• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cark

Reaction score
I think that we have evidence that @Cark is a moron. If you "bid up" the price on popular items early on, you are not having any real effect on the final price of the auction, because a bid considerably lower than the final bid, made early, is not going to motivate the final bidders, either way. If you do this at the end of the auction, then yes, you can have some effect, but then you are playing a dangerous game on a no reserve bid and when you are not in collusion with the seller, because you may easily end up with the winning bid, since it's hard to tell the exact point at which a bidder will concede.

If you try this **** on goods that are less desirable, then you will end up with the same issues as outlined above, but with an even greater chance of winning by mistake because the number of bidders will be lower, and their ceilings will also be lower.

why is this so hard to understand? i bid early and bid up the price, i bid high (bidding close to the final selling price but never higher than the historical average) and then hope a bid war will occur at anytime in the next week while the auction is still active. nothing is guaranteed, but it does work sometimes and it works enough times because i have tested it and did it multiple times in the past with luxeswap.

of course this doesn't work if i bid low early and walk away, but i never said i did that, come on LA guy you can do better than this.

as for people who put in their max bid and walk away, of course it doesn't affect them, they already decided their max price and that's final. i typically never bid higher than what they bid, but if i bid up the price on day 1 then that means there are still 9 more days of viewers waiting to bid more and chances are the final price will be higher than if i didn't shoot up the price of the auction by 80% on that very first day. it also means that chances are that person who bid once and walked away will lose the auction to a higher bidder later on.

i hope that everyone understands now, but for those who are still don't know, just do a gooble like i did and read how to do spoo poking.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Q8VFXIrfDJHq_Aay85mICQ&q="spoo+poking"

https://webcache.googleusercontent....ad.307841/page-1413+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

and just for kicks, i looked this up too: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spoo

Staxxx1

Reaction score
why is this so hard to understand? i bid early and bid up the price, i bid high (bidding close to the final selling price but never higher than the historical average) and then hope a bid war will occur at anytime in the next week while the auction is still active. nothing is guaranteed, but it does work sometimes and it works enough times because i have tested it and did it multiple times in the past with luxeswap.

of course this doesn't work if i bid low early and walk away, but i never said i did that, come on LA guy you can do better than this.

as for people who put in their max bid and walk away, of course it doesn't affect them, they already decided their max price and that's final. i typically never bid higher than what they bid, but if i bid up the price on day 1 then that means there are still 9 more days of viewers waiting to bid more and chances are the final price will be higher than if i didn't shoot up the price of the auction by 80% on that very first day. it also means that chances are that person who bid once and walked away will lose the auction to a higher bidder later on.

i hope that everyone understands now, but for those who are still don't know, just do a gooble like i did and read how to do spoo poking.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Q8VFXIrfDJHq_Aay85mICQ&q="spoo+poking"

https://webcache.googleusercontent....ad.307841/page-1413+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

and just for kicks, i looked this up too: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spoo

WHY?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't cuck just be banned now?

volcanotristate

Reaction score
A miscreant sowing seeds of duplicity to throw shade on Spoo’s auction process. The end game is distrust of the process. Perhaps they intend on steering people to another site.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The likelihood that someone, at some point, somewhere is going to attempt the strategies that Cark has supposedly attempted are pretty high given the size and extent of eBay. However, whether they out themselves publicly or not, I would guess that the proportion of people doing those things is exceedingly small. This person will eventually go away, be forgotten for the insignificant proportion of users that she is, and the trust in both eBay and Spoo will remain largely unchanged. Because, yeah, bidding up things is risky. Don't blow this out of proportion and continue bidding with confidence.

elsalvatrucha

Reaction score
The likelihood that someone, at some point, somewhere is going to attempt the strategies that Cark has supposedly attempted are pretty high given the size and extent of eBay. However, whether they out themselves publicly or not, I would guess that the proportion of people doing those things is exceedingly small. This person will eventually go away, be forgotten for the insignificant proportion of users that she is, and the trust in both eBay and Spoo will remain largely unchanged. Because, yeah, bidding up things is risky. Don't blow this out of proportion and continue bidding with confidence.

I agree with this but now I am just curious about his motivations. Is it to troll? To just be a moron (a troll could be funny but not this guy)? Business competition? Envy at Spoo's sucess?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
other people in the past have mentioned that they place early bids to "help" spoo on items that they have no intention of buying to increase the price. not sure if these people stopped when Matt asked them to. this sort of behavior is hard to stop.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last time I address this ridiculousness and Ill ask everyone to stop kindly after this point even if additional comments are made. Anyone is welcome to bid on items only if you have the intent to win, which 99.9% of you Im sure do. If you're bidding on an item without the intention to pay, you can go fly a kite. You are nothing special, you are not the first internet basement dweller to steal some of your parents beer from the fridge, pretend you grew a set, and come on and be a tough guy. So everyone STFU and ignore the trolls, enjoy the auctions and move on from this point forward. Kthxbai

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, Im very excited to announce next weeks auctions. As you all know, @gdl203 and I hosted a trunk show last month at No Man Walks Alone HQ and we took in enough fire pieces to craft an entire week out of. This week launching this Thursday represents that great day with many pieces that we collected there. And all of you guys who sent in items for the NMWA program, we collected them all and are launching them all this Thursday too! So its a full week of extreme fire. I mean FIRE.

Pics or GTFO? OK......

_MG_5565.jpg
_MG_5571.jpg
_MG_5314.jpg
_MG_5317.jpg
_MG_5467.jpg
_MG_5479.jpg
_MG_5714.jpg
_MG_5720.jpg
_MG_4418.jpg
_MG_4421.jpg
_MG_4540.jpg