• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the input.

I will probably get one without center/box pleats. But plain back or shirring? Didn't find much info about shirring when searching for it online.

So for the next bunch of shirts, I will reduce the sleeve width slightly and get either a plain back or shirred back. Thinking of actually ordering a couple as the wait is probably the same anyhow.

Shirred back and shoulders on our vintage shirt

DSC_6907.jpeg

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Center pleats useless?
Yes and No.

Yoke height is key here. If the yoke extends lower on the back, the pleat would not add much to the flexibility of arm movements, which is what they are for. They are not for giving "breathing space" to your back.

So, if you want "functional" center pleats, decrease the yoke height. Otherwise, they function well as the placeholder for locker loops.

Ketawa

Reaction score
Daaamn, can't believe I missed out on this thread for so long. Well, I guess it's a fairly new company and I was trying out different MTM shirt makers about a year ago, then kind of stopped. The fabrics at Modern Tailor were mostly terrible, and I also had a bad experience with CottonWork.

I'm just looking for a place to build a wardrobe of casual untucked shirts to wear with denim like OCBDs, tattersall patterns, maybe some linen for summer, madras, etc. I'm typically around a 16.5 x 37.

Do the fabrics shrink much in the dryer? I typically tumble dry a new shirt twice to get all the shrinkage out of the way, then hang dry after that.

Xtra

Reaction score
Is the shirring feature generally more appropriate on OCBDs? More formal? Less formal? I've thought about getting it done too but I dont' know where it is or is not customary/acceptable to do so.

I'm uncertain. As far as I know OCBDs are traditionally made with box/center pleats. (well, the ones with origin in the US I think)

At least PRL and BB make their shirts with box pleats, unsure of other makers. I've just made my two OCBDs with a center pleat as that was what I was accustomed to.

Ketawa: From Luxires page on http://luxire.com/pages/quality-and-satisfaction:

Shrinkage: Your shirt is pre-washed and pre-shrunk. All fabrics at Luxire are washed and carefully ironed before carving it into your shirt. Some fabrics, like Oxford, shrink more than others. These are washed, dried and ironed 2-3 times before stitching. This reduces the probability of shrinkage. We adjust shirt sizing based on shrinkage so you are not required to adjust the size you provide.

nkhuong

Reaction score
Here's my newest shirt. Fabric is candy stripes oxford. It is a bit crisp and wrinkles slightly more than my previous blue oxford. But it is still nice to the touch.
Comment on the fit would be appreciated. I think the extra fabric on the back was fixed compared to the previous blue oxford shirt.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the second shirt a lot more on you than the first one.
The changes to the waist paid off.
Have you changed the sleeves as well? Those of the second shirt look slimmer in the upper arm. In your place I would still ask for more taper from the elbows to the cuffs though.
Other from that I would suggest wearing and washing it several times and to decide afterwards which smaller changes you still might want to make to it.

Ketawa

Reaction score
I'm uncertain. As far as I know OCBDs are traditionally made with box/center pleats. (well, the ones with origin in the US I think)

At least PRL and BB make their shirts with box pleats, unsure of other makers. I've just made my two OCBDs with a center pleat as that was what I was accustomed to.

Ketawa: From Luxires page on http://luxire.com/pages/quality-and-satisfaction:

Shrinkage: Your shirt is pre-washed and pre-shrunk. All fabrics at Luxire are washed and carefully ironed before carving it into your shirt. Some fabrics, like Oxford, shrink more than others. These are washed, dried and ironed 2-3 times before stitching. This reduces the probability of shrinkage. We adjust shirt sizing based on shrinkage so you are not required to adjust the size you provide.

Wow, that is fantastic. Thanks for the pointer.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire, would you be able to source selvaged denim from mills like Cone Mills?

I bought another pair of RAW denim recently and once again am not satisfied with the fit and some details of it.
I would love to order a pair from you because I trust in the craftsmanship of your tailors and enjoy to be able to specify all sorts of details, but am uncertain because of fabrics and hardware like buttons etc.

burghler

Reaction score
Luxire, would you be able to source selvaged denim from mills like Cone Mills?

I bought another pair of RAW denim recently and once again am not satisfied with the fit and some details of it.
I would love to order a pair from you because I trust in the craftsmanship of your tailors and enjoy to be able to specify all sorts of details, but am uncertain because of fabrics and hardware like buttons etc.
I'd be interested to hear the answer to this as well. Also, my Mercer & Sons-styled OCBD arrived yesterday. The collar roll looks great and the measurements I provided were exactly followed. I'll definitely need to make a few adjustments going forward and will post pics once I have a chance to launder.

Zarium

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the input.

I will probably get one without center/box pleats. But plain back or shirring? Didn't find much info about shirring when searching for it online.

So for the next bunch of shirts, I will reduce the sleeve width slightly and get either a plain back or shirred back. Thinking of actually ordering a couple as the wait is probably the same anyhow.
Plain back or center pleat. Although I absolutely hate a box pleat on normal dress shirts, I somewhat like it on an OCBD. It's useless to me functionally, but it's in keeping with tradition. Which a lot of aspects of clothing are.

No shirred sleeves/back, they're terribly hideous. A shirred sleeve when overdone (I've seen a really pronounced Neapolitan one, which is no surprise since they seem to enjoy exaggeration) looks like a woman's dress shirt and is a terrible look.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So has anyone got anything other than shirts and pants? Anyone got any outerwear yet?
Got this: 4 pocket shirt jacket; technically it's a shirt but it's a spring/summery kind. BTW would go for linen if you live somewhere really hot (kinda regret it) so for here in AUS it's used in autumn and probably spring when it gets here.

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this as well. Also, my Mercer & Sons-styled OCBD arrived yesterday. The collar roll looks great and the measurements I provided were exactly followed. I'll definitely need to make a few adjustments going forward and will post pics once I have a chance to launder.
Please do!

Xtra

Reaction score
Plain back or center pleat. Although I absolutely hate a box pleat on normal dress shirts, I somewhat like it on an OCBD. It's useless to me functionally, but it's in keeping with tradition. Which a lot of aspects of clothing are.

No shirred sleeves/back, they're terribly hideous. A shirred sleeve when overdone (I've seen a really pronounced Neapolitan one, which is no surprise since they seem to enjoy exaggeration) looks like a woman's dress shirt and is a terrible look.

OK, I'll consider going with a plain back for my next order then.

nkhuong

Reaction score
I like the second shirt a lot more on you than the first one.
The changes to the waist paid off.
Have you changed the sleeves as well? Those of the second shirt look slimmer in the upper arm. In your place I would still ask for more taper from the elbows to the cuffs though.
Other from that I would suggest wearing and washing it several times and to decide afterwards which smaller changes you still might want to make to it.

Thank you! I made the cuffs 0.5" bigger. I did mention in the note that I liked how the sleeves look on my previous shirt but it seems like the bigger cuffs still make the sleeves balloon out. Or maybe I should just stick with the smaller cuffs after all.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcelo929