• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TweedyProf I had this happen with some ghee that was left on my mothers stove...didnt realize it was liquified when I unscrewed the top and it spilled on my new pair of Aldens Snuff boots...first day out!....I used grease dish detergent first on the spot then next day cleaned that let dry then used baby powder a few times then washed with Saphir Omni'Nettoyant Suede Shampoo : Suede Cleaner.....I have no discoloration at all and I did not wash the entire boot. I can still slightly see where the spot is but no where near as bad and it seems to faded more and more as time goes by

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

What will the conditions be like? 

The Black Friday will be slightly different this year. We are not issuing a general code, but will offer good deals and steals on selected goods. There will be something for everyone I hope. Keep tuned!

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Black Friday will be slightly different this year. We are not issuing a general code, but will offer good deals and steals on selected goods. There will be something for everyone I hope. Keep tuned!

Hopefully what I had my eye on will be one of the steals, or at least one of the deals!
1f60e.png

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happier times before the oil, a GMTO I organized through Skoaktiebolaget, Carmina Rain, Polo Suede quarter brogues I hope Patrik and crew won't mind my asking here (Patrik, this is a way for me to query the staff but also the shoe experts here). Polo suede olive oil damage during spillage at a university reception. On the one hand, polo suede is dark enough to hide the splotches a bit. On the other hand, I notice them. Have tried: talcum powder/baking soda (which removed quite a bit after the first application), Lincoln EZ suede cleaner which didn't seem to do much. There remains what almost feels like a set of water stains. There's actually not much in the Shoe Care thread, but some older threads suggest the above remedies. I'm now inclined to try a gentle dish soap and running water, with dampening the entire shoe to keep color uniform. Anyone actually ever washed their quality suede this way? If anyone has other suggestions, please PM me or if you feel thoughts would be useful to others, then please weigh in. Otherwise, enjoy the glory that once was, in the shot above. Anyway
I had this happen to a pair of dark brown suede Carminas. Nice oily splotch from dropping a bite of food on them at a reception. My move? Took them to my cobbler, who got the spot out (no idea how) so completely I've forgotten which foot it was. Think it cost $20-25. My feeling on this is don't make a bad situation worse - let the pros handle it.

Elessar

Reaction score

I was almost ready to buy something. Will hold it off now.

Subbed for immediate notifications. I want a steal!
cheers.gif

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TweedyProf
Whatever you do, do not use any kind of dish detergent. There is no such thing as a gentle dish soap. It will completely strip the leather of any inherent (oily) natural moisture, which I wouldn't know how to reinstate.

blueboy1967

Reaction score
Gentlemen - your advice is needed. I have been deliberating over a pair of split toe derbys for too long and have a short list of two as shown below. I am finding it impossible to decide on the winner - your thoughts are much appreciated!!!

G&G Hove Hatch Grain:

Gaziano_Girling_Hove_Chestnut_Hatch_Grain_MH71_Last_1_kopia_1024x1024.jpg

Gaziano_Girling_Hove_Chestnut_Hatch_Grain_MH71_Last3_kopia_1024x1024.jpg

and St. C's Russian Calf

Saint-Crispins-575-RUS075-GE10-Riva-F-01_1024x1024.jpg

Saint-Crispins-575-RUS075-GE10-Riva-F-02_1024x1024.jpg

denbo

Reaction score
I prefer the G&G, because of the position of the upper welt on the forefoot. For my liking the welt on the St. Crispins is too backwards.

Elessar

Reaction score
@blueboy1967
Haha, I guess it is rather subjective.
  • I like the St. C's more for exactly the same reason that @denbo doesn't - the apron stitching on the GG pair feels too forward.
  • The St. C's also looks more balanced to me because of the 5 eyelet vs 4 on the GG - the GG forms sort of a diamond shape on the vamp.
  • The GG has a lot of straight lines while the St C's looks... better rounded, with the right amount of curves.
  • The St. C's is also dressier, mainly because of the stitching contrast (or the lack thereof), different style of stitching, and soles used..
  • I guess what it comes down to (for me) is that I like the St. C's last more than I do GG's.

That said, I would also base my decision on the sole - personally I would prefer the St. C's because overall it seems to come together rather nicely, and of the two the rubber soles would only fit on the GG (imo of course). St. C's is also made of Russian calf, and while I have no experience whatsoever with that, it does feel more interesting to me and can be a conversation starter (depending on whom you're talking to :) ).

So I say if you're looking for a dressier shoe, then St. C's, otherwise GG.

Last edited:

blueboy1967

Reaction score
Hi ECWY,

Please excuse my ignorance but which of the two has the finishing issues? I have seen some negative comments elsewhere on how the St. C's might look over time - is that the issue that you refer to? Thanks for your help.

Richard

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They both use Horween hatch right?

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi ECWY,

Please excuse my ignorance but which of the two has the finishing issues? I have seen some negative comments elsewhere on how the St. C's might look over time - is that the issue that you refer to? Thanks for your help.

Richard

Yes, StC Russian Calf is infamous for its finish. Additionally, this particular StC split toe is machine stitched whereas the GG one is hand stitched. Maybe it's just me, but I have a very hard time imagining a situation in which I pay upwards of $1k for a machine stitched split toe.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member