• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I know a big part of the problem with the MacNeil is that they don’t have the cutting plates anymore …

Really? How the heck does a company suddenly not have the cutting plates for a classic style they sold for well over half a century? Forgive me if I sound skeptical but it seems AE uses the ”dog ate my homework” for plates and various lasts too often.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? How the heck does a company suddenly not have the cutting plates for a classic style they sold for well over half a century? Forgive me if I sound skeptical but it seems AE uses the ”dog ate my homework” for plates and various lasts too often.

This^ x 1000.

There is no way in hell AE actually lost anything. The MacNeil was a decided classic. They got rid of it because the long wing is an old style and they want to appeal to a younger crowd.

aeshoes

Reaction score
Can you order me a reverse shell Strand?

I visited the SCP store today. Sadly, Dan was off for the week, but I did get to see Kyle again. I had not been there since 2020 or 2019.

View attachment 1987871
Is that a chilli cordovan higgens mill in the bottom middle shelf? I thought I knew I didnt like the higgens mill boot, I guess I need to get one of these now.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice sunny day for spectators.
IMG_7285.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wingtip boot built on the 1757 last. I love Alden's wingtip boot designs, but I haven't had a chance to try on anything in person -- and being a B width, I doubt I'd have much luck anyway.

Did you try theshoemart? I would think they would have something for you. If it doesn't fit, just send it back at no charge.

Is that a chilli cordovan higgens mill in the bottom middle shelf? I thought I knew I didnt like the higgens mill boot, I guess I need to get one of these now.
Yes, they are.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wingtip boot built on the 1757 last. I love Alden's wingtip boot designs, but I haven't had a chance to try on anything in person -- and being a B width, I doubt I'd have much luck anyway.

Make it in a material that could be worn with jeans or cords, but also dressed up a tad; the old brown burnished calf would be ideal, but cigar, dark chili (Weatherproof?), or even brown CXL would also work. Give it a reverse welt, two or three speedhooks, and put it on a double v-tread or Dainite sole and I'll give you my debit card number immediately.

Alternatively, make something as close to the old Bayfield as you can, also on the 1757. Even if it's just a Fifth Avenue cap on a brown CXL boot with a reverse welt, speed hooks and a v-tread sole (or a magical reappearance of the Toby mini-lug), that's good enough for me.
How about a wingtip on the 2622–cause one should be on the way this fall

columnsofsteam

Reaction score
Did you try theshoemart? I would think they would have something for you. If it doesn't fit, just send it back at no charge.

Unfortunately, they have no 11.5 B boots at all, and even dropping down to an 11 C only gives me a couple plain-toes and some Indys, the itch for which have been scratched by Higgins/Freeports. I keep meaning to carve out some time to stop by Alden Madison and/or Moulded Shoe when I'm in NYC but always manage to get side-tracked. Maybe next year...

How about a wingtip on the 2622–cause one should be on the way this fall

Interesting -- any intel on colors/materials? If they offer it in a B width (which sadly is no guarantee), it'll definitely be worth a try, though I've had a strange experience with Landons. My marbled brown shell pair is one of my best-fitting boots, and my tan nubuck is a pretty solid fit, but no matter how many pairs/sizes I tried in the mahogany calfskin, it just never felt right.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, they have no 11.5 B boots at all, and even dropping down to an 11 C only gives me a couple plain-toes and some Indys, the itch for which have been scratched by Higgins/Freeports. I keep meaning to carve out some time to stop by Alden Madison and/or Moulded Shoe when I'm in NYC but always manage to get side-tracked. Maybe next year...

Interesting -- any intel on colors/materials? If they offer it in a B width (which sadly is no guarantee), it'll definitely be worth a try, though I've had a strange experience with Landons. My marbled brown shell pair is one of my best-fitting boots, and my tan nubuck is a pretty solid fit, but no matter how many pairs/sizes I tried in the mahogany calfskin, it just never felt right.

That's just so sad. I should have known you would have already checked. If you do go to Moulded Shoe, I hope you'll take some pictures. Would love to go there, but ain't happening. I bought my orange plain toe from them and they are good people.

BTW, I wore my blue Strandmoks you sent me yesterday at a party.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Walnut Bartletts in need of a shine and edge dressing. Saw another guy in the customs line entering Korea this morning wearing strands, either walnut or bourbon. Was tempted to say something but wasn't able to discreetly catch his attention and didn't want to cause an international diplomatic episode
IMG20230710165738.jpg
IMG20230710165731.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy waterlogged Monday forum pals. 4 inches of rain in 9 hours does tend to give everything a good soaking. Once upon a time there was a shoe maker who made a made a great LWB that came in a wide range of sizes.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 7.58.03 AM.png

This continued for a very long time until one day they realized it "wasted too much leather" and stopped making the shoe. Even they realized this wasted leather excuse would not work so they promptly "lost the cutting plates." Sensing the unhappiness of the masses over the wasted leather and lost cutting plates they decided to give us this LWB... without a medallion...without a leather sole...in only one width. "Why it's practically the same shoe" they argued.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 7.58.21 AM.png

"Uh, No, it's not the same." So in memory of what once was, I decided to wear my Schautals today.

IMG_3116.jpg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So you're my 11.5B competitor, hah. I was looking for that size in 1757-lasted boots and it's disappointing how little stock is maintained on the website. There seemed to be one remaining HM in snuff suede in 11.5B for some time which I decided to pass on in favor of the light brown suede. In hindsight, I should have gotten the snuff instead.

Here's an interesting find, an old cap toe blucher in navy CXL on the 65 last, size 10D. Screamin' deal for $50 on this like-new pair, I think. It's the Oak Street.

From the holiday 2016 catalog:
2016 Allen Edmonds Holiday II Catalog by Allen Edmonds Shoe Corporation - Issuu - Google Chrom...png

There's a few other interesting AE finds on this site (of which I know nothing), like these $35 olive Neumoks in 12B.

columnsofsteam

Reaction score
So you're my 11.5B competitor, hah. I was looking for that size in 1757-lasted boots and it's disappointing how little stock is maintained on the website. There seemed to be one remaining HM in snuff suede in 11.5B for some time which I decided to pass on in favor of the light brown suede. In hindsight, I should have gotten the snuff instead.
I'm not likely to be much competition these days. Seven years of working for AE gave me all the shoes/boots I can handle, so I've largely been watching from the sidelines since Charleston closed. Those olive Neumoks are tempting as hell, though 😓

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not likely to be much competition these days. Seven years of working for AE gave me all the shoes/boots I can handle, so I've largely been watching from the sidelines since Charleston closed. Those olive Neumoks are tempting as hell, though 😓

Thanks for the response. It's incredible to have a former employee here with us! I remember making my first AE purchase at the Charleston store circa 2015 while my wife and I were on our honeymoon.

As for 11.5B, I like how it hugs the foot in the 1757 boot but an 11D is probably a better fit for me as I'm an 11C on the Brannock.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Make it in a material that could be worn with jeans or cords, but also dressed up a tad; the old brown burnished calf would be ideal, but cigar, dark chili (Weatherproof?), or even brown CXL would also work. Give it a reverse welt, two or three speedhooks, and put it on a double v-tread or Dainite sole and I'll give you my debit card number immediately.

Alternatively, make something as close to the old Bayfield as you can, also on the 1757. Even if it's just a Fifth Avenue cap on a brown CXL boot with a reverse welt, speed hooks and a v-tread sole (or a magical reappearance of the Toby mini-lug), that's good enough for me.
IMG_2688.jpeg
IMG_2842.jpeg

A wing-tip boot on the 1757 last, you say? Yes, one does exist as shown above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members