• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Tip is 20% on the bill not 15% or less regardless of quality of service. If service was bad, speak to the manager. If you had a nasty waiter, and you refuse tip or tip less percentage, you're probably punishing several other innocent individuals who are working off the same pot.

I disagree. Tip is 15-20%. I tip 20% but that is my choice. A tip of 15% is not being "cheap".

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I normally tip 15 for good service which I expect, 20 for excellent and 10 or less for crappy service.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Some of you are really cheap. I love the not tipping on alcohol or tax bullshit. Invented by cheap people to justify their cheap ways. Tip is 20% on the bill not 15% or less regardless of quality of service. If service was bad, speak to the manager. If you had a nasty waiter, and you refuse tip or tip less percentage, you're probably punishing several other innocent individuals who are working off the same pot. The way to recognize a rude waiter is to discreetly report his or her behavior so it can be handled by whoever is managing/training the staff. Of thousands of restaurant meals I've had maybe three or four where poor service could actually be attributed to a completely disinterested/pissed off/asshole server. This is on a $20 meal or a $200 meal. If you can't afford $240, you shouldn't have consumed $200 worth of food/alcohol. Like buying a car then complaining that you can't afford gas.
I feel that servers should earn tips. If the server treats my table very poorly and doesn't deserve a tip, then I don't. In most cases of poor service however, I'll tip 15% rather than 20%.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I feel that servers should earn tips. If the server treats my table very poorly and doesn't deserve a tip, then I don't. In most cases of poor service however, I'll tip 15% rather than 20%.

Bingo. The only rationalization of the tipping system at all is that it creates a large variable income as opposed to a purely fixed income (e.g. salaried workers). This is positive motivator for employees to act nicely towards patrons and to bring in continued business to the establishment. I think this makes sense as a compensation scheme. Similarly, non-service industry workers are often given discretionary performance bonuses by management to motivate better work via a variable income component.

Saying that a server deserves 15% regardless of service quality defeats the purpose of the variable compensation mechanism. It is like saying that financial services workers should get large bonuses regardless of performance. Sound familiar? That has caused an uproar politically, but it is a very parallel concept to tipping at restaurants.

The bottom line is that a server should be tipped in accordance to their performance. A baseline or average performance deserves 15-20%. Better or worse deserves more and less, respectively.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Exactly, I once wrote zero in the tip line for a bartender that made my girl and I wait for 10-15minutes on an empty tuesday night while he continued to dodge eye contact as we were right in front of him during that entire time. Why should he be rewarded?

They want their tip? They do their job pure and simple. I think the problem with this thread is that the ballers here are failing to recognize that not everyone goes to 3 michelin star restaurants for lunch where poor service is unfathomable hence their appall at anything less than 20.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you do when its not the servers fault?

For instance, I was at this cheap little mexican restaurant for tacos with a chick and the waiteress said there was a "mistake in the kitchen". Im pretty sure she just forgot to enter the order - regardless, we were there for like 30 minutes waiting. She DID give each of us a free bud light draft to make up for it.

I think we only tipped like 10% and darted out of there cause we felt like asses, so what then when they try to make the mistake up to you?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
what do you do when its not the servers fault?

For instance, I was at this cheap little mexican restaurant for tacos with a chick and the waiteress said there was a "mistake in the kitchen". Im pretty sure she just forgot to enter the order - regardless, we were there for like 30 minutes waiting. She DID give each of us a free bud light draft to make up for it.

I think we only tipped like 10% and darted out of there cause we felt like asses, so what then when they try to make the mistake up to you?

I've had restaurants comp my table or part of the meal due to errors. In such cases, especially when the server is not a fault, I then leave a tip based on what the total would have been, not based on the cost minus the amount comped.

Zabel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I'd say that it is generally expected that you tip X% regardless of check heft. Unless of course you are in Japan, where tipping is considered rude. Sigh, God bless Japan.

Try Singapore. Last time I went there, tipping was against the law. (Though it was early 90s).

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've had restaurants comp my table or part of the meal due to errors. In such cases, especially when the server is not a fault, I then leave a tip based on what the total would have been, not based on the cost minus the amount comped.

well yea, BUT if the service was just bad and nothing was comped, ok, the beers were given to us (not what were drinking, btw), whats up? just wanna get some affirmation...

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Exactly, I once wrote zero in the tip line for a bartender that made my girl and I wait for 10-15minutes on an empty tuesday night while he continued to dodge eye contact as we were right in front of him during that entire time. Why should he be rewarded?

They want their tip? They do their job pure and simple. I think the problem with this thread is that the ballers here are failing to recognize that not everyone goes to 3 michelin star restaurants for lunch where poor service is unfathomable hence their appall at anything less than 20.

Not all; I'm a poverty-stricken grad student who also works as a barista and I tip 20% standard. Based on the number of other service industry workers who have come in and dumped an absurd amount of money in my tip jar out of solidarity, I feel cheap if I do any less. I have left without tipping once or twice, though.

kevinbrownshakedown

Reaction score
I'll gladly retract my statement about not having to tip on alcohol at a restaurant. I never order wine or the like with dinner, so it's not something I practice. It's just what I had heard from waiter friends.

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Unless of course you are in Japan, where tipping is considered rude. Sigh, God bless Japan.

Or you could come to Australia. Tipping is practically unheard of.

mgoose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
Not all; I'm a poverty-stricken grad student who also works as a barista and I tip 20% standard. Based on the number of other service industry workers who have come in and dumped an absurd amount of money in my tip jar out of solidarity, I feel cheap if I do any less. I have left without tipping once or twice, though.

This.

I'm back in school and serving, on the rare occasions I do go out and tend to tip a high %, as fellow industry people are by far the best tippers when I serve them. Usually this is at a bar, and when I know the bartender is charging me 20 bucks for a round that would normally cost 40, I'll leave a 10 dollar tip. And because they know I'll do this they keep giving me a good deal, so it's a cycle that perpetuates itself.

The absolute worst is cutting people deals where you can and then them tipping 10% or less, but that happens very rarely as I usually only try and do that for people I know pretty well.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I'm seeing the opposite here - it's the ballers (or wannabes) who are okay shorting the barstaff or waitstaff. This is pretty much a universal phenomenon in the service industry: the worst table to get (leaving aside racial prejudices, of which there are many in the restaurant industry), the worst table to get is a bunch of middle-aged women who never had to work a day in their lives (or jumped straight into an Executive Editor position courtesy of daddy's friends). They'll run you ragged, split their checks 20 ways, pull out magnifying glasses to inspect their food - and cut your tip if you're not constantly standing at their right shoulder, water pitcher at the ready. The best tables to get are people of some means (poorforum folk can barely afford to eat out, much less tip), but who worked in a service capacity (in college, or whatever) - they're understanding, they're good tippers, they aren't ridiculously demanding.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScrawlcoQ