• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer your question politely despite what it deserves:

I really didn't, and still don't know "how this collar looks" like in person.
I did Google it, and it yielded no results.

To me, the latter would seem intuitively obvious.
Well they clearly didn’t have picture handy and even told you how long it would take to get one - and that’s exactly how it played out. Sometimes you gotta resort to other methods unless you wanna subject yourself to what you eventually would be complaining about.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
Well they clearly didn’t have picture handy and even told you how long it would take to get one - and that’s exactly how it played out. Sometimes you gotta resort to other methods unless you wanna subject yourself to what you eventually would be complaining about.
You've completely and thoroughly misunderstood the post, and what the critique is aimed at.

In spirit of the customer support team at SuitSupply, I shall choose laziness instead of explaining it to you.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've completely and thoroughly misunderstood the post, and what the critique is aimed at.

In spirit of the customer support team at SuitSupply, I shall choose laziness instead of explaining it to you.
I totally get the post but cannot understand the point you are making. Are you going to order a club collar shirt? Or is that no longer an option now that SuSu customer service has committed murder in the first degree?? Enjoy being the victim!

gimpwiz

Reaction score
It does seem silly they don't have a real-life photo. Is it ordered super rarely? Maybe they just... need someone to order it to take a photo for you, and nobody's ordering one.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
It does seem silly they don't have a real-life photo. Is it ordered super rarely? Maybe they just... need someone to order it to take a photo for you, and nobody's ordering one.
It seems illustrations have been prioritized over real-life pictures in many cases when it comes to their custom services, which doesn't really help when there are so many deviations from its real-life counterparts. This is also true with fabrics in the designer; medium blues being navy in real-life, and dark greys being medium grey etc. Not that all photos can be trusted either, considering how heavily they use filters. I've encountered a few cases where the same fabric on two different products seemed like two different types of fabrics due to the heavy filter used.

That aside, I doubt it's their best-selling collar - clearly. I know SS used to have collar samples (looking like detachable collars) in their stores. Not sure if this is still the case.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Color accuracy is such a huge can of worms. If I was in the business of selling something where color accuracy was desirable, I'd be sure to compare the photos on a proper, color calibrated monitor, probably a reference monitor, versus the actual cloth in good light.

Even then, the problems are obvious: cloth looks different in different light, and good studio light is not the same as daylight (though it can be approximated) and definitely not the same as indoor fluorescent or LED light. Especially since there's a lot of different LED lights with unique spectra. And beyond that, a calibrated reference monitor is not the same as your iphone or mac, let alone shitbox monitor or shitbox laptop.

kubaba5

Reaction score
So I was today at SuSu store in London to take my measurments. Overall experience was pretty good, however they guys did not use tailors’ measure to measure me 🤔 (just did it using bare hands). Anyway the talk was quite professional and satisfying, but now when I look at my passport I see that the whole measurment is based on size 25 (which susu claims to be up to 168cm height) when I have about 178cm height. There are some alternations e.g. With longer vent etc. But isn’t it some kind of mistake? I really don’t want it to be too short or something… I have already 2 sportcoats from susu of size 48, which, according to their page, will be at least 2cm longer than this one.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
So I was today at SuSu store in London to take my measurments. Overall experience was pretty good, however they guys did not use tailors’ measure to measure me 🤔 (just did it using bare hands). Anyway the talk was quite professional and satisfying, but now when I look at my passport I see that the whole measurment is based on size 25 (which susu claims to be up to 168cm height) when I have about 178cm height. There are some alternations e.g. With longer vent etc. But isn’t it some kind of mistake? I really don’t want it to be too short or something… I have already 2 sportcoats from susu of size 48, which, according to their page, will be at least 2cm longer than this one.
The guys at Stockholm took measurements of me. The resulting MTM jacket was not a bad fit per se, but it is highly evident that said fit manifests the current slimmer and shorter jacket trend.

Still, if there is free return I highly suggest just order one for the sake of obtaining a reference point. You will probably quickly realize what you want and don't want.

G.Gatz

Reaction score
Thinking of ordering MTM wool trousers from Suitsupply, but undecided on whether to go with the tropical wool, stretch wool (99% wool, 1% elastane), or stick with the tried and true S110s.

Live on west coast, got both sunny and rainy days - just need something for a daily beater that can handle transit/work and can relatively hold up in spring/summer/fall.

I prefer to run cold rather than hot. In fall, if it gets too chilly, I'm prepared to wear a merino baselayer leggings.

Would like forum members' insights into which fabric to go with, what weight (the fabric weights for Suitsupply's all-seasons in the fabrics I'm keen on are ~260-290), etc.

I understand that material and weight are not the only aspects to consider, as how the fabric is weaved plays a big role in its breathability and coolness.

Thanks!

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Skip stretch wool.

260-290gm is reasonably all-weather for much of the west coast, but given that you said it rains, I'm assuming Portland or Seattle rather than SF bay, Sac, LA, or SD. Obviously there are other places people live but ...

In Portland or Seattle I'd definitely look at a workhorse like a VBC perennial 110s in the 260-290gm range. As a matter of some coincidence, my first suit was literally that, a VBC perennial charcoal 260gm 110s (VBC AR 2257 31 520). I think a good number of suitsupply suits use a similar fabric if not that exact one in various shades.

Though still, do your best to not be caught in the rain in it too much. Keep an overcoat in the winter, poncho in the summer, or something. Suit canvassing does not want to get properly wet.

To me, tropical wool is more useful for California, especially if you're more than a few miles inland. When I lived in Portland the summers weren't quite hot enough - in my opinion - and Seattle is a bit cooler. That said, if you really really hate being hot, then sure, go lighter. I wouldn't trust suitsupply 'tropical wool' to be a true workhorse though, often lighter weights are more fragile.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
As previously mentioned in this thread, knowing what you want and what fit you want is very important if you want a great garment from SuitSupply. A large portion of the "style experts" are not reliable in that regard.
The guys at Stockholm took measurements of me. The resulting MTM jacket was not a bad fit per se, but it is highly evident that said fit manifests the current slimmer and shorter jacket trend.

Still, if there is free return I highly suggest just order one for the sake of obtaining a reference point. You will probably quickly realize what you want and don't want.
They love to see that butt chopped in half.
Thinking of ordering MTM wool trousers from Suitsupply, but undecided on whether to go with the tropical wool, stretch wool (99% wool, 1% elastane), or stick with the tried and true S110s.

Live on west coast, got both sunny and rainy days - just need something for a daily beater that can handle transit/work and can relatively hold up in spring/summer/fall.

I prefer to run cold rather than hot. In fall, if it gets too chilly, I'm prepared to wear a merino baselayer leggings.

Would like forum members' insights into which fabric to go with, what weight (the fabric weights for Suitsupply's all-seasons in the fabrics I'm keen on are ~260-290), etc.

I understand that material and weight are not the only aspects to consider, as how the fabric is weaved plays a big role in its breathability and coolness.

Thanks!
Yeah, drop the elastane as stated above.

I'm a little uncertain what climate you live in, so it's a bit hard to give you advice. At what temperatures do you expect to wear this in?

Tropical wool is very breathable, light, and does crease a little bit. It's a summer fabric, I would definitely not use it outside of summer where I live.

The traveler wool fabrics are a bit heavier, but just as breathable and creases less. Perhaps a safer option.

You could even go heavyer with the 4ply fabrics, which is also an open weave and creases very little. I'd say the 4ply fabrics are too hot for the warmest part of the summer, though.

kubaba5

Reaction score
I was always wondering, what do they do with returned custom made garments? 🧐

Btw. If the basenof the sportcoat is 25, does it mean that the button will be higher than in 50?

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I mean, why stretch wool?

Elastane doesn't last as long as wool - I've seen complaints from folk that the elastane threads were visibly snapping from old age and wear. I can't imagine it doing favors for drape. You get a little bit better anti-wrinkle out of it, but I don't think that's worth it.

jko

Reaction score
For added comfort and wrinkle-resistance. Sounds to me like those qualities might be favorable in his situation:
just need something for a daily beater that can handle transit/work and can relatively hold up in spring/summer/fall.

Elastane doesn't last as long as wool - I've seen complaints from folk that the elastane threads were visibly snapping from old age and wear.
And I've seen complaints in this thread about wool trousers disintegrating after only one season of use. Just like there are different quality wool fibers, there are different quality elastane fibers. Some even say that elastane adds durability to a fabric.

Most of the discussion is anecdotal and there doesn't seem to be anything definitive, so I wouldn't rule stretch wool out just yet.

And I'd imagine that resistance to wrinkling and sagging would only help with drape.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffwe