• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

IronRinn

Reaction score
I got a 38R 1952 pea coat from VintageTrends and I'm unsure about the fit and amount of wear on it. I don't know if it's just worn from regular wear or if there is some kind of moth damage. The shoulder is a little bit wide. Also, the sleeves feel a bit too billowy, but is that acceptable on pea coats? I took a picture of how much empty space there was in the sleeves. When worn with a scarf and sweater I still have room to spare, should I consider sizing down to a 36? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

VT Given Pit to Pit measurement: 21"
Ht: 5' 11" (1.80 m) Wt: 165 lbs (74.8 kg) Chest: ~39 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacoat

Looks to me as thought the sleeves have been shortened. The p2p as given by VT--21"-- would make this coat a size 40. Is that the true measurement of the p2p? I would think a size 36 would give you a good close fit. A size 38, with a p2p of 20+", which is standard for that size, would give a good fit as well.

I would never trust the p2p measurement given by VT as they really don't know how to measure it. Send my measuring instructions and hope for the best. What they have done in the past is to take the stated tag size, divide it by two, and say that is the p2p measurement. Most unhelpful.

I'm just going to jump in here and reiterate my previous advice in regards to VT: Don't go by their measurements. Only buy a peacoat based on the labeled size. If it doesn't have a label, do not buy it. You can try to send Peacoat's measuring guide, but having done that, I'm fairly certain they just ignore it.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score

I'm just going to jump in here and reiterate my previous advice in regards to VT: Don't go by their measurements. Only buy a peacoat based on the labeled size. If it doesn't have a label, do not buy it. You can try to send Peacoat's measuring guide, but having done that, I'm fairly certain they just ignore it.

Based on other reports I have received about Vintage Trends, you may be exactly right.

bigsink

Reaction score

J.Crew Dock Peacoat with Thinsulate. It's a size medium with a 44.5 chest (where my chest is 41.5).

I have abou

t 2 fingers of room at the armpits, with snugish shoulders, making it the most constricting coat ive ever purchased. In this photo I have a oversized-thick sweater on. What do you think of the fit?

Should I try another brand? Sizing up would be 3" larger and probably too big.

J.Crew offers a "tall" version. Which has 1.2" Longer Arms & 1.5" longer length. Thoughts?

Album: http://imgur.com/a/yVODH

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score

J.Crew Dock Peacoat with Thinsulate. It's a size medium with a 44.5 chest (where my chest is 41.5).

I have abou

t 2 fingers of room at the armpits, with snugish shoulders, making it the most constricting coat ive ever purchased. In this photo I have a oversized-thick sweater on. What do you think of the fit?

Should I try another brand? Sizing up would be 3" larger and probably too big.

J.Crew offers a "tall" version. Which has 1.2" Longer Arms & 1.5" longer length. Thoughts?

Album: http://imgur.com/a/yVODH

The length looks OK in the body, but the sleeves are shorter than I like. If you feel too constricted, don't wear a thick sweater.

bigsink

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Coat. I may have to go with the "Tall "version, but not sure how I would feel about the added 1.5" length. Perhaps that can be tailored easily...

Peacoat

Reaction score

Thanks Mr Coat. I may have to go with the "Tall "version, but not sure how I would feel about the added 1.5" length. Perhaps that can be tailored easily...

If you want to add some length to the sleeves, there is usually extra material inside the cuff that can be let down for a longer sleeve. Take a look at it and see if there is extra material there. If so, take it to a tailor, or seamstress, and see what the professional opinion is. A seamstress is usually more reasonable in pricing for a job like this.

OlafG

Reaction score
Use the "FRIENDS" coupon through October the 20th. They are backordered, but you can still buy one.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm once again reminded of the beautiful TOJ Admiral peacoat that I can't buy anymore. Wayy nicer than the Billy Reid and also cheaper + MTM. :foo:

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Added an extra warmth quilted lining option for peacoats: Cotton flannel with a layer of wool flannel sandwiched between the shell and the lining.

Weight maths: 16 Oz Shell, 6 Oz Lining, 12 Oz Middle layer: Total 34 Oz.

Still cold? We can make it 56 too!

Luxire Peacoat

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members