• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Ladder. If you don't mind me asking, what are your chest and waist measurements? MTM is not a bad idea if it's a good operation, but I'm sure there is RTW out there someone that fits you.

omgitzjun

Reaction score

Hey guys, my high school prom is coming up soon and I still need an outfit for the night. I recently came across this picture of another guys outfit and I fell in love with the style, especially the polka dot shirt. Now that I'm trying to replicate this look, my problem now is that I've been searching for long time and can't seem to find the exact or similar shirt. The shirt in this picture was from Zara's 2014 collection so buying the exact shirt isn't possible, so now I'm turning to the internet to assist me in finding a similar shirt to pull off this look. Any response is appreciated, THANK YOU!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys, my high school prom is coming up soon and I still need an outfit for the night. I recently came across this picture of another guys outfit and I fell in love with the style, especially the polka dot shirt. Now that I'm trying to replicate this look, my problem now is that I've been searching for long time and can't seem to find the exact or similar shirt. The shirt in this picture was from Zara's 2014 collection so buying the exact shirt isn't possible, so now I'm turning to the internet to assist me in finding a similar shirt to pull off this look. Any response is appreciated, THANK YOU!

Welcome to the forum, omgitzgun. What is your budget? I can look around, but don't want to suggest something that is out of your price range.

omgitzjun

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, omgitzgun. What is your budget? I can look around, but don't want to suggest something that is out of your price range.
Thanks for the welcome, I'm not too concerned with a price tag at the moment so I'll consider anything that is given to me.

pstar

Reaction score
So, after eyeing up a pair of Allen Edmonds for a while, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Strands. I started in an AE store, purchased a pair of 12D and then my fit journey began. I've always worn a 12D, FWIW, but I know the 5-last can be tricky.

I tried on the 12D the following morning and it felt way too narrow. So, I experimented with the following:

11.5E
11.5EE
12D
12E
12EE
12.5D
12.5E
13D

Out of all of those the 12E seem to fit my best except for a couple issues. 1) my left foot is a touch longer (still a 12D on Brannock), and in the 12E Strand I can feel my second and third toes from the outside rubbing against the inside of the shoe as I walk. Just a bit, never painful or sore, but it's a bit cramped. 2) By the end of the day, my feet feel a bit stuffed in the 12Es. Again, I haven't blistered or anything, they just feel stuffed. I've worn them twice by the way.

I'm sort of at a loss. I was deadset on wearing the Strands for my wedding. I know I can't make my foot fit into them, but I'm wondering about a different size. The 12E's have about 3/4" at the top of the V gap, but look pretty good. The next best fit for me, I believe, was the 12.5Es. My feet had plenty of room width wise, the left toes didn't butt up, but they felt a tad sloppy in the toe box. On the 12.5Es, the V gap was non-existent...for better or for worse.

Basically, just looking for some advice. Also, if the Strand is just a fail, can someone recommend a similar shoe in the walnut tones? I don't care about price at this point, but the $3-400 price range is appealing. Just a bit bummed!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ladders

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Ladder. If you don't mind me asking, what are your chest and waist measurements? MTM is not a bad idea if it's a good operation, but I'm sure there is RTW out there someone that fits you.

Thanks for the welcome.

Believe me I've looked everywhere, online and in person. It seems they stop making decent RTW suits just before my size. The only suits I can find in my size are wool/poly two pieces with unflattering side vents or cheap poly/viscose numbers which double as Van de Graaff generators.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the welcome.

Believe me I've looked everywhere, online and in person. It seems they stop making decent RTW suits just before my size. The only suits I can find in my size are wool/poly two pieces with unflattering side vents or cheap poly/viscose numbers which double as Van de Graaff generators.

Fair enough. A navy peak lapel three piece is great if that's what you want. Be careful with, MTM...there are a lot of terrible operations out there. Ask them where the suit will be made, 1/2 or full canvas, if they are modifying an existing pattern or creating a personal one, etc. Hopefully you have at least seen pictures of their work. Good luck.

Erdinger

Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking to replace the hodgepodge of cheap thin plastic hangers for all my bespoke shirts and am hoping to get good recommendations from you. I'm looking for plastic hangers ... sounds terrible but it's a must. I hang dry all my shirts and don't need the wood stain to ruin my shirts. I really like the style with the wide shoulders you seen in higher end stores. I've ruled out Hanger Project as they don't have plastic hangers and Beverly as their hangers are too big (they only come in 19" !).

I did come across this place in the UK (they sell on Amazon and Ebay too for a slight markup) Hangerworld. The price isn't bad but I just can't fathom the only decent option being in the UK.

Cheers

Last edited:

Air22

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to a ball tomorrow and am wearing a suit. The sleeves of my jacket are a tad too long, they look fine when my arms are down, but when I lift my arm up, they droop just a bit too much for me, maybe they're fine, it's just my opinion. If I wear the full cuff of my French dress shirt without folding, then the cuffs show a bit and the jacket sleeves don't look too long. I was just wondering if it would look obvious that I haven't done the cuff properly? It didn't look that much different to a normal folded cuff, but I'm unsure. Otherwise if I do fold the cuffs, the jacket sleeves will droop again. I've been fretting over it a lot, too late for a tailor. Whatever I do, nobody will probably even notice, but I'd still like any advice, thanks

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ywrtygey