• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a MTO pair of Zonkey Boot ZB238 model NST boots in purple shrunken bull leather with a Vibram Eaton sole on the Classic last. Made with a brown edge and a Norvegese welt.
I think they’re beautifully lasted, using a handsome boot pattern, with an interesting textured leather. However, they’re very purple. Not sorta/kinda/maybe purple, but seriously purple.

Also, how does one shrink a bull to make leather?

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trip back to the AE factory was great, and the Horween tannery tour was also excellent. We learned a lot about the process of all kinds of leathers, including shell. It sounds like if we want shell prices to go back down, we are going to need to start eating more horse meat. Basically all of the price increase is driven by horse supply shortages and having to pay a ton of money for what little horse they can get. The only have like 1/3 of their shell tanning vats running because they just don’t have enough material to fill all of them. Tons of demand for the shells, but so little supply.

No photos of my Shoebank haul yet, but here’s the breakdown…

F2 SMU McAllister spectator in mahogany calf and green suede (stunning).

Brown suede Acheson.

Bourbon calf Delray.

For the event, they offered the Williams longwing blucher with an added MacNeil medallion in both tan Dublin and brown grain calf. I ordered both materials in the appropriately named MacWilliams.

When I arrived home last night, I found out I had a surprise boot delivery over the weekend…

Purple shrunken bull split toe boots from Zonkey Boot.

View attachment 2187871 View attachment 2187873 View attachment 2187875 View attachment 2187877

I Love this crazy sh#t.
They are unique and sexy! Bravo

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they’re beautifully lasted, using a handsome boot pattern, with an interesting textured leather. However, they’re very purple. Not sorta/kinda/maybe purple, but seriously purple.

Also, how does one shrink a bull to make leather?

Ever seen “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids?”

As it turns out, tons of leathers are shrunk during the tanning process to change the structure and rigidity of the leather.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’re kinda growing on me. I just don’t know where I’d wear purple.

You just wake up and put them on with no regard to the rest of your outfit.

Honestly, I get more compliments on the stupid stuff that I own than anything else. It’s eye catching and kinda “ugly”, but people do notice that it is quality, even if it isn’t tasteful.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever seen “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids?”

As it turns out, tons of leathers are shrunk during the tanning process to change the structure and rigidity of the leather.
Yes, I know. I was just being silly because I find the name amusing.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know. I was just being silly because I find the name amusing.

From their website:

"Based on full-grown bull necks this material receives its strong grain pattern by an intentional change in PH value of the tanning solvent during the tanning process. The fibres under the grain of the leather are curling up like a woollen pullover which has been washed too hot. This shrinking process gives the leather a unique elasticity and makes outstandingly comfortable shoes. Our Shrunken Bull is hand dyed, as the Bavarian Calf."

drewzter

Reaction score
late 90s pair of grayson tassels in black calf. AE's custom calf so full grain. notice the finer welt stitching and how the welt goes under the heel on a 360 welt to look more like a 270. better last shape I think as well. This is the main reason why I think the old pairs are better.

please share if they don't fit. someone should own a vintage pair!
IMG_0876[1].JPG
IMG_0880[1].JPG
IMG_0879[1].JPG
IMG_0887[1].JPG
IMG_0881[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL and cicada shells today.

IMG_7936.jpg

Featured Sponsor