• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is frustrating to say the least. Even cheap fast fashion rarely has the button issues SM seems to have. I have gotten in the habit of reinforcing the buttons I know are poorly attached as soon as I receive the product. Regarding a SM employee seeing your message or even making an appearance on here; I think we've all given up on that haha.

The inner button on one of my paper chinos went after exactly 2 wears and 1 gentle cycle wash. A couple of buttons on other chinos look like they might be ready to go. The rivet buttons on my canvas twill and 5 pocket cords have fared very well in contrast.

Luckily, my dry cleaner is very good at repairs and minor alterations. It's an added expense that shouldn't be unnecessary, but I know that button ain't going anywhere when I get it back.

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so tired of all the issues with Spier's button threading. It seems like every garment I buy from them (aside from tailoring) has had janky buttons. I've lost buttons on their chinos, field jackets, chore coats, overcoats... nearly every casual shirt I've gotten has had unraveling threads on the buttons. It's a persistent QA failure and I'm over it. If any employees still read this forum please address.

Had this issue for years now. Shirts and outerwear. I know my way around a needle and thread so I've been able to fix it but still. QC has ALWAYS been a problem with S&M. I'm at the point with S&M that it's a "you get what you pay for" type of gamble.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so tired of all the issues with Spier's button threading. It seems like every garment I buy from them (aside from tailoring) has had janky buttons. I've lost buttons on their chinos, field jackets, chore coats, overcoats... nearly every casual shirt I've gotten has had unraveling threads on the buttons. It's a persistent QA failure and I'm over it. If any employees still read this forum please address.
I thought they just bought one of those fancy machines that seals the buttons preventing this, maybe it will take place on the FW pieces?

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Unrelated to the current comments about buttons (which luckily for me I have never experienced), I was just contemplating this weekend what an incredible value S&M can present - especially during one of their sales.

Was focusing on the VBC flannel chalk stripe suits:

The cloth in that suit is from VBC's Lady Sanfelice Flannels bunch. Nice cloth 340gsm (about 12oz). Same exact cloth used by Proper Cloth, Cavour, and others in suits that sell for way, way more than S&M's price.

Further, this cloth is sold through Drapers Italy (related company) and the non-trade price is just under 150 Euros a meter. I take one of the larger S&M sizes in suits (and I'm lucky that I get a very nice fit off the peg in their suits)...so conservatively to make such a suit for me I would have to consider buying 3.5 meters of this cloth.

At the non-trade price from Drapers Italy, just the VBC flannel cloth in the above suit in my size would cost me $777 Canadian.

That suit is currently on sale at S&M for $478 Canadian.

(Yes - I realize that tailors pay less for the cloth, and a big operator like S&M would pay even less again...but still...it presents an incredible - and likely unbeatable - value.)

Last edited:

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Quick question for those that have experience with this.

Looking to buy a shirt that is sold out in my normal neck size. Thinking about sizing up in the neck but I noticed that the other dimensions (chest, waist, shoulder) are considerable larger, according to the size chart. Can anyone confirm this? The difference in size would be the same as going from an extra slim fit to a slim fit, which seems a bit extreme to me.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking to buy a shirt that is sold out in my normal neck size. Thinking about sizing up in the neck but I noticed that the other dimensions (chest, waist, shoulder) are considerable larger, according to the size chart. Can anyone confirm this? The difference in size would be the same as going from an extra slim fit to a slim fit, which seems a bit extreme to me.
Sounds right to me.

SteveMc

Reaction score

I can confirm this. Based on several shirts in ESF and SF, sizing up in ESF, sizing down in SF, normal neck size in SF.

Reaction score
Just chiming in to say that I really don't understand the shipping discrepancies with Spier. Sometimes they'll ship right away and other times, like my current order, it's an eternity. Order placed on Aug 1 and still hasn't shipped. Two weeks? That's unacceptable and I'm still waiting for a reply to an email I sent.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dark brown suede looks nice. I'm assuming that they have not updated the product code to reflect FW23? It says FW22

1692126976067.png

1692126930442.png

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads