• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

jellyroller

Reaction score
Yes, it worked out really well.

Originally, I requested hatch grain calfskin (like EG Dover), but C&J only has hatch grain in cordovan. Willow Grain is the closest C&J calfskin.

They came out exactly like I hoped and will be a workhorse pair of shoes.

Very nice. I have C&J Kew chukka boots in that leather and love them.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A public service announcement for bargain hunters - Paul Stuart's web site is showing a UK-sized boot that looks suspiciously like C & J's Islay, only in smooth brown leather rather than grained, for $389.02, in case one is in search of something like that.

URL below:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A public service announcement for bargain hunters - Paul Stuart's web site is showing a UK-sized boot that looks suspiciously like C & J's Islay, only in smooth brown leather rather than grained, for $389.02, in case one is in search of something like that.

URL below:

Good eye! That's certainly an Islay.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

URL below:

That's a nice pair of Islays, as usual no UK13, though :(

bemk

Reaction score
Black Scotch Grain Conistons w/Dainite studded soles in UK13 ordered.

While you are waiting ... 🌞

230729_20194_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg
230729_20192_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg
230729_20190_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Camerashy
Black Scotch Grain Conistons w/Dainite studded soles in UK13 ordered. Not a common size so it always excites me when my size is in stock and I don't have to wait months...like I am for the Islays GMTO in Brown Rough Out Suede. These Islays were supposed to be my 2nd pair of C&J but might well be the 3rd pair now.

Damn dude, you got big ass feet. 13UK?

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavens, five days to go. The horror! 🤡

They are so cool, I mean it's a Coniston, it's Scotch Grain and sometimes it just has got to be a black boot.

View attachment 1999345
For C&J I was always more interested in the Scotch grain leather. With Tan & Black covered by Conistons, I want to get an Islay in Dark Brown Scotch Grain. I am just waiting for my GMTO boots in Brown Rough Out Suede to be delivered and once I have satisfied myself that the 365 last works for me (which it most likely will based on Stows and 325 fit) I will go for the Islays in DBSG...then mission accomplished (until new mission is set 😀)

bemk

Reaction score
For C&J I was always more interested in the Scotch grain leather. With Tan & Black covered by Conistons, I want to get an Islay in Dark Brown Scotch Grain. I am just waiting for my GMTO boots in Brown Rough Out Suede to be delivered and once I have satisfied myself that the 365 last works for me (which it most likely will based on Stows and 325 fit) I will go for the Islays in DBSG...then mission accomplished (until new mission is set 😀)

I hear you! As I am currently rebuilding my stock due to sizing as reported, the Coniston and Pembroke came like heaven sent. Most of all it's the fit of the 325, but I wouldn't have bought 2 Pembrokes and 3 Conistons in no time, if it weren't for the Scotch Grain.

The 325 I can wear with thin and medium socks, my 4497S are better with medium and thicker socks. And I like the slimmer shape and that the character is more town than country. I love both styles and these C&Js are a perfect addition.

I'm still debating with myself if I should try the Islay one more time, I still cannot believe, that it gave me a slight uncomfortable feeling at the ball beneath my (bigger) right foot's pinky toe given the roomy toe box. It's such an awesome boot, it's so 'here I am, don'tcha mess with me!'

But I can tell you one thing for sure: Should I ever meet a guy wearing an Islay in UK 13 ... mate, that will be a day I will never forget. :cool: 👍

Meanwhile:

230729_20175_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-BSG.jpg

Chukka22

Reaction score
I have been bitten!

Good morning all. It all started last October when I bought a pair of Brecon boots. First pair of decent shoes and just love wearing them.

I have since added a pair of Molton (brown) and suede Harvard 2 (also dark brown). I was in London yesterday and so had to take a wander down Jermyn Street. Ended up walking out of the shop with a pair of tan Grasmere. Needed something to lighten up the collection. Honest.

I tried the Pembroke, but preferred the cleaner look of the Grasmere for my smart/casual needs.

I also tried the Coniston, so know what my next purchase will be; may be black RO to complete the colour set.

I have been following this thread for the last 8 months or so, and have found it very helpful. So, thought I would join and hopefully add to the discussion.

Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
Here is something a bit unusual I want to share:

230730_20231_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke-xSG.jpg

230730_20240_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke-xSG.jpg
230730_20235_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke-xSG.jpg

This is a Dark Brown Scotch Grain Pembroke, which is not so dark brown anymore. As I had reported and shown, I wasn't happy with the result of applying Saphir Dark Brown polish. The resulting color was neither fish nor flesh, to me it looked a more like a dark-red chestnut, but also a bit fake.

I didn't want to be patient and have them naturally faded, so I used curd soap two days ago to get the polish off.
The right shoe is what it looked like the day after. The left had the same treatment, was but was freshly nurtured with Saphir Renovateur:

230729_20205_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke-xSG_reno-raw.jpg

The 'renovateured' Pembroke next to my Tan Pembroke:

230729_20208_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke-xSG-raw-tan.jpg

And that Pembroke next to the Dark Brown Coniston, the original color the Pembroke had:

230729_20210_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke-xSG_reno-Coniston-dark.jpg

The comparison pictures above have a rather sunny, warm glow, here's a shot to give the idea a bit later under a cloudy sky:

230729_20223_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke-xSG_tan-reno-dark.jpg

So, right now it's pretty much a medium brown. The first 3 pictures I did today and they look even better than yesterday and I must say, I really like it. However, I am waiting for the delivery of Saphir Havana / Tobacco polish and will treat them to bring them back closer to the original hue (@Duke Santos ). I'll show pictures then. 👋

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bashar