• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

localful

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine except it's the bottom button and 2 others about chest level. From what I've seen it has to do with buttonhole stitching being too loose and elastic. After buying mine I've checked out a half dozen or so at various times in store and they all seem to suffer from that in some way or another. A shame because otherwise it is a great shirt though the buttons do feel cheap. At the price point guess that's what you can expect.

Yeah, I have similar experiences. The two top buttons come unbuttoned from time to time. I also felt that the buttons were attached loosely. I actually had one fall off...

jmiller123

Reaction score
Per the recent discussion of N1 jackets, Imogene and Willie has an option included in a just released collaboration with Alpha Industries, taking a few of the AI patterns from their vault and re-releasing them made in the USA. I could see these slotting in with the repro/rrl looks. The prices are a bit high but Imogene Willie usually does a black Friday weekend with 20% off which would make them a bit more reasonable.

blue-deck-03.jpg

sage-bomber-01.jpg

quilted-vest-01.jpg

jmiller123

Reaction score
Definitely a bit high price wise considering the lack of wool/fur.
Agreed, don't think it's the best value proposition but I do think it looks nice. I see I+W in the same light as RRL- not in the same league regarding construction/materials as Mccoys, Buzz, etc but good enough if you like the styling.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Per the earlier chambray discussion; RMC is great I've got the USN and 8HU shirts, I prefer the fit on the 8HU but the flap pockets on the USN one are much more practical. Warehouse make a mighty nice chambray too if you have the patience to track one down

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with this thread, but...

The direct-ordered Rota trousers have not worked out so well. A size 54 with a revised higher waist is still laughably small, with very tight hips and a 31" upper thigh, if measured from the crotch seam to the outseam. The Leg opening is 19.5cm (which was expected).

Continuing the disconnect in their manner of measurement comparative to my experience, it appears they measure thigh width very differently. Or what I took to be thigh width, but what is "upper leg". The problem is, their diagram would suggest otherwise. So, what I understood to be a 37cm thigh is much less.

I've raised with Andrea. I feel I should take partial responsibility for not having read the text accompanying the diagram (caveat emptor). However, I also feel that the information they provide is contradictory.

And, to the original question, their pants are very small.

View attachment 1702470

Upon further reflection, I don't think I understand how thigh is measured accurately to begin with. So any misunderstanding is probably my fault more than anyone's.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For something a little different, I really enjoy this Studio D'Artisan chambray. The fabric is really nice and hearty, and I like the asymmetrical pockets and kind of "false popover" design with the hidden buttons. More French factory worker than US navy surplus vibes, I'd say.

View attachment 1702339

I love that shirt model and I am trying to track down a black wabash version.

garigo

Reaction score
Who makes the best casual chambray shirt?
Right now I'm looking at the McCoys U.S.N, Freewheelers Neal and the workshirt by The Flat Head but finding it difficult to choose one.

Not exactly repro chambray, but I think this denim shirt in the latest Stòffa collection looks awesome. I ordered one and I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

SH005_WashedIndigoWorkShirt_41d21ac0-0174-4ad2-9121-55bd4288c6be_1080x.jpg

GaiusM

Reaction score
Upon further reflection, I don't think I understand how thigh is measured accurately to begin with. So any misunderstanding is probably my fault more than anyone's.
There are a ton of ways to measure thigh width that vary among manufacturers and retailers so don't blame yourself too much. For example this is How Hinoya does it
size-11.jpg
Note how it goes straight across the leg at an essentially arbitrary point, defined as "10cm from the inseam". Other shops go from 6cm, some starting from the inseam itself and either 'straight' across or at an angle. The angles vary as well and tend to be vague. It's why one shop will say 32cm, another 31, and a third 30.5, all concerning the same article of clothing. All are correct because they all use different methods of measurement for the thigh. This is less pronounced in rise, waist, length and hem width as those are all fairly regular measurements while thigh width isn't.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of ways to measure thigh width that vary among manufacturers and retailers so don't blame yourself too much. For example this is How Hinoya does it
View attachment 1703526
Note how it goes straight across the leg at an essentially arbitrary point, defined as "10cm from the inseam". Other shops go from 6cm, some starting from the inseam itself and either 'straight' across or at an angle. The angles vary as well and tend to be vague. It's why one shop will say 32cm, another 31, and a third 30.5, all concerning the same article of clothing. All are correct because they all use different methods of measurement for the thigh. This is less pronounced in rise, waist, length and hem width as those are all fairly regular measurements while thigh width isn't.

Bless you.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.