• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering Suit Supply Custom but getting measured elsewhere

zoostation

Reaction score
I don't like the fashion forward slim cut look of suit supply, but like their fabrics and prices. I'd like to get measured by a traditional tailor as opposed to the suit supply salesman. Has anyone ever done this? Do you recommend any tailors in the NYC area who would be willing to do detailed measurements for a fee? I have called around but it's harder than I thought. What parts of the measurement are most important?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't work like this. Better to communicate what you want with suit supply. Make sure they understand what you want. Ask them if they can do it.
Measurements from a third party that doesn’t know SS patterns and how their patterns work won’t transform SS to the style you want. Your body measurements aren’t the issue.
They work off block patterns that have ease built into the pattern. Even sizing up may not get you the fit you want.
if SS doesn’t make the style you want, go to some else.

zoostation

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm a beginner in this world, so pardon my ignorance. When you say "patterns" you mean the jacket pattern, or the trousers? Honestly, I am happy with the way suit supply jackets fit but my concern is having the tapering of the trousers too extreme. Is that a pattern issue or a tailoring issue?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jackets and trousers are both cut from a pattern.
if you only want the trouser changed, take a trouser you like and ask them to measure the thigh, knee and bottom circumferences. Use those measurements for the trouser leg. No need for someone else to measure you if you just want the trouser silhouette to be fuller.
First ask SS if they will make a trouser with a fuller leg than their standard cut. Some makers won’t make changes and some will.

epsilon22

Reaction score
They can make adjustments to trouser width, try playing around with their online custom options to see what's available, and compare the measurements to some trousers you like. If the differences are small, it's probably quite safe.

I also noticed they're offering slightly fuller cuts compared to a few years ago, I bought a pair of cotton trousers, hem opening was around 8" for the 33" waist size, so still slim but not skin-tight like what they had before. I have a pair of Rota trousers that's more aggressively tapered than this new pair.

zoostation

Reaction score
Ok thank you!

One other question - is it possible to change the rise in the pants? I noticed suit supply has all mid rise pants. But I'd like high rise as I feel it looks better on me. Would it be possible to do this on their custom trousers?

epsilon22

Reaction score
Based on their online customization tool, yes to some extent. Not sure if going in person would let you tweak beyond what the online tool allows.

alfredt

Reaction score
Ok thank you!

One other question - is it possible to change the rise in the pants? I noticed suit supply has all mid rise pants. But I'd like high rise as I feel it looks better on me. Would it be possible to do this on their custom trousers?
Yes you can do this.

What I would advise you do is find a sales representative at Suitsupply in NYC who wears their tailoring closer to how you like it. The cuts on Suitsupply's website are generally still very slim and low-rise but I've noticed their representatives have started wearing much better looking fits and they use the custom made program to do this themselves.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremygrooks