaluable. I’ve done trousers and jackets, but not shirts yet. That’s next on my list. Thanks for the resources!

Thank you! Trousers are my next goal, I just finished a video series on the bespoke trouser process and I'm excited to take a swing. If you've got any trouser drafting/making resources I'd love to see them.

stendec

Reaction score

View attachment 1665893

Your designs look great! I especially love the glasses holder hidden in the pocket. Very clever!

I've also started sewing my own clothing over the past two years. I'm tall and slender, so my initial goal was just to modify my existing clothes to make them fit a bit better. (Off-the-rack shirts rarely fit me well.) However, one thing led to another, and then I started making my own shirts from patterns, then reverse-engineering some of my existing shirts I liked best.

I've mostly been making casual shirts since that's what I wear most (for dress shirts I still get those custom tailored---so much work to make a good dress shirt). I just made a turtleneck and now I'm onto making baseball caps. Next I'd like to try making an overcoat and trousers. (I once went to tailor and he quoted me $6000 for an overcoat---I think I'll make my own!) It feels very empowering to know how to modify clothing or make new garments from scratch.

I tip my hat to you on taking the leap to make your own clothing!

stendec

Reaction score
I couldn't find a classic menswear style baseball cap that I was excited to wear, so I tried sewing my own.

IMG_2471.jpeg

My first two attempts didn't go so well (I broke my sewing machine trying to sew through the bill on the first hat), but on my third attempt I finally ended up with a result I'm happy with. I used a wool coating fabric with a polyester lining. It's a warm hat, good for winter wear. I guess I'll have to sew a linen hat in time for spring :)

Next I want to try sewing additional caps using some other suiting fabrics. I also want to experiment with an interior bemberg cupro lining.

krudsma

Reaction score
Your designs look great! I especially love the glasses holder hidden in the pocket. Very clever!

I've also started sewing my own clothing over the past two years. I'm tall and slender, so my initial goal was just to modify my existing clothes to make them fit a bit better. (Off-the-rack shirts rarely fit me well.) However, one thing led to another, and then I started making my own shirts from patterns, then reverse-engineering some of my existing shirts I liked best.

I've mostly been making casual shirts since that's what I wear most (for dress shirts I still get those custom tailored---so much work to make a good dress shirt). I just made a turtleneck and now I'm onto making baseball caps. Next I'd like to try making an overcoat and trousers. (I once went to tailor and he quoted me $6000 for an overcoat---I think I'll make my own!) It feels very empowering to know how to modify clothing or make new garments from scratch.

I tip my hat to you on taking the leap to make your own clothing!

Funny! I feel like I could have written that exact same post myself. I wonder if a disproportionate amount of DIY shirtmakers are tall and skinny. Excellent work on the cap, it looks great. I look forward to seeing the other stuff you make!

As for overcoats, I'm just about done altering a vintage cashmere balmacaan and it's much easier than I expected, mainly because of the raglan sleeve. So if you don't want to spend $6000, take a trip down to your local thrift or vintage store and see if you can find something that's long enough and you can likely take in the body and the shoulders. Even if it doesn't turn out right, I find it helpful to explore the innards of garments like that to get a feel for how they're constructed.

Best of luck!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member