• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Shopping NY

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Gents, I am in need of some new clothes for work (law firm).  Specifically, I need about 3-4 suits and at least one pair of dress shoes and possibly some dress shirts or ties.  For suits, I am looking for something fairly conservative in blues and grays with canvas being a must.  I am not interested in paying for Brioni or Kiton quality but one of the suits should be a very high standard (engagement party).  I am thinking of heading to Woodbury Commons in January.  Is this a good time of year to go or should I wait until February?  Since I will be already in the state of New York, should I make a trip to New York as well?  What types of prices can one expect at Filene's Basement, Century 21, etc. on suits (Sameulsohn, Canali, Vestimenta, etc)?  Before anyone says anything, I will continue to search Ebay for deals.  Thanks in advance.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ranjeev,

First, sorry not to get back to you about the Zegna NC -- it was actually a 44L.

Anyways, I have never been to Woodbury, so I can't comment on it specifically. But you'd be wise to go there whenever it makes logistical sense for you. Baldessarini suits at Hugo Boss are cool, and sometimes they have a decent stock of them. For $500, I think that is a great deal. Zegna has Zegna blue label for similar prices. (Also, you might want to go to Nieman's and try the plain color Zegna three buttons -- a guy on Ebay sells the EXACT same suit for about 600).

Last Call is fairly high prices, I've heard, so that's one where you should find out when they are having sales. At Filene's Basement (not sure where the closest one to you is), Oxxfords go to 800 during sale times (they hold regular "suit events") with Hickey Freeman going down to $450. Canali suits still stay high at FB, going down only to $600 during sales. Personally, I wear my Oxxford more than any other item of clothing in my closet (I ended up buying only one) -- this is partly a function of its color, but also its styling and comfort. It comes off a bit bland at first, but a good tailoring job makes it fit a little closer and its so unpretentious looking.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go straight to Manhattan & skip Woodbury. Woodbury is over-rated nowadays. Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf, C21 and many flagships have their final reductions throughout January. The best time is between early and mid January when the selections are still relatively good.

If you still have spare time you can drop by Woodbury on your way back.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackdaniels23d