• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pant's too tapered?

icsy7867

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here! I appreciate your help. I am pretty new to anything related to nice clothes to be honest. I am learning a lot but still have a long way to go. I am getting married in June and I wanted a Charcoal grey suit, so I picked up a full canvased, super 150 suit from suit supply.

My girlfriend swears the legs are too tight, especially when they get tapered as they get lower. I think they might be a little on the slim side but not to bad at all. I wanted to get some second opinions. But a couple of things first....

I am NOT wearing these shoes. I am thinking about either a really dark burgundy or a black shoe. This Charcoal grey suit is almost black. The pictures are not the best quality. I have also not dont any modification and the pants still need to be hemmed, so I adjusted them for the pictures a little.

Sorry for the quality. The room was not very bright, so the camera compensated and the pictures came out grainy.

I am curious to what you guys think. I am pretty tall, about 6'1'' and do usually prefer a bit more than the standard break in my pants so that when I sit I dont show a bunch of leg or sock. I really don't even know how much the pants are supposed to cover shoes.

Sorry I really dont know what I am talking about, but I am looking forward to your comments! Thanks!

paxonus

Reaction score
A proper break on pants shouldn't cause that much stacking. When they are that slim around the ankle, it pushes the break up too far and looks ill-fitting. Either get pants with a wider ankle, or get these hemmed up so they just hit the top of your shoes, or at most about 1/2 inch of break. You wan't something like this, but it is very hard, if not impossible, to do with such slim pants:

icsy7867

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I mentioned that the pants have not been hemmed yet. I simply rolled them so that they would lie a little better. I will definitely get them hemmed or altered, but I can still return them now, so I am waiting to do that until I decide.

I am a little unsure from your comments. Are you saying that the pants will be fine with a proper hem and break? Or that these pants are too narrow?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuitSupply's pants are very slim cut, it's the house style. Whether they're too slim or not is a matter of personal preference. I think they'll look fine once you have them hemmed to a quarter break or so. I'd get 1.75" cuffs.

Eucris

Reaction score
You should be more concerned whether the trousers are tight in the waist, crotch and seat areas. Otherwise, they look fine for a pair of RTW trousers.

Having a "break" or not balls down to your personal preference, stick to what you're comfortable with.
While you're at it you might want to consider having side adjusters rather than belt loops, as wearing a belt with a suit IMHO detracts from one sporting a refined look.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your choice if such abortions are a la mode.

Last edited:

IChen

Reaction score
Your pants look good I would say. But I'm not wearing them. Do they feel too tight? If they're comfortable, I think they look good.

paxonus

Reaction score
They look too tight at the bottom to be able to take the kind of length you want. Unless you hem them with no break they are not going to fall cleanly like the pants in the photo I attached. If having them pooled around your ankles doesn't bother you then I suppose they are fine.

Matt S

Reaction score
With trousers that narrow, they need to be hemmed fairly high. Wearing dress boots with such narrow hems is best to avoid showing sock. When such narrow trousers were last trendy in the 1960s, boots were very common. Same goes for the Edwardian era.

Really dark burgundy shoes could work, but since this is your wedding you should wear black shoes.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with the comments above that the narrow trouser opening requires a minimal or no break. They are fashionably slim. They may look dated in a few years but they are okay now, especially if you are young. I personally wouldn't cuff such slim trousers but YMMV.

The trousers look at bit tight in the top block. Notice how the pockets are flaring open a bit and not lying flat. You may also want them to let the trousers out in the hips and/or seat.

icsy7867

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I tried to take another photo and adjust the pants where they could potentially be hemmed.

They definitely would need to be loosened on the waist a little. But I appreciate your comments about the tightness. I may look around some more. It is just hard to find a S130+ full canvased suit for < $1000!

Matt S

Reaction score
They look better now, but I prefer boots with trousers that narrow. Balmoral boots would be nice with a suit.

Don't worry about high super numbers. They do not mean higher quality. There are lots of inexpensive suits made of super 150s wool, and the wool is some of the worst I've ever seen. At a lower price you're better with super 110s.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim trousers are fine, I used to wear trousers with 14.5' bottoms but the proportions here are a bit clunky in relation to the thighs, have the knee and bottom released by 1' total. As others have said they look a bit tight up top.

icsy7867

Reaction score
Slim trousers are fine, I used to wear trousers with 14.5' bottoms but the proportions here are a bit clunky in relation to the thighs, have the knee and bottom released by 1' total. As others have said they look a bit tight up top.

Thanks for the reply! When you say "up top" do you mean in the thighs? Or on the waist? I am hoping they can let out an inch or so from the waist if possible.

-Wesley

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member