• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer clothes after Labor Day?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's September 9th in NY and I'm wearing Bermuda shorts and a coral pique shirt, so I guess the calendar doesn't matter all that much.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I used to wear suede shoes in the summer without hesitation. I don't think I did this summer. Then I wore some the day after Labor day. Getting more orthodox (anal?) as I get older.

I will admit to being anal about underwear. I never wear underwear in the summer but the minute after Labor day, I automatically start wearing underwear again, regardless of weather.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I will admit to being anal about underwear. I never wear underwear in the summer but the minute after Labor day, I automatically start wearing underwear again, regardless of weather.

We all have our quirks. It's a year round thing for me.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I could do this and not even violate the cannon, as lightweight flannel was a classic summer suit. I would wear (say) an 11 ounce dove gray or cream flannel in SF in July. Should be warm enough.

This is what I mean. You can wear colors that work for the season, but choose fabrics to suit the temperature. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up spending time each summer in a resort town, so I've always assumed those "rules" were a bit like the country / city rules of the British. Some of what we regard as classic summer clothing - seersucker, white bucks - I see as resort-town clothes. The traditional holidays bookending the summer - Memorial Day and Labor Day - are huge in the resort areas I have frequented. They mark large changes in rental rates, for example, and some stores and services catering to summer guests are only available between those holiday weekends.

So, for me at least, the "rules" are not just about the calendar and the weather, but also about the location.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I wear suede in the summer, white/pink/orange in the winter. You have to be pretty anal to stop wearing an item because of a day in the calender. It feels like it's 100 degrees here in NY today so I'm wearing summer clothes after Labor Day
dozingoff.gif

There are winter and summer shades of these colors. Would you wear a winter shade in summer, and vice versa?

Labor Day isn't an arbitrary date. It marks the last day of summer vacation. Life changes after this day - kids go back to school, tv and radio begin their new seasons, people return from vacations, etc. There is a noticeable change in the "air", a different feeling - summer is over, time to get back to work. Wearing clothes that still says, "summertime, and the livin is easy" just has the wrong vibe. So it's not just the color of the leaves or the temperature. It's also the social environment.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
Labor Day isn't an arbitrary date. It marks the last day of summer vacation. Life changes after this day - kids go back to school, tv and radio begin their new seasons, people return from vacations, etc. There is a noticeable change in the "air", a different feeling - summer is over, time to get back to work. Wearing clothes that still says, "summertime, and the livin is easy" just has the wrong vibe. So it's not just the color of the leaves or the temperature. It's also the social environment.

I have to agree with this. As much as I may want to wear a tan suit I would feel odd. It doesn't hurt that it's going to be pretty cool up here in northern Canada the next week or so...

hchamp

Reaction score
The other and more personal reason I'm inclined to change over is that Labor Day has always been a sad time because of the end of summer and the beginning of school. It's been a long time since I stepped in a classroom, but I did it for so many years that the feeling has never left me. So darker fall colors are a way to express this feeling of yet another summer ended.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member