• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding Snoke.

Why do people all of a sudden give so much a damn about him? He was by far the weakest part of TFA. I had zero investment in him as a fan of Star Wars and am glad they used him as a plot device to move Kylo forward.

*not directed at our resident Snoke fence sitter Dopey.*

I don't think it was all of a sudden, a lot of people got curious about him in TFA because they made him look like this menacing, mysterious super powerful sith lord that seems real op and people always cared about power levels and whose stronger.

And I think that is also why people want more from him, they teased him in TFA and make him super powerful and then just kills him off.

The same with Phasma.

I know I am guilty of this with cbms but it does feel like your putting your blinders on this and do not see peoples actual reactions or their reasoning. And again, I get it, it's a fanboy thing.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think it was all of a sudden, a lot of people got curious about him in TFA because they made him look like this menacing, mysterious super powerful sith lord that seems real op and people always cared about power levels and whose stronger.

And I think that is also why people want more from him, they teased him in TFA and make him super powerful and then just kills him off.

The same with Phasma.

I know I am guilty of this with cbms but it does feel like your putting your blinders on this and do not see peoples actual reactions or their reasoning. And again, I get it, it's a fanboy thing.
I am on the side of wanting to know more about Snoke and thinking he might have been an interesting character without being upset with it not being told here. It certainly wasn't necessary. It is also true that he was much less imposing than the Emperor Palpatine as the head villain. Not because his powers were lower - who can say. But he didn't do anything particularly chilling. I remember feeling trapped and tricked and just a little bit scared, just like Luke, at this line:
That is a scary adversary, one step ahead of the hero. Instead, we got "Surprise! I helped you make a long distance force call".
On another topic, I would love to see Captain Phasma killed in every movie. Sure it is derivative, but it would fun and not detract in any way from what is going on. And they can even do it on the side, like having her leading some troopers around the station in the background of a scene where Ren is talking and have a catwalk fall on her. It could be the Where's Waldo of the series.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snoke started awesome by putting Ben in his place. First by telling him to remove his helmet and then effortlessly beating him with a single blow when Ben even flinched against him.

That was a good start to me and piqued my interest.

And Phasma dying in every movie like Kenny sounds awesome.

and just for reference, I have seen this movie at least 5 times already so I don't hate this film :lol:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Phasma-Kenny thing can be a running gag in the inevitable cartoon series that explains Snoke's backstory.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Liked this far more than I expected to. Plenty of stuff to ***** at (Vegas, slomo chase, Wizard of Oz bad guy) but the quality of the filmmaking pulled me in and got me through.

They should have given this guy the next one.

lefty

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That, and Hamill didn’t live what Skywalker did. He can’t possibly know how a character he played 35-40 years ago would react to having his star pupil become a Sith apprentice.

it was not addressed by Abrams and he apparently didn't care as it was not needed for 1st movie.

I guess it must have changed in 2nd movie :D Hard to know what happened behind the scenes. But Mark Hamill was quite vocal about not agreeing about character development for Luke Skywalker.

Anyway havent seen this one yet- is it worth watching?

Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and Imdb are horrendous.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whether it fits with the character or not, I thought it was poorly handled. It was just too hasty. “You’ll never convince me.” “Oh, you’ve convinced me.”

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read reviews with spoilers and will stick to my initial idea of not watching it in cinema

I think I enjoyed this more than I would actual movie :rotflmao:

God this plot, even apart from far left identity politics- is so bad and pointless it makes Prequels look well written

well done selling the franchise Luca$, die of gaut you old **** :lol:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno, to me, the whole kerfuffle over representation in Star Wars would almost seem silly if it wasn’t so mean-spirited. This is a series where most minor characters aren’t even human. People who’ve never batted an eye at Ewoks (brown), Greedo (green), or Admiral Akbar (orange) are suddenly losing their **** over an Asian woman.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the creators of the movie were quite vocal about doing it on purpose, so it's not surprising they get much deserved flak when movie does not work

I did not mind it in Rogue One because it did not detract from the movie and overall movie was solid. So united colors of Benetton vs space Goering and his Wunderwaffe did not bother me- I enjoyed the movie. Here you make silly plot with bunch of bland characters and push politics on top of it. They are let off easy for whar they did to Luke Skywalker anyway. They should be raped with horse dick sized dildos for that alone.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The issue isn't diverse casting per se, it's that:

A) the makers of the movie seem to spend more time and energy making sure the actors' skin color and ******** are correct than they do that the story makes sense; and

B) the critics seem to give ****** movies a pass because of all the "diversity."

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue isn't diverse casting per se, it's that:

A) the makers of the movie seem to spend more time and energy making sure the actors' skin color and ******** are correct than they do that the story makes sense; and

B) the critics seem to give ****** movies a pass because of all the "diversity."

Give it a ******* rest.

It isn't the decline of civilization; it's change. The film is reflecting (and indeed reflecting on) the society in which its been made. This society is changing. This is good. Women can vote and work and do what the hell the like. Black people aren't slaves, they aren't forced to the back of the bus, they can be lawyers and whatever the hell they like. Asian people are no longer played by Marlon Brando or Mickey Rooney with scotch tape on their eyes.

Star Wars films have never been high art, they've never really made much sense in any rational way. They've never been 'great' films. They are popular fantasy films. But the public that the popular is appealing to is different now. It is more diverse whether you like it or not. And people of all kinds want to see themselves in their popular films. I'm pleased my son can see people who look like him in Star Wars, and not just people who look like his white friends.

The fact is that you are so obsessed with how terrible this all is, you can't even allow yourself to just have a good time. And you seem to be determined to inflict your whining wankery on the rest of us ad nauseam, despite equally endlessly promising that you'll shut up.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clothingg