• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

GaiusM

Reaction score
How much do Buzz Rickson chinos shrink?
I have three pairs, two Original Spec and one 1945. No noticable shrinkage in the waist. Mine didn't shrink lengthwise either but I air dry them. Good chinos but stiff and take a long time to break in and soften.
For precise measurements, see the following link and scroll down to the specs. It's in Japanese, the numbers from left to right are
waist/length/front rise/back rise/thigh width/leg opening

MythReindeer

Reaction score
Little shrink width wise, significant shrink length wise. Rise is crazy high too.

@Pulpo may want to chime in with his expertise.
Thanks! I'm digging some other high rise chinos, so that sounds like my kind of crazy. I have some Bronson chinos that are supposedly modeled after the 1942 spec, and the Buzz ones seem similar if a tiny bit trimmer.

I have three pairs, two Original Spec and one 1945. No noticable shrinkage in the waist. Mine didn't shrink lengthwise either but I air dry them. Good chinos but stiff and take a long time to break in and soften.
For precise measurements, see the following link and scroll down to the specs. It's in Japanese, the numbers from left to right are
waist/length/front rise/back rise/thigh width/leg opening
Thanks! I was looking at the 1942 pair, which I was able to find a listing for on Rakuten using the one you provided. History Preservation and the Rakuten listing have slightly different waist measurements for a size 30 (31 inches and approximately 31.5 inches, respectively). Perhaps it's a rounding thing, or maybe I'm being too obsessive. I'm just always nervous about ordering things I have no experience with.

GaiusM

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm digging some other high rise chinos, so that sounds like my kind of crazy. I have some Bronson chinos that are supposedly modeled after the 1942 spec, and the Buzz ones seem similar if a tiny bit trimmer.

Thanks! I was looking at the 1942 pair, which I was able to find a listing for on Rakuten using the one you provided. History Preservation and the Rakuten listing have slightly different waist measurements for a size 30 (31 inches and approximately 31.5 inches, respectively). Perhaps it's a rounding thing, or maybe I'm being too obsessive. I'm just always nervous about ordering things I have no experience with.
My mistake, meant to link 1942. Glad you found it. The Hinoya listing on Rakuten is very accurate for all their items, more so than Denimio.

humble dresser

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience or familiarity with the Harvesty label of Japan? Intrigued by their "Circus" pants, which appear to be extremely baggy.

Pulpo

Reaction score
Little shrink width wise, significant shrink length wise. Rise is crazy high too.

@Pulpo may want to chime in with his expertise.

Would love to share my thoughts but I haven't actually washed mine yet lol ?

I would definitely recommend sizing up as they are trim in the waste and measure about an inch smaller than their numerical size off the rack. Definitely true high rise as well, I wear them at or over my waist—and I love it. They also are a relatively robust chino fabric so they don't stretch much.

Regretting getting the "slimmer fit" model however, saw this picture of fellow Toyo Enthusiast tim rogers and I covet that 1942 volume.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Do you guys have any reviews or opinions of N1 Deck Jackets? Am I correct in thinking the usual good suspects to look into would be Buzz Rickson, Real McCoys? Any I am missing, even value propositions?

Pulpo

Reaction score
Do you guys have any reviews or opinions of N1 Deck Jackets? Am I correct in thinking the usual good suspects to look into would be Buzz Rickson, Real McCoys? Any I am missing, even value propositions?

Iron Heart also has nice looking deck jackets! Haven't tried the style personally but all those options should be relatively indestructible.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others may chime in, but from my own experience the majority of difference will just come down to material quality and true to spec details. From what I’ve read the Buzz is closest in spec in regards to the lining material composition. BR is probably the best value imo. I have the McCoys version and the lining is a bit more luxe as is the full alpaca collar. On the higher end side, the Freewheelers version is a little nicer than the RMC in materials/lining but not sure if it’s worth the upcharge for this style of jacket.

Hard to go wrong as a winter jacket though as I’ve used mine for the last three years and it’s held up great.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
All great options, thank you! I think I saw Blue Blue, or Pure Blue, had a good one too. Usual suspects, looks like it's gonna cost a bit...hopefully can find a secondhand one, ideally without the USN printing anywhere. Thanks, all!

MythReindeer

Reaction score
Would love to share my thoughts but I haven't actually washed mine yet lol ?

I would definitely recommend sizing up as they are trim in the waste and measure about an inch smaller than their numerical size off the rack. Definitely true high rise as well, I wear them at or over my waist—and I love it. They also are a relatively robust chino fabric so they don't stretch much.

Regretting getting the "slimmer fit" model however, saw this picture of fellow Toyo Enthusiast tim rogers and I covet that 1942 volume.

Do you have the "original spec" fit? Those do seem slimmer than the tagged size, whereas the 1942 measurements seem a bit larger than tagged size.

Pulpo

Reaction score
Do you have the "original spec" fit? Those do seem slimmer than the tagged size, whereas the 1942 measurements seem a bit larger than tagged size.

Yes I believe you are 100% correct. I have this model here from Rodeo Japan: https://rodeo-japan-pine-avenue.com...limmer-fit-us-army-chino-pants-br40025a-beige

Which seems to line up exactly with the "Original Spec" description here: https://www.historypreservation.com...-ricksons-original-spec-khaki-chino-trousers/

Well, I just bought a pair of the 1942 in size 36 because why the heck not, so I'll let you know how they work out!

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All great options, thank you! I think I saw Blue Blue, or Pure Blue, had a good one too. Usual suspects, looks like it's gonna cost a bit...hopefully can find a secondhand one, ideally without the USN printing anywhere. Thanks, all!
Don’t forget Pike Brothers, not as premium but most everyone who’s had one that I read about rates ‘em.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirkameny