• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Levi's 511 and 514

Big Muscle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by C.lo562
I have several pairs of 514's but I'm going to try out the 511's. I'll size up on the 511's so hopefully it won't be too tight. I like the 514's but hate the straight leg opening, I wish they were tapered instead. If I don't like how the 511's fit, I guess I'll just have to get my 514's tapered.
And what about 512s? They have tapered leg opening.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
511s only feel tight after wearing bigger cuts for years. Mine are now the roomiest jeans I own, and I bought them TTS, rigid indigo. They were pretty tight at the waist when new, and stiff as cardboard, but have stretched and softened out nicely with wear. I've got 15.75" calves (but skinny ankles), but even at the widest part there is room to move freely. Compared to Ande Whall Grifters, they're like MC Hammer loon pants.

So they only feel tight compared to pants that aren't as tight?

I wear a 30x30 and have a 20" calf. They may be roomy for you, but for those of us with muscle it's a little different.

ayjayvolta

Reaction score
i'm a 29 in APC's and they fit really well.....i'm of the same cut in terms of big thighs and big calves....my APC's have stretched to a 16.5 waist....

any experts out there able to tell me what pair of 511's i should get? I'm looking to get a red pair and don't want them too snug or too loose......i'm considering the 33's due to the slightly larger leg opening, and the fact that i'd wear them at the hips like my APC's due to the 10 inch "low" rise on the APC and 511's... but I'd like some opinions from you 511 experts...

thanks in advance!

nurktwin

Reaction score
So for the 514s, do you buy your true waist and inseam size off the shelf (unwashed dark denim)? In other words, do the 514s not shrink 3 inches in length like the 501s? Thanks!

handsometigers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by C.lo562
I have several pairs of 514's but I'm going to try out the 511's. I'll size up on the 511's so hopefully it won't be too tight. I like the 514's but hate the straight leg opening, I wish they were tapered instead. If I don't like how the 511's fit, I guess I'll just have to get my 514's tapered.

My experience with 511's is that the thighs and waist stretch a bunch (I'm a size 30). I wouldn't recommend sizing up. You'll end up with pants that have the desire to saaaagggggggggggg.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
I love 514s. The fit is nice without being too tight. My only problem is getting the length right. I've got pairs running from 30-33 inch inseams. No big deal though. I just go try them on.

I gotta say though, I hate the 514s with back pocket flaps. Something about them just doesn't fit right...the back pockets cause the front pockets to pull for some reason. Because of this you can see the seams where the denim is attached to the cotton liner. I hate it!

I also like the 511, but I always make sure to get ones with a little spandex in the mix. The 100% cotton ones just don't feel good to me.

I've tried tons of high-end selvedge denim and have to admit it...I like my 514s and 511s. And, for $20-25 I can wear them and not care at all if they only last a year or two.

I've been looking at getting some 527s. They are the same "sits low on the waist, slim fit" as the 514s but have a boot cut. Think they will probably look pretty bad ass with my Doc Martens when there's snow on the ground...

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
So for the 514s, do you buy your true waist and inseam size off the shelf (unwashed dark denim)? In other words, do the 514s not shrink 3 inches in length like the 501s? Thanks!

Never had a drop of trouble with waist sizing in the unwashed dark denim. Length is another story.

ushersorbet

Reaction score
This thread seemed like a good option not to start a new one since its still on topic... Today I went to try some 514s however something just didnt look right. This are 29w, the smallest they had. What do you think? Do they look ok, should I search for a 28w, would a 511 look better or are there any other models/brand you think might look better?

04fc448cc07b490b32a05a401b56ca57_zps2baed4e6.jpg

5c060b57b9279712e953088692ca373c_zpsb1e1e282.jpg

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't like the 514. It's just way too baggy for my tastes. Look for a 513 or 511 IMO. As for the 28 vs 29, vanity sizing is a bit random on Levi's so you'll have to test your luck.

P.S. Thanks for not starting a new thread

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
514 is your average straight leg jean. Nothing slim about it. 514 is for thick dudes.

You will look better in 511 and 513. Both styles are slim and identical.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bashar