• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilson13

Reaction score
I think it inhibits clothiers from the willingness to innovate when they know someone out there willing to do the same thing and pass it off as their own. Hints are fine - hell, most music out there borrows from musical elements spanning most genres - but a direct reproduction is just blatant theft.

I work in a law firm that does a lot of IP work, and the cost that fighting for IP rights entails is sky high, and almost always a crapshoot, in the end.

But it’s not the same thing - quality of construction, materials, fit, etc. will be different. And if it truly is the exact same, one must ask why the higher priced place has such high prices (let’s exclude outlier situations like sweat shops, “dumping”, etc.).

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad pic of the linen cotton trousers in cream. Paired with linen shirt and last years hopsack blazer in bright blue.

94C5522A-1500-467C-BE74-32995F7249C8.jpeg

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I just care about looking great at great prices and SM does that for me with aplomb.

I mean sure, I wish we were all financial bankers with seven figure salaries that can shell out a pretty penny for a custom made Neapolitan suit or whatever, but not everyone has that in reach. SM is bringing styles and fabrics that ordinarily I may not be able to afford where I am right now in life and I for one am glad that I can still look like a million bucks and stand out amongst a crowd without punching my wallet into kingdom come.

As an average customer who is not as deep into custom suiting and styles as some, I think SM is a godsend. And tbh, to me, I honestly think that in the price bracket we're dealing with, their suits are better, more unique, and more stylish than major players like Moore's and TipTop who charge similar prices for more substandard or I dunno, lame suits. Thats what I used to have to deal with and now that I realize I can get better stuff for the same price or even less, I'm pretty much buying all my **** from SM.

The only issue I have is missing out on cool **** like the green Cotton suit or the copper linen suit or the medium Heather suit, but that's more on me for waiting than on SM for not trying cool ****.

hms056

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping to get some fit advice (and add another irl image of the afb fresco for anyone that was still curious). On the left is the 38R contemp, the right is the 40R slim. Please excuse the poor pictures/posing.

I'm thinking that the 40R looks both too long and too big, though the chest feels like it fits me a little better. Honestly, not super jazzed about the way the arms fit on either jacket, though that may be due to the fact that I will need to shorten the sleeves no matter which size I take. It also looks like I have a dropped shoulder that contributes to an unsightly back. Curious to hear your takes.

front buttoned.png
front.png
profile.png
back.png

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
The law determines what is theft and what is not. The lines are drawn based on what we believe is in the best interest of the community. There has to be a balance of benefit to the customers and to the innovators in order to encourage innovation without stiffiling competition.

It is a rare set of circumstances under which a company like S&M could possibly violate anyone’s rights; even if making blatant, direct, intentional, copies.

You may find it distasteful, but it is certainly not theft, and frankly, it is what the laws actively attempt to promote: increased customer access and competition for goods and services.

That is what the law says, yes. My point was intended more so to address the ethical perspective, as opposed to the legal. Hence why I used the term "theft" so liberally.

Let me ask you this. Do you agree with the law, in this case? Every time you see an iteration of the EG Galway produced by some other company, are you convinced it's ethically sound practice?

I'm enjoying this discussion, though I hope it's not boring the nails out of everyone. :rotflmao:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping to get some fit advice (and add another irl image of the afb fresco for anyone that was still curious). On the left is the 38R contemp, the right is the 40R slim. Please excuse the poor pictures/posing.

I'm thinking that the 40R looks both too long and too big, though the chest feels like it fits me a little better. Honestly, not super jazzed about the way the arms fit on either jacket, though that may be due to the fact that I will need to shorten the sleeves no matter which size I take. It also looks like I have a dropped shoulder that contributes to an unsightly back. Curious to hear your takes.

I think the 38R looks better and will be good to go once you fix the sleeve length. But, if you aren't comfortable with the fit in the chest, maybe that should be addressed as well.

The back is not bad for RTW and will likely look better (1) when you remove the basting stitches and (2) after you break it in a bit. My first SM jacket had a crazy looking back the first two wears and then settled into a really nice fit.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is what the law says, yes. My point was intended more so to address the ethical perspective, as opposed to the legal. Hence why I used the term "theft" so liberally.

Let me ask you this. Do you agree with the law, in this case? Every time you see an iteration of the EG Galway produced by some other company, are you convinced it's ethically sound practice?

I'm enjoying this discussion, though I hope it's not boring the nails out of everyone. :rotflmao:
It's like watching an episode of Suits but starring clothes nerds on the internet

Wilson13

Reaction score

Wait, that’s the Air Force Blue? The color is way off either in your pics (most likely) or the website pics.

38R, though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member