• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

phond

Reaction score
Yah gotta eat more food, drink more beer, yah know beef up, to fill in those coats buddy
smile.gif

Well, I already tried to follow a strict diet of junk food and alcohol, the only thing which has beefed up is my belly though. My shoulder width is unfortunately not affected.

albeindc

Reaction score
So I'm looking at two possible coats to try and bid on, would be great to get some advice/opinions from the gurus on how they may fit in real life:

#1 Description
  • Issued in 1981 based on the contract number
  • Tag size is 36S. See measurement for proper fit
  • Armpit to armpit - 19 1/2 inches
  • Shoulder to shoulder - 17 1/2 inches
  • Shoulder to Cuff - 24 inches plus 2 inches can be let out on the sleeve
  • Neck seam to bottom hem from the back - 29 3/4 inches

#2 Description
Issued 1979
Tagged a size 36s

18.25" - shoulders
21" - underarm to underarm
24" - sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff)
31.5" - sleeves (center nape of neck to cuff)

29" - length (shoulder to hem)

My measurements are:
Athletic build
Height: 5'4
Weight: 138lbs
Chest - 38 (I can float between 36 and 38 in suit sizing)
P2P - ~18-19 (self-measured, need to get a sure measurement sometime, I know)
Shoulders - 17.5ish

I am more inclined to be biased towards #2 because of the better condition as per the pictures from the sellers, but I'm not sure if the shoulders and p2p would be too much - even if I was layering a bit underneath. I would most certainly have to get the sleeves corrected and the body of the coat also shorted most likely.

Thoughts? Or should I really be trying to find a 34S?

::Ninja Edit::
Just saw the measurements of a that Gap Cropped coat in XS from http://www.styleforum.net/t/144305/...-all-peacoat-questions-here/4560#post_5929141 , runnersnjeans is close to my size, with me being a bit fuller in the chest. I believe I've tried on Gap XS in general, and they are pretty snug, so maybe the above two should fit fine? Not sure if I totally trust the measurements of #2, don't know how the variation would be so great between 1979 and 1981 from the same manufacturer, even with the wool-material change.

Last edited:

IronRinn

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone cares, but a quick update: VT has, at least, been willing to measure their coats for me, which I appreciate. So far every 38 I've inquired about, 4 in total, has had a p2p of 21", according to them. I'm going to ask them to measure a 36. Odds they come back to me with a p2p of 20"?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
POP that DAMNED collar, people! Look at any movie icon who's worn one, from Robert Redford to Daniel Craig. Collar: popped.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is my first piece of outerwear and I'm unsure of exactly how it should fit. I really like the way it fits me now, but I'm always open to a second opinion. It comes to the end of my natural shoulder and the sleeve length seems appropriate as well. The only thing I would be concerned with is having it taken in a little at the sides. I think that just might be because I'm comparing it to the fit of a blazer. This fits slightly looser than a blazer does at the sides. In fact, I can wear a thinner blazer (more like a suit vs. a tweed jacket) under the pea coat and it fits rather snug without pulling. For reference, I'm not wearing a sweater in this picture, though I've tried it on with a thick sweater and it fit similarly. Overall, I'm happy with the way it fits and I don't think I need to take it in, but I'm venturing into new territory and any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks.
Looks and sound fine to me. I'd keep it like this.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hey, look at my last fit pics...

Exceptional! Gentlemen, this is the way it is done! Everything else is perfect, too, including the length of the coat and the fit in the shoulders. Spot on.

I do myself, however, wear the sleeves just a bit shorter. ;) Not that there's anything wrong with yours.

Peacoat

Reaction score

So I'm looking at two possible coats to try and bid on, would be great to get some advice/opinions from the gurus on how they may fit in real life:

My measurements are:
Athletic build
Height: 5'4
Weight: 138lbs
Chest - 38 (I can float between 36 and 38 in suit sizing)
P2P - ~18-19 (self-measured, need to get a sure measurement sometime, I know)
Shoulders - 17.5ish

Not sure if I totally trust the measurements of #2, don't know how the variation would be so great between 1979 and 1981 from the same manufacturer, even with the wool-material change.

#2 may not have been measured correctly. That coat, if the p2p is accurate, will fit like a small size 40. For wear without a sweater, you probably need a size 36 for a trim fit. A vintage 36 should have a p2p of about 19.5. If you find one in a p2p of 19" that will probably fit OK in the torso as well. That will be a size 34 in the vintage models.

The different material used in the vintage and current issue models should make no difference in the p2p. They should be about the same thickness.

Not sure if anyone cares, but a quick update: VT has, at least, been willing to measure their coats for me, which I appreciate. So far every 38 I've inquired about, 4 in total, has had a p2p of 21", according to them. I'm going to ask them to measure a 36. Odds they come back to me with a p2p of 20"?

They may not be measuring the p2p correctly. VT sorta wants to venture into untried waters and do things the way they want to do it. Not good when standard parameters have already been established. We all need to speak the same language. They seem to get hung up on the seams at the sides of the coat. Those seams should be disregarded.

Did you send them my instructions for p2p measuring? If they do it that way, even a monkey couldn't botch it.

Keep us up to date.

goonz

Reaction score
Got a compliment today on my coat by a guy on the street perfect weather for my pea coat with thick jumper under it . the snow is out in force in london and i was so glad to have my pea with me

ant702

Reaction score
Well, I already tried to follow a strict diet of junk food and alcohol, the only thing which has beefed up is my belly though. My shoulder width is unfortunately not affected.
LOL, you know I'm only kidding! Have you gone to J.Crew or GAP, these companys have started making more fitted clothes that may fit! Some are exspensive though!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exceptional! Gentlemen, this is the way it is done! Everything else is perfect, too, including the length of the coat and the fit in the shoulders. Spot on.

I do myself, however, wear the sleeves just a bit shorter. ;) Not that there's anything wrong with yours.

:)

I would have liked an extra centimeter, but this was all we could get out of the length.

miDVF.jpg

'We' (Mrs. NOBD did the work) had to use a piece of bias binding, because there wasn't much lining left in the sleeves:

On the outside

BOyEV.jpg

After pressing

AFkcW.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics