• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find that most reputable cobblers charge more (even significantly) than you quoted. Bedo's is the most expensive I know of. However, he's also quite likely the best in the business right now.

I've used two cobblers that charged similar rates to those you quoted and both did shoddy work (and this was a few years ago). I can't imagine anyone charging $125 for a quality resole. Even AE's highly controversial recrafts start at $150 these days- and you absolutely should not send them something you really care about.

I disagree on sending AE stuff. AE's workmen are quite capable.

I paid 125 for my resoles done last year and the year before at Minas, but again, they closed shop sadly. I can still get 125 dollar resoles at most cobbling shops in NYC, or at the most, 140 or so.

B. Nelson still does their standard resole for 135 - JR soles for 180. Not bad.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I disagree on sending AE stuff. AE's workmen are quite capable.

I paid 125 for my resoles done last year and the year before at Minas, but again, they closed shop sadly. I can still get 125 dollar resoles at most cobbling shops in NYC, or at the most, 140 or so.

B. Nelson still does their standard resole for 135 - JR soles for 180. Not bad.
There have been plenty of stories here, on the facebook group, and even on Reddit about the issues with AE recrafts. If I recall correctly, there was even talk that they'll re-welt but not reuse the original holes in the uppers. There were enough complaints about their recrafting service for me to know that any AE I care enough about to resole deserves better.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been plenty of stories here, on the facebook group, and even on Reddit about the issues with AE recrafts. If I recall correctly, there was even talk that they'll re-welt but not reuse the original holes in the uppers. There were enough complaints about their recrafting service for me to know that any AE I care enough about to resole deserves better

I personally have never had a problem with AE, though I can see how some people may have had other experiences.

AE is one of those brands where it is hard to know what you're going to get.

I'd rather get my shoes recrafted by a cobbler in general, but AE is repairing my defective Broadstreets gratis, so I am not complaining right now.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally have never had a problem with AE, though I can see how some people may have had other experiences.

AE is one of those brands where it is hard to know what you're going to get.

I'd rather get my shoes recrafted by a cobbler in general, but AE is repairing my defective Broadstreets gratis, so I am not complaining right now.
I forgot I actually did have AE recraft 1 pair. It was a brooks brothers black 5th ave. It came back looking great. One small problem. They mislasted one shoe and it came in 2 widths smaller. If you cannot replace the shoe, I wouldn’t send it to them. At least not from my experience.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did this thread die on Friday? I'll point out that I have had 2 pairs recrafted from AE (both pairs I later sold). But they both came back perfectly fine in terms of the sole, welt and fit. One pair (Clark Street) had some new damage marks on the upper, but nothing too major. I think I will probably stick with cobblers mostly. I want to try out Porter and Sons eventually because I enjoy their work. They do not offer the customizations that Bedo's will offer, but if you want something more common, they seem like a safe choice.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did this thread die on Friday? I'll point out that I have had 2 pairs recrafted from AE (both pairs I later sold). But they both came back perfectly fine in terms of the sole, welt and fit. One pair (Clark Street) had some new damage marks on the upper, but nothing too major. I think I will probably stick with cobblers mostly. I want to try out Porter and Sons eventually because I enjoy their work. They do not offer the customizations that Bedo's will offer, but if you want something more common, they seem like a safe choice.
I’ve done 4 AE recrafts and a few more “heels only.” Came out great—but they were all eBay or poshmark cheap scores. Sentimental items go to cobblers.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my first AE recrafting experience about 2 months ago. Just a set of replacement heels, but they came back super-fast and had zero issues. Not that I was expecting any issues with a simple heel replacement, but they were a pair of vintage, new-to-me, shell MacNeils and were not sporting the original heels.

Given that the local cobbler I went to a few years back to have some belts shortened sent them back to me fairly mangled, I have far more trust in sending my AEs to AE for recrafting than back to him.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Patriots look more brown on the grass.
IMG_7316.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Sunday forum pals. Prepping for a day with family and grand kids. All good stuff.

IMG_3152.jpg

Edit. Oops, I thought this was going on a different thread.

Last edited:

Geoff928

Reaction score
What I've been wearing lately and my thoughts on the current show that ends tomorrow.

Charcoal Woolymok's on the way to work and at a client's office.
PXL_20230717_142037749.jpg

PXL_20230717_155033649.jpg

Brown shell Strands at a client's desk and standing on a gaudy rug. The synthetic rug was in a government building.
PXL_20230720_161551794.jpg

PXL_20230720_165729705.jpg

Football grain Higgins on itshide commando soles instead of those silly squishy soles. I swapped the laces for a pair of the brown waxed ultra thick laces that AE offered in the past.
PXL_20230717_201907685.jpg

I will always cherish this pair of boots as they were my first custom boot show purchase.
PXL_20230717_201950634.jpg

Wore some Clemson colored socks with these Lake Forest loafers to do some lighthearted trash talk with a client who happens to be a Georgia Bulldogs fan.
PXL_20230717_204214109.jpg

PXL_20230717_204210132.jpg

Burgundy shell Cambridges. As much as I love the exotic shell colors, nothing beats color #8 for versatility.
PXL_20230718_191037073.jpg

PXL_20230718_191055204.jpg

Going to pass on the crocodile loafers because I don't know my fit in that last and that's too much of a gamble for me. Also, I've never owned a bit loafer and I don't know how I feel about them. The chili and walnut are beautiful colors. As for the belts … maybe? I have one more day to decide. I do love my Allen Edmonds lizard belts.

Brown caiman, black caiman, brown hornback, black hornback, brown gator and black gator.
PXL_20230717_194639007.jpg

I called the wonderful people at State Street in Boston to ask if they had interchangeable buckles. The previous lizard belts came with two buckles and snaps to change them out easily, the current offering does not. In my opinion, offering matching exotic belts is a step in the right direction for these special shows. Imagine if we could get blue, green or marbled shell belts with our shoes for the upcoming shell show.

NewDenimBootHead

Reaction score
Good Sunday afternoon everyone. This is my first post to this thread, and I would like to ask for your opinions and some possible assistance.

I recently picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Black Hills derbies in what appear to be a walnut or tan Dublin leather. The shoes are very worn, but I thought I could make them a project shoe and bring them back to life with saddle soap and some venetian shoe cream. I did not know much about the model of shoe, but my observations now are: they were built to be a lightweight, athletic dress shoe, they have celastic heel counters, a foam insole, and no shank for support. There is no toe counter either. They appear to be good year welted shoes, and there is a leather midsole(?).

Main question is, are these shoes recraftable or resole-able? My original thought was to have a cobbler put red, blue or green dainite soles on the shoe with a new Allen Edmonds heel block. I now think that I would want a veg tan leather insole also. I am not sure any of this is worth it at this point. If it can be done, perhaps a cheap resole.

Please provide me with your opinions and thoughts, and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_8931.jpeg
    IMG_8931.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8930.jpeg
    IMG_8930.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8929.jpeg
    IMG_8929.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.