• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rafsan

Reaction score
Any of you guys try the knit tees yet? How do you like them
I picked these up in a few colors, I think they’re great. Really adds a nice touch to more casual outfits, but don’t look out of place with a jacket. I estimate I will be using these a ton in the warmer months.
Sleeves are a bit long (come down to just above my elbow), but if the sleeves are filled out I think it gives a cool vintage touch.

omgitswes

Reaction score
I picked these up in a few colors, I think they’re great. Really adds a nice touch to more casual outfits, but don’t look out of place with a jacket. I estimate I will be using these a ton in the warmer months.
Sleeves are a bit long (come down to just above my elbow), but if the sleeves are filled out I think it gives a cool vintage touch.

I think I’ll try them out. I really liked the knit tees I have from a different brand. The pricing on these make it easier to grab different colors. Did you go with the same sizing as you would for S&M sweaters?

Rafsan

Reaction score
I think I’ll try them out. I really liked the knit tees I have from a different brand. The pricing on these make it easier to grab different colors. Did you go with the same sizing as you would for S&M sweaters?
I was also on the verge of buying from competitor, but better price point on these. I hope there is a merino version at some point.
I went with same size as long sleeve merino polos. SM sweaters don’t work for me due to body length.

dinted voice

Reaction score
These new linen over shirts are amazing. I got mine today and haven’t taken it off. I ordered small. I am more of a 38 contemporary or 40 slim. My only complaint was the cuff was tight but a simple move and it’s great. Love the front pockets. Nice heavier weight so it doesn’t wrinkle as badly. Wish it came in navy as I already have cigar overshirt from last year.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Do the waxed jackets from last year have slash pockets underneath the cargo pockets? It says "lower hand-warmer" pockets in the description but it's also described as a 4-pocket jacket so I'm confused.

Imperatores

Reaction score
These new linen over shirts are amazing. I got mine today and haven’t taken it off. I ordered small. I am more of a 38 contemporary or 40 slim. My only complaint was the cuff was tight but a simple move and it’s great. Love the front pockets. Nice heavier weight so it doesn’t wrinkle as badly. Wish it came in navy as I already have cigar overshirt from last year.

I'll echo all of this, including the issue with tight cuffs. Even with the button moved as far as the cuff will allow, I still wouldn't be able to close them if I ever wanted to layer it over any kind of sweater. Still, these are certainly the best overshirts they've done so far. A button upgrade would be nice, but I can't really complain at this price point. I'm also a 38 contemporary and took small, if anyone wants an additional sizing data point. I'm especially pleased that they've nailed the armhole (for me at least) this time around.

I would be surprised if there aren't any more colors and/or fabrics coming considering how many different overshirts were released for FW21. The lack of a navy makes it kind of obvious that more are coming, I'd say. Maybe not in the same linen fabric or 4 pocket style, though.

blewnote1

Reaction score
I'll echo all of this, including the issue with tight cuffs. Even with the button moved as far as the cuff will allow, I still wouldn't be able to close them if I ever wanted to layer it over any kind of sweater. Still, these are certainly the best overshirts they've done so far. A button upgrade would be nice, but I can't really complain at this price point. I'm also a 38 contemporary and took small, if anyone wants an additional sizing data point. I'm especially pleased that they've nailed the armhole (for me at least) this time around.

I would be surprised if there aren't any more colors and/or fabrics coming considering how many different overshirts were released for FW21. The lack of a navy makes it kind of obvious that more are coming, I'd say. Maybe not in the same linen fabric or 4 pocket style, though.

Agreed. I wore my cigar one to travel in today, am very much enjoying it. It has great range of motion, much better than a chore coat I bought from another company last year (which was tight across the shoulders). The cuffs are a little tight on mine but not horribly so. Plus it's a linen overshirt, I got it for layering over just a short or long sleeve shirt in the hot summer heat.

I did notice something odd though. Anyone that bought the taupe and another one, are the bottom pockets sewn on higher on the taupe? I didn't have time to measure much before I left but it looks like maybe an extra inch or inch and a half higher. You can see it in the product picture on the website, where it almost seems that the bottom pockets are smaller altogether on the taupe.

The taupe also seems to have more of a straight hem, vs a curved shirt hem on the cigar. Haven't decided if it's worth sending the taupe back over yet, and curious if maybe it's an anomaly on the one I got. I'll have to ask @spiermackay about it.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I did notice something odd though. Anyone that bought the taupe and another one, are the bottom pockets sewn on higher on the taupe? I didn't have time to measure much before I left but it looks like maybe an extra inch or inch and a half higher. You can see it in the product picture on the website, where it almost seems that the bottom pockets are smaller altogether on the taupe.

The taupe also seems to have more of a straight hem, vs a curved shirt hem on the cigar. Haven't decided if it's worth sending the taupe back over yet, and curious if maybe it's an anomaly on the one I got. I'll have to ask @spiermackay about it.

That's strange. I didn't get the taupe, but I see it on the product pictures now that you mention it. My olive green has a straight hem with small side vents.

How's the cigar color in real life, btw? Is it as yellow/orange as it appears in the product pictures, or a bit more muted?

Rafael Loh

Reaction score
How does the sizing fit? Is it close to the Long Sleeve Merino Sweaters or close to the cableknit sweater's sizing?

blewnote1

Reaction score
That's strange. I didn't get the taupe, but I see it on the product pictures now that you mention it. My olive green has a straight hem with small side vents.

How's the cigar color in real life, btw? Is it as yellow/orange as it appears in the product pictures, or a bit more muted?
The hem is interesting on mine, the hem itself looks straight, but the pocket is closer to it as it approaches the side which makes me think there's a slight curve to it, since the pockets don't appear to be slanted.

PXL_20220410_150112143~2.jpg

Colorwise, it comes across as a rich tan. In different light the more mustardy tones are present but it doesn't feel "loud" in person. I was originally thinking I might keep it and the taupe to have a more "neutral" color, but they really are both just shades of brown. Kinda wish I had copped one of the olives before they sold out in my size (before my order even arrived!).

Speaking of, is this how it has always been with Spier or is this still because of the pandemic? I ordered a couple sizes of overshirt and knit polos/regular polos to get the right size and the stock sold out before I even had a chance to receive my order and decide what worked. It seems ridiculous to have to order multiple colors and sizes of everything you might be interested in just to make sure you can keep what you want, but I guess if that's how it is that's how it is.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellerodrigue