• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just talk about the linen suit (your James Bond vilain jacket is from another universe), which is fairly representative of the recurring stylistic errors in your suits: buttoning point way too high, odd positioning of your super curved patch pockets and super-high lapels that spill over the back. It breaks the balance of the jacket. The balance of the pants, on the other hand, looks good. A three-piece in linen seems like an odd idea to me, but that's artistic license, so okay.

No offense.
Thanks for commenting in the spirit I asked for. The buttoning stance is not high. I am just tall and pictures are usually taken from an unflattering angle. The lapels are indeed high, but for the same reason, I don't think they are super high. But if so, I will live with my choices.

Regarding the James Bond villain suit, it is a great compliment. Thank you. Now, I must bid you adieu as I move to blackmail some gentle soul for a million dollars, as to cover more suits (that is the current price of a Liverano, right?).

Marshak

Reaction score
Thanks for commenting in the spirit I asked for. The buttoning stance is not high. I am just tall and pictures are usually taken from an unflattering angle. The lapels are indeed high, but for the same reason, I don't think they are super high. But if so, I will live with my choices.

Regarding the James Bond villain suit, it is a great compliment. Thank you. Now, I must bid you adieu as I move to blackmail some gentle soul for a million dollars, as to cover more suits (that is the current price of a Liverano, right?).

+1 for phlegm and humor. I'm not familiar with Chinese tailors, but in my opinion you could find better, and probably for the same price.

marmite

Reaction score
I don't mind the snark but would prefer direct criticism, especially regarding the tailoring. Stylistic details? I will mostly ignore those, as it seems I already know who prefers more conservative details and those who are more adventurous.
I don't mind your stylistic choices, some of which I prefer to the conservative suits posted here. Your suits have an interesting art decoish flair and wouldn't be out of place in a Flash Gordon set (in Ming's court). However, there is a tendency for the jackets to be bottom heavy both because they are full of unusual visual details such as odd pocket shapes, placement and slant but perhaps also because of the cut that emphasizes the belly instead of the shoulder area. I mean, just look at the this jacket
norfolk0-jpg.2044363

Those large pockets sit right on your hips and both the vertical and horizontal straps of cloth look like barrel hoops and staves (I did have to google that) giving you the look of some undefined era Diogenes.

However, it could be that your stance is not helping the impression. Based on the internally rotated arms I would guess you have rounded shoulders that you pull back when posing for photos which can make the shoulders appear narrower and hips wider so try taking pictures without that Madame Tussauds vibe.

tldr I like some of your suits, probably because they're different.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind your stylistic choices, some of which I prefer to the conservative suits posted here. Your suits have an interesting art decoish flair and wouldn't be out of place in a Flash Gordon set (in Ming's court). However, there is a tendency for the jackets to be bottom heavy both because they are full of unusual visual details such as odd pocket shapes, placement and slant but perhaps also because of the cut that emphasizes the belly instead of the shoulder area. I mean, just look at the this jacket
norfolk0-jpg.2044363

Those large pockets sit right on your hips and both the vertical and horizontal straps of cloth look like barrel hoops and staves (I did have to google that) giving you the look of some undefined era Diogenes.

However, it could be that your stance is not helping the impression. Based on the internally rotated arms I would guess you have rounded shoulders that you pull back when posing for photos which can make the shoulders appear narrower and hips wider so try taking pictures without that Madame Tussauds vibe.

tldr I like some of your suits, probably because they're different.
Thanks for the feedback. I have no reason to add more suits to my wardrobe if not going for something unusual. I have all the basics covered. You make some interesting observations and I will take those under consideration.

I prefer sci-fi rather than spy thrillers, so I am happier with the mention of Ming the Merciless. I am more of a comics fan, though, so if somebody would like to comment that I look like I could hold court in Atlantis with Ocean Master, you would make my day.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for phlegm and humor. I'm not familiar with Chinese tailors, but in my opinion you could find better, and probably for the same price.
Why would I get rid of the tailor who executes our vision to my satisfaction? This is all on me. These are my choices. You don't like them? Fine. But it is not my tailor's fault.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still waitingo for you to go full silk Mao/Nehru jacket...a necessity for any Bond Villain!
I leave the Nehru jackets to upr_crust. I can never compete with that glorious peacock Nehru jacket of his...As for Mao, that would be too on the nose living in China.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a commission by a gentleman who wanted a Chinese detail for his wedding rig. He chose a "Chinese-inspired" button. Tailoring is more than "conservative business dress".

Also, I have my share of classically-inspired suits. Enough that I don't need to do one more. Hence, the "problematic" vision you see in my recent posts. You can see my more "boring suits" in other threads.
0000.jpg

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a commission by a gentleman who wanted a Chinese detail for his wedding rig. He chose a "Chinese-inspired" button. Tailoring is more than "conservative business dress".

Also, I have my share of classically-inspired suits. Enough that I don't need to do one more. Hence, the "problematic" vision you see in my recent posts. You can see my more "boring suits" in other threads. View attachment 2044951

The design of these lapels is simply astonishing!

Best,

Dimitris

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members