• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I doubt I'll go back to LIVE for more than a few months at a time (or at least not until Japan changes its laws so I can have a spousal visa there).

For a vacation/visit probably next spring if we can swing it. I don't really have a Japan-centered research project going now so it's not so easy to swing travel budgets through school. And with a Japanese significant other, going back and forth for two on our own dime can get a little pricey unless it's something important. I'm Prof Fab, not Baron von Fab. ;)

You should visit St. Louis some time just see what kind of society we've been able to build from the traditions of Budweiser and frozen custard and Provel.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should visit St. Louis some time just see what kind of society we've been able to build from the traditions of Budweiser and frozen custard and Provel.

Can we take the walking tour of the fine parfumeries of East St. Louis?

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bois du portugal today - 15 hours and still going strong...

i love the dry down on this...i don't really know the right words to describe it but it is spicy with a certain cleanness to it...i think its that combo of cedar and sandalwood with the vetiver...

know what i mean?

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to try amber absolute for some time...unfortunately due to it being discontinued have not yet...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey, I throw that one in as a comparison since ToH is also a lavender+vanilla combo but you'll see the difference. I find the Caron PuH is drier, 'soapier' in a sense, and more 'american' in it's styling, it's rustic. Now the Taste of Heaven I find is warmer, richer, more boozy, and refined and elegant. The Caron mows the lawn with sweaty forehead and greasy hands while his wife watches from the porch, and Taste of Heaven strolls through the gardens and plucks a flower for his lady. Different scents, both good.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I wore Chanel Cuir de Russie EdC today - wonderful, floral, skanky stuff from a bottle I most closely dated to the 1940s or '50s. It was boxed, foil-sealed, and rubber stoppered until my hands unleashed it. :happy: It's stronger, much stronger, than any of the concentrations found today.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bois du portugal today - 15 hours and still going strong...

i love the dry down on this...i don't really know the right words to describe it but it is spicy with a certain cleanness to it...i think its that combo of cedar and sandalwood with the vetiver...

know what i mean?

I think some of that clean vibe comes from the ambergris too. BdP is definitely a classic.

Pre-shower: Musk Oud. Would more accurately be called Musk Rose. Despite my love for rose, this is probably my least favorite in the Kilian Oud series.
SOTD: TF Extreme. This is a bold scent in the classic TF vein. Sharp, herbal and lemony at the top, dries down earthy and a little bit sweet.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Coincidentally, I wore Chanel Cuir de Russie EdC today - wonderful, floral, skanky stuff from a bottle I most closely dated to the 1940s or '50s. It was boxed, foil-sealed, and rubber stoppered until my hands unleashed it. :happy: It's stronger, much stronger, than any of the concentrations found today.

Did you get it at an estate sale?

Often estate sales have vintage perfumes. I got a bottle of vintage Knize Ten that way.

Cuir de Russie seems to be one of those mythic scents people talk about in hushed tones. I put Kolnisch Juchten in that same category along with Caron's Tabac Blond.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did you get it at an estate sale?

Often estate sales have vintage perfumes. I got a bottle of vintage Knize Ten that way.

Cuir de Russie seems to be one of those mythic scents people talk about in hushed tones. I put Kolnisch Juchten in that same category along with Caron's Tabac Blond.

I bought it a couple of years ago from a fellow on Basenotes whose relative had it for years. The original price is written on the box and the numbers are written a European style, i.e. the number one looked like a flaccid seven.

Kolnisch Juchten is special to me as well, and I remember you mentioning it, plus Bandit, several years ago. I agree with you because of their age and therefore their persistence through the decades that they are in a league by themselves. Who these days owns any true Russian leather anyway? The whole concept is quite anachronistic.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I bought it a couple of years ago from a fellow on Basenotes whose relative had it for years. The original price is written on the box and the numbers are written a European style, i.e. the number one looked like a flaccid seven.

Kolnisch Juchten is special to me as well, and I remember you mentioning it, plus Bandit, several years ago. I agree with you because of their age and therefore their persistence through the decades that they are in a league by themselves. Who these days owns any true Russian leather anyway? The whole concept is quite anachronistic.

I had some Russian Leather once; I think he was a sailor in the merchant marine. But that's a tale for another thread. :lol:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope he cleaned the neutral-color wax out of the crevices.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, that would be most likely. Then the spit shine.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nani94