• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blondie87

Reaction score
Are the custom suit timelines accurate? I'm thinking about ordering a custom suit but I don't want to have a long wait like I had for another custom order in the past.
Not a suit but the last MTO sport coat I ordered came about a day after the delivery window which I thought was pretty good

Blondie87

Reaction score
Anyone have anything in the Minis fabric below? Thinking of getting a sport coat for the fall if there’s a full canvas promo anytime soon. Just wanted to see how it looks in real life.
IMG_8227.jpeg

Themistocles

Reaction score
I recently ordered the full-canvas, navy hopsack neo-cut SS from the preview section (hence no full description). When I received it I noticed the cuffs appear to be functional, but no buttons included or button holes. Is this normal and do I need a tailor skilled enough to cut button holes? When I emailed CS about it, I just got an order notification for buttons, but no explanation. Also, it looks like the lapel creases as a three three button, rather than a 3 roll 2.
519C0674-5C10-42D0-90A7-6FEF50967EB5.jpeg
CD9A3F2E-0E9A-4458-99E6-1FD186EC1EDC.jpeg
EABE0D49-C56B-49AD-BE42-5D6D76C965A1.jpeg
2173139A-8AF8-4711-B5BC-F5CD58FF094B.jpeg

https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/navy-hopsack---neo-cut---full-canvas-4200042701-nesc-01-ss23

JTrent82

Reaction score
I recently ordered the full-canvas, navy hopsack neo-cut SS from the preview section (hence no full description). When I received it I noticed the cuffs appear to be functional, but no buttons included or button holes. Is this normal and do I need a tailor skilled enough to cut button holes? When I emailed CS about it, I just got an order notification for buttons, but no explanation. Also, it looks like the lapel creases as a three three button, rather than a 3 roll 2. View attachment 1987237 View attachment 1987239 View attachment 1987243 View attachment 1987245

https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/navy-hopsack---neo-cut---full-canvas-4200042701-nesc-01-ss23

Check your pockets- the buttons are usually in one of the breast pockets. Yes, some jacket models (usually labeled "Emerald") come with unfinished sleeves. Your tailor can hem these with either functional or non-functional buttons- the former will require more time and skill. I just received a jacket which at first glance seemed to have the lapel ending at the first button instead of the second but as soon as I put the jacket on the lapel sorted itself out.

Themistocles

Reaction score
Check your pockets- the buttons are usually in one of the breast pockets. Yes, some jacket models (usually labeled "Emerald") come with unfinished sleeves. Your tailor can hem these with either functional or non-functional buttons- the former will require more time and skill. I just received a jacket which at first glance seemed to have the lapel ending at the first button instead of the second but as soon as I put the jacket on the lapel sorted itself out.
It’s labeled “sartorial collection” on the inside - appreciate the answer. Had never noticed this as an option before and with no description wasn’t expecting it. If I have them put on as false buttons, do I need to sew the whole thing shut?

JTrent82

Reaction score
It’s labeled “sartorial collection” on the inside - appreciate the answer. Had never noticed this as an option before and with no description wasn’t expecting it. If I have them put on as false buttons, do I need to sew the whole thing shut?
I'm not sure what you mean. The only difference here for your tailor is that the buttons aren't pre-sewn. Normally, he'd have to cut the buttons off before he altered the sleeves. With the buttons unattached, it's just one less step.

CLH03

Reaction score
I recently ordered the full-canvas, navy hopsack neo-cut SS from the preview section (hence no full description). When I received it I noticed the cuffs appear to be functional, but no buttons included or button holes. Is this normal and do I need a tailor skilled enough to cut button holes? When I emailed CS about it, I just got an order notification for buttons, but no explanation. Also, it looks like the lapel creases as a three three button, rather than a 3 roll 2. View attachment 1987237 View attachment 1987239 View attachment 1987243 View attachment 1987245

As far as the lapel goes, a little steaming will go a long way. I’ve found you can dramatically change the roll/shape of a lapel with some well placed steam. A handheld steamer is ideal, but an iron used with some upright steam would do the trick as well.

redhotsili

Reaction score
I have the Marling & Evans Brown Windowpane sportcoat, which is also from the Emerlad Label line and come with unfinished sleeves. Unfortunatel, it didn’t come with the buttons either (most likely a mistake during packing), but the Spier team quickly shipped me the buttons after I reached out.

I don‘t have a tailor nearby that can do the functioning cuffs, so I just had the one closest to me do false cuffs - and they naturally sewed the cuff opening shut. If I decide to convert to functioning cuffs in the future, it should be easy enough to have them reopened.

Tim619

Reaction score
Are the full canvas jackets noticeably better in terms of drape, feel, etc.?
The full canvas jackets are noticeably less stiff in the lower jacket fronts where the fusible would be. It's something that is not easy to photograph or see in pictures, but is nonetheless noticeable to me. How far that moves the needle or whether it is worth the cost I would say is up to the individual.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quick reviews:

Pinpoint oxford with the Cooper collar is a hit. Wonderfully soft and silky feel. I will be buying more of these!

The swim shorts are nice, but too long - actual swim shorts and not board shorts would have been better. Also the pockets are increasingly stretchy - drop a phone into your pocket and it will descend down and protrude below the hem.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
I have the Marling & Evans Brown Windowpane sportcoat, which is also from the Emerlad Label line and come with unfinished sleeves. Unfortunatel, it didn’t come with the buttons either (most likely a mistake during packing), but the Spier team quickly shipped me the buttons after I reached out.

I don‘t have a tailor nearby that can do the functioning cuffs, so I just had the one closest to me do false cuffs - and they naturally sewed the cuff opening shut. If I decide to convert to functioning cuffs in the future, it should be easy enough to have them reopened.

I also had the same issue, none of the tailors nearby offered to do functional sleeves due to lack of machine and apparently doing it by hand isn’t ideal. I wish they have the option to do the sleeves before shipping similar to pants hemming, at the end of the day paying extra to have the sleeves shut is annoying. I live in a major city btw

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also had the same issue, none of the tailors nearby offered to do functional sleeves due to lack of machine and apparently doing it by hand isn’t ideal. I wish they have the option to do the sleeves before shipping similar to pants hemming, at the end of the day paying extra to have the sleeves shut is annoying. I live in a major city btw
Put it in the notes. That's what I always do. They'll send you an invoice for the work.

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
FYI strong possibility of an incoming UPS strike. Contract doesn't end until the end of July, so it could start around the first of August. You might want to get your deliveries in before then. Somebody might want to message customer service or Rikky to ask if they have a backup plan.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnnyjgoodson87@gmai