• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks DonRaphael, looks clear to me. I can't understand why I need to go through the trouble of sending the jacket back to them to be able to verify that.
The only reason I can think of is to confirm that the jacket you're taking a pic of is actually the jacket that should feature a full canvas construction according to the order that was put in place. Which is a stretch in a way, but I can't blame them for wanting to verify before taking action. As long as they refund the return shipping cost if/when they confirm that the construction is indeed wrong.

stubbsj20

Reaction score
What do you think of the fit of this jacket? Any alteration recommendations?
IMG_3554 copy.jpg
IMG_3555 copy.jpg
IMG_3556 copy.jpg
IMG_3559 copy.jpg
A couple follow-up questions. Should I lengthen the next jacket? Should I bring in the waist at all on this jacket?

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
A couple follow-up questions. Should I lengthen the next jacket? Should I bring in the waist at all on this jacket?
I think it looks good. On this particular jacket I think while the waist could be more suppressed for you body, it's in harmony with the fuller sleeves and cut of your trousers, so I'd leave it. In terms of length, a full length pic would help, but unless your legs are a lot longer than these pics show, I think length is good as well. If you prefer longer, just a touch, like 0.25".

jclonin7

Reaction score
Honestly, I mentioned it when I first got it and they said it must have been on the lower side of the tolerances. I could be overstating the inch, but it is more than the tolerance for sure. The fabric does work well though and I have been able to carefully stretch it at the bottom to get just a tad bit of length. Maybe I should measure them and let them know.

Got back in touch with SM about this custom jacket that measured short (about 3/4 in from spec). They gave me the following options:

1. Have their tailors lengthen the jacket as close to the spec as possible
2. Get store credit for 10% of the price of the jacket (they rounded up to $70)

What's the take here? They assured me they have the ability to lengthen jackets a tad but I know this isn't a normal alteration and you have to be careful on the fronts especially.

Attachments

• IMG-8390.jpg
    IMG-8390.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG-8396.jpg
    IMG-8396.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG-8397.jpg
    IMG-8397.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG-8398.jpg
    IMG-8398.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 176

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it looks good. On this particular jacket I think while the waist could be more suppressed for you body, it's in harmony with the fuller sleeves and cut of your trousers, so I'd leave it. In terms of length, a full length pic would help, but unless your legs are a lot longer than these pics show, I think length is good as well. If you prefer longer, just a touch, like 0.25".
I agree with this. In addition, I wonder whether you might benefit from a slight adjustment for sloping shoulders. You can see just a little bit of the jacket collapsing in the upper back. This is definitely getting into the weeds; I think the jacket overall looks great on you.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got back in touch with SM about this custom jacket that measured short (about 3/4 in from spec). They gave me the following options:

What's the take here? They assured me they have the ability to lengthen jackets a tad but I know this isn't a normal alteration and you have to be careful on the fronts especially.

3/4" short is not a small error. I think you'd be well within your rights to ask for a remake. I know that I would not be happy with a jacket that was this off. I would not be at all satisfied with $70.

You could give them a chance to alter the jacket but they need to agree that if you are not satisfied with the result then they will remake.

carterneeld

Reaction score
Just got the Harris Tweed sport coat in the mail and I think I’m in love. The weight is incredible it’s very soft and heavy enough for a great drape. I got the 38L when I usually wear a 40slim (though what I really want is a 40L slim but alas…).

Photos attached. What do you all think on the sizing? The arms a little tight but not too bad. I will also get them shortened.

Attachments

• 0115884C-9F54-42F4-A449-3BD40DA21C98.jpeg
    0115884C-9F54-42F4-A449-3BD40DA21C98.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 196
  • DAE07EA2-8AAE-41CC-B77A-4CF2587F8600.jpeg
    DAE07EA2-8AAE-41CC-B77A-4CF2587F8600.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 209
  • F5C8BF75-00A8-4324-B548-2BE1023691B1.jpeg
    F5C8BF75-00A8-4324-B548-2BE1023691B1.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 208

iloveplaid

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get ahold of SM?
I’ve tried emailing, calling, and leaving VM and nothing. I’m trying to return part of an order and can’t get any response from them.

hysteria

Reaction score
Just got the Harris Tweed sport coat in the mail and I think I’m in love. The weight is incredible it’s very soft and heavy enough for a great drape. I got the 38L when I usually wear a 40slim (though what I really want is a 40L slim but alas…).

Photos attached. What do you all think on the sizing? The arms a little tight but not too bad. I will also get them shortened.

Looks like length of jacket is a bit long. Short seems like it would be a better fit. Sleeves are a bit long.
I was looking at this coat - very tempted.

carterneeld

Reaction score
Looks like length of jacket is a bit long. Short seems like it would be a better fit. Sleeves are a bit long.
I was looking at this coat - very tempted.

Thanks, the length is a personal choice for me so it may seem long to others. The sleeves are long, yes. Planning on getting that fixed with a quick trip to the tailors.

Definitely recommend this jacket! The material doesn't seem very scratchy either, which I was afraid of. Now if only they would drop the B&W check from Abraham Moon....

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The real question is: are you happy with the length? 99% of the people around you will never notice this. But you will. If it bothers you, get it fixed. If it doesn't, you can get a free shirt with the credit.

dangaa

Reaction score
Has anyone bit the bullet on the moleskin bombers? Really liking the collar of these compared to the flights jackets and am curious on the sizing.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jpea17