• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Thanks. That particular one isn't available. It was a FW2020 release. Fabric code is S1592-15577/A1.

This is the same yarn, undyed brown, but a houndstooth pattern instead of PoW https://www.spierandmackay.com/prod...-cut---full-canvas-s1592-16814b2-nesc-01-fw22

Here I am in both
View attachment 2041793 View attachment 2041795 View attachment 2041797 View attachment 2041799 View attachment 2041801 View attachment 2041803

Love it! I am now tempted to buy that houndstooth. I have this one from last year, also undyed and it goes with everything business causal. Nice taste in watches too!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it! I am now tempted to buy that houndstooth. I have this one from last year, also undyed and it goes with everything business causal. Nice taste in watches too!

Agreed, that's a great jacket 😎
IMG_20211117_163806.jpg

If you're interested in acquiring a time piece, throw me a message. I'm going to list a couple of dress/vintage watches on here soon.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I am still so utterly perplexed at Spier's decision (and now seeming refusal, since I've annoyed them on social media a few times requesting it) to no longer list the weight of a given fabric. Like...why? You obviously know the weight, and it is quite literally less effort to type out.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I am still so utterly perplexed at Spier's decision (and now seeming refusal, since I've annoyed them on social media a few times requesting it) to no longer list the weight of a given fabric. Like...why? You obviously know the weight, and it is quite literally less effort to type out.
It made regular customers (not us nerds) confused apparently. Or so I'm being told. Referencing the season bring clarity apparently.

But I agree, if I buy something, I need to know the weight. Usually I just DM Rick on IG to find out the weight.

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Alright, I promised you guys a review of the boxer briefs so here goes.

First, some info about me. I wear 34 trousers usually. I have a slightly athletic build, nothing amazing but just enough to be annoying when trying to find a good fit. Unfortunately, I also have a prominent package which means it gets even more annoying, especially with underwear. I like my underwear to hug my skin a bit, so this means medium would be best in theory but with most brands it becomes too tight due to lack of volume. So I bought both a medium and a large pair to compare.

The Review (initial impressions, really)​

Material: The mix of cotton and modal is nice to the touch, almost silky. The amount of stretch is adequate. However, I'm concerned with durability. In my experience, modal pills and deforms easily. Only time will tell how this blend will perform, so I'll try to post an update after a couple of weeks/months.

There's also a gimmicky inner pouch lining in a bamboo blend material that's supposed to be anti-microbial and hypoallergenic. It's gimmicky because: 1) urine is sterile, 2) the rest of the fabric isn't hypoallergenic anyway. So my guess is that it's useful solely for drip problems. But if any of you guys find this useful because you drip too much, I suggest talking to your physician instead. In my experience these crotch linings are useless at best.

Fit: As expected, the medium was too tight. Even though the S&M boxer briefs have the same waist and hem opening dimensions as my trusty David Archys in medium (and a similar percentage of spandex at 5% vs 7%), the lack of crotch space kills the fit*. The large fit much better, but are also looser obviously. I can only hope that the waistband will not loosen up too much over time.

*Note that the David Archys are from a model that specifically advertises having extra crotch space.

Construction: Stitching seems fine and sturdy, although I would've liked to see the flatlock stitches on the inside seams be actually flat instead of slightly raised due to using a thicker stretchy thread.

A point of contention is the waistband's elastic that sits directly on your skin. This is annoying and at this price point I would expect the waistband to be covered with the main material.

Finally, not having a fly is a bummer but it's better not having a fly than having a useless/annoying fly so I'm okay with that.

Performance: At first wear, seems on par with other brands as far as riding up the legs and such. It's my first pair of underwear with a fifty-fifty blend of cotton and modal so I'm hesitant to assess breathability too soon, but it seems fine as well.

Since I just received them, I obviously didn't have time to wear them much more than just around the house. Final performance assessment will have to be made later.

Don't worry, I had socks on.
d2jpLLP.jpg

David Archys are the "Premium Cotton" model with 93% Supima Cotton and 7% Spandex. Waist, hem opening, rise are the same. David Archys are slightly longer by about an inch. Waistband is covered with fabric.
uwRTb5p.jpg

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First, some info about me. I wear 34 trousers usually. I have a slightly athletic build, nothing amazing but just enough to be annoying when trying to find a good fit. Unfortunately, I also have a prominent package which means it gets even more annoying, especially with underwear. I like my underwear to hug my skin a bit, so this means medium would be best in theory but with most brands it becomes too tight due to lack of volume. So I bought both a medium and a large pair to compare.

Material: The mix of cotton and modal is nice to the touch, almost silky. The amount of stretch is adequate. However, I'm concerned with durability. In my experience, modal pills and deforms easily. Only time will tell how this blend will perform, so I'll try to post an update after a couple of weeks/months.

There's also a gimmicky inner pouch lining in a bamboo blend material that's supposed to be anti-microbial and hypoallergenic. It's gimmicky because: 1) urine is sterile, 2) the rest of the fabric isn't hypoallergenic anyway. So my guess is that it's useful solely for drip problems. But if any of you guys find this useful because you drip too much, I suggest talking to your physician instead. In my experience these crotch linings are useless at best.

Fit: As expected, the medium was too tight. Even though the S&M boxer briefs have the same waist and hem opening dimensions as my trusty David Archys in medium (and a similar percentage of spandex at 5% vs 7%), the lack of crotch space kills the fit*. The large fit much better, but are also looser obviously. I can only hope that the waistband will not loosen up too much over time.

*Note that the David Archys are from a model that specifically advertises having extra crotch space.

Construction: Stitching seems fine and sturdy, although I would've liked to see the flatlock stitches on the inside seams be actually flat instead of slightly raised due to using a thicker stretchy thread.

A point of contention is the waistband's elastic that sits directly on your skin. This is annoying and at this price point I would expect the waistband to be covered with the main material.

Finally, not having a fly is a bummer but it's better not having a fly than having a useless/annoying fly so I'm okay with that.

Performance: At first wear, seems on par with other brands as far as riding up the legs and such. It's my first pair of underwear with a fifty-fifty blend of cotton and modal so I'm hesitant to assess breathability too soon, but it seems fine as well.

Since I just received them, I obviously didn't have time to wear them much more than just around the house. Final performance assessment will have to be made later.

d2jpLLP.jpg

David Archys are the "Premium Cotton" model with 93% Supima Cotton and 7% Spandex. Waist, hem opening, rise are the same. David Archys are slightly longer by about an inch. Waistband is covered with fabric.
uwRTb5p.jpg
Almost seems like the pouch is just not large enough when made…

Think I will also stick to my Micro Modal David Archy’s at this point

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It made regular customers (not us nerds) confused apparently. Or so I'm being told. Referencing the season bring clarity apparently.

But I agree, if I buy something, I need to know the weight. Usually I just DM Rick on IG to find out the weight.
That’s just so tedious, especially when my few requests to bring weight listings back went ignored lol. Oh well. Only thing you can do as a consumer is speak with your money, I suppose.
Though, considering releasing new drops with zero product information is another point of contention for me, it’s at least halfway likely whatever I’d have been partly tempted by will be sold out by the time I get around to considering the weight.

milktoast

Reaction score

d2jpLLP.jpg

uwRTb5p.jpg
You sir, are bold. Based on your willingness to purchase these AND share pictures, I can already tell you party hard (no pun intended).

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Strange that they didn't find a solution to cater for both regulars and nerds. This would be very simple to address under 3 (collapsible) distinct headings, normies can just read the basic description wheras nerds can study the detail under the 'fabric' heading, similar to how Propercloth do it, example below

SmartSelect_20231007-131316_Chrome.jpg

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Strange that they didn't find a solution to cater for both regulars and nerds. This would be very simple to address under 3 (collapsible) distinct headings, normies can just read the basic description wheras nerds can study the detail under the 'fabric' heading, similar to how Propercloth do it, example below

View attachment 2042225

fabric weight is very important to me. I used to not care years ago, but now I almost never buy all season fabrics and separated my closet into summer/winter. I find SM website needs improvement especially in usefulness of filters

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2042225
Yep, agreed. That was suggested. But the argument was the same: it confuses the regular customer who's only interested about seasonality. Rick even questioned the utility of knowing the weight. Needless to say, I'm not interested in any fabric unless I know the fabric for several reasons.

Correspondence between Rick and another member
IMG_20231007_143626_785.jpg

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When a manufacturer refuses to disclose simple specifications and other facts about their products, and blames that on supposedly confused customers, that usually means they are hiding something. As well as insulting their customers.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When a manufacturer refuses to disclose simple specifications and other facts about their products, and blames that on supposedly confused customers, that usually means they are hiding something. As well as insulting their customers.
FWIW, I don't believe they're hiding anything. I usually extract any info I need from Rick directly on IG. He has never refuted specific/detailed inquires.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trevor Butcher