• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If only we could get spared the initial post. Don’t criticize people for calling balls & strikes.
You aren't calling balls and strikes. You're flogging a dead horse. This may scratch some psychological itch for you, but it's tiresome and repetitive for everyone else reading the thread. Is there anyone here who hasn't made up their mind about Bernoulli's stylistic choices?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't calling balls and strikes. You're flogging a dead horse. This may scratch some psychological itch for you, but it's tiresome and repetitive for everyone else reading the thread. Is there anyone here who hasn't made up their mind about Bernoulli's stylistic choices?
I’m not. As I wrote above, I’ve given up & registered him as a troll. Didn’t say anything about the latest fits other than letting others know their sentiments are valid.

Just because new people note it doesn’t mean everyone is intentionally flogging the guy.

I think it’s quite tiresome and repetitive to keep posting disaster after disaster hoping to evoke the same response from different people. That’s literally the definition of a troll.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If we're still talking about that jacket, it is an unfortunate design. Yes, the tailor should have said so but in the end they meet the customers' demands. On top of that it was an unfortunate fit, looking almost too small. If we're not talking about that, I can safely say I've lost track of the bespoke conversation.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, all they are are patterned jackets that are fine and all. But you know how some people like some patterned jackets more than others? Gunglub is just a pattern some people really like. Me included -- at least, I am a huge fan of a small number of the choices, enough to want to get a jacket in one.

Why do people like chunky tweeds, which are just one kind of tweed out of many? Why do people like whipcord for trousers, which is just one weave of many? Why did we spend like 6 pages of this thread / the black tie thread debating specific ivory cloths? All they are is just one choice out of many, but enough people like them enough to dedicate a couple pages here or there to discussing them, right?

Got it, you put more thought into a pattern than I do haha. Nothing wrong with a gunclub patterned jacket, I always viewed it as a patterned jacket in some respects. Never thought too deeply about it.

On a side note, your comparison between gunclub and tweed or whipcord is odd. One isn’t a fabric one is a pattern. Can you imagine a thread discussing different variations of a navy suit fabric? Herringbone vs twill vs. nailhead vs birdseye. Or a better parallel, different variations of birdseye? Perhaps, I have no strong opinions about that or the pros / cons of gunclub relative to a prince of wales or a houndstooth as photographed above. And I tend to have strong opinions about things

The brown jacket fabric above is a gunclub; I didn’t even realize it was until this conversation & I placed the order 6 months ago!

ddohnggo

Reaction score
IMG_4707.jpeg

IMG_4706.jpeg

Work in progress raglan. It’s going to have a military fishtail in the back.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we're still talking about that jacket, it is an unfortunate design. Yes, the tailor should have said so but in the end they meet the customers' demands. On top of that it was an unfortunate fit, looking almost too small. If we're not talking about that, I can safely say I've lost track of the bespoke conversation.
Yes, they’re complaining that people commented on the fit. And they’re mad at me for agreeing.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Can you imagine a thread discussing different variations of a navy suit fabric? Herringbone vs twill vs. nailhead vs birdseye. Or a better parallel, different variations of birdseye?

I have not read all 790 pages of this thread but I will bet you a beer that if I dig through it, I'd find a thread discussing different variations of navy suiting, herringbone vs twill vs nailhead vs birdseye. I know there has been much discussion about fresco (4-ply, 6-ply), hopsack, and other lightweight breathable fabrics, the result of which has been navy suits, on this thread!

Gunclub is like eight hundred different patterns, and I sort-of like about half of them, but I really really like a large handful of them, so it's worth a discussion since I am about 90% planning to have a jacket made in gunclub!

If this or the cloth thread isn't the right place to get really particular about specific cloth, what is? :)

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not read all 790 pages of this thread but I will bet you a beer that if I dig through it, I'd find a thread discussing different variations of navy suiting, herringbone vs twill vs nailhead vs birdseye. I know there has been much discussion about fresco (4-ply, 6-ply), hopsack, and other lightweight breathable fabrics, the result of which has been navy suits, on this thread!

Gunclub is like eight hundred different patterns, and I sort-of like about half of them, but I really really like a large handful of them, so it's worth a discussion since I am about 90% planning to have a jacket made in gunclub!

If this or the cloth thread isn't the right place to get really particular about specific cloth, what is? :)
This one would've been nice if it got funded.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lack of self-awareness is a masterclass in buffoonery. Truly. I can't help but laugh, but I really do applaud the delusion. Cheers.
Ironic. Coming from someone who doesn’t even talk about bespoke & has no knowledge of fit or bespoke. Why are you even on this thread? Facts are a stubborn thing. You should see the private texts I get from several members on this thread. Talk about a lack of self awareness from a bumbling buffoon!

Maybe you can get lordsuperb to badmouth me right after begging me to bring tailors to DC!

I actually prefer the blue version.
Agreed. Totally preferred the blue.

Like I said, no issue with gunclub. But I don’t get excited as others about it. But I slowed my LL subscriptions, so subscribed to neither. But I liked the blue.

Comparing a type of fabric (hospack, fresco, tweed) to a pattern is different. Which is why I mentioned birdseye but expanded it to twills. But I get your point, maybe I’m not as in the weeds as you. I just view fabric & think “this looks nice” - I suppose I don’t always think “this is why this looks nice” I’ll have a look at some fabrics I earmarked for potential future orders. I’m sure some are gunclub.

I suppose I don’t get as excited by gunclubs as others. Especially gunclub tweeds. For me, tweeds are larger patterned & plaid.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironic. Coming from someone who doesn’t even talk about bespoke & has no knowledge of fit or bespoke. Why are you even on this thread? Facts are a stubborn thing. You should see the private texts I get from several members on this thread. Talk about a lack of self awareness from a bumbling buffoon!

Maybe you can get lordsuperb to badmouth me right after begging me to bring tailors to DC!

Agreed. Totally preferred the blue.

Like I said, no issue with gunclub. But I don’t get excited as others about it. But I slowed my LL subscriptions, so subscribed to neither. But I liked the blue.

Comparing a type of fabric (hospack, fresco, tweed) to a pattern is different. Which is why I mentioned birdseye but expanded it to twills. But I get your point, maybe I’m not as in the weeds as you. I just view fabric & think “this looks nice” - I suppose I don’t always think “this is why this looks nice” I’ll have a look at some fabrics I earmarked for potential future orders. I’m sure some are gunclub.

I suppose I don’t get as excited by gunclubs as others. Especially gunclub tweeds. For me, tweeds are larger patterned & plaid.
😂😂😂 by all means, pass along. I’d be tickled.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
😂😂😂 by all means, pass along. I’d be tickled.
Why are you even on this thread? You seem to still be angry I said men are men; women are women; & bespoke is bespoke! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcell