• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview attire advice requested

TexasToast

Reaction score
I have an interview this week and I needed to get some advice. I plan on wearing my Blue single breasted suit Brown shoes and White French cuff shirt.Is it ever advisable to wear your shirt with the collar open, I have been told that dress at the company is business casual. Should I just wear a tie and play it safe.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best to ask either your recruiter or company HR. If you can’t get any info, I’d wear a tie. But I would definitely not wear a French cuff shirt without a tie. If you go tieless I’d wear a more casual shirt too (blue OCBD seems right in my head).

TexasToast

Reaction score
Best to ask either your recruiter or company HR. If you can’t get any info, I’d wear a tie. But I would definitely not wear a French cuff shirt without a tie. If you go tieless I’d wear a more casual shirt too (blue OCBD seems right in my head).
Thanks for the advice.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rjc149

Reaction score
For a job interview, I would skip the French cuffs altogether, with or without the tie. They are conspicuous. After the ‘08/‘09 crash, French cuffs were frowned upon on Wall Street as they were seen as too ostentatious in an industry that was trying to tone down its image. Barrel/button cuffs are safer. I personally now only wear French cuffs to special occasions.

I would also opt for black shoes, but that may not be needed for the business-casual dress environment where brown shoes are preferred.

TexasToast

Reaction score
For a job interview, I would skip the French cuffs altogether, with or without the tie. They are conspicuous. After the ‘08/‘09 crash, French cuffs were frowned upon on Wall Street as they were seen as too ostentatious in an industry that was trying to tone down its image. Barrel/button cuffs are safer. I personally now only wear French cuffs to special occasions.

I would also opt for black shoes, but that may not be needed for the business-casual dress environment where brown shoes are preferred.
Ok i'll ditch the French cuffs for the interview and wear them only for special occasions. Hmmmmmmm I'll think about the Black shoes as an option to wear with the blue suit I'm thinking about wearing. Thank for letting me know about french cuffs I didn't know that they had gone out of favor in the business environment.

rjc149

Reaction score
Ok i'll ditch the French cuffs for the interview and wear them only for special occasions. Hmmmmmmm I'll think about the Black shoes as an option to wear with the blue suit I'm thinking about wearing. Thank for letting me know about french cuffs I didn't know that they had gone out of favor in the business environment.
You can certainly wear French cuffs to work, once you've gotten the job and you've determined they're appropriate for the environment. But yes, they have fallen out of favor for business attire in financial services industries. They are more common in law and government. I don't wear them to work mainly because barrel cuffs are more practical for desk work, but yes, also because I prefer limiting accessories with business attire to a wristwatch.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I know you didn't ask....but this is also standard....

Get there early. Rather sit in your parked car relaxing and going through some scenarios/questions or standing outside vs rushing to the appt and arriving sweaty.

Stroll in there relaxed and ready to nail the interview.

TexasToast

Reaction score
And I know you didn't ask....but this is also standard....

Get there early. Rather sit in your parked car relaxing and going through some scenarios/questions or standing outside vs rushing to the appt and arriving sweaty.

Stroll in there relaxed and ready to nail the interview.

Yup Im probably going to scout the location today just to make sure I can get to the location on time. Im also working on questions and doing more research on the company.

TexasToast

Reaction score
You can certainly wear French cuffs to work, once you've gotten the job and you've determined they're appropriate for the environment. But yes, they have fallen out of favor for business attire in financial services industries. They are more common in law and government. I don't wear them to work mainly because barrel cuffs are more practical for desk work, but yes, also because I prefer limiting accessories with business attire to a wristwatch.
This is good to know, I dont think French cuffs will fly at this place since they are business casual. Its good to know that that they still work for special occasions thanks again.

jack webb

Reaction score
I have an interview this week and I needed to get some advice. I plan on wearing my Blue single breasted suit Brown shoes and White French cuff shirt.Is it ever advisable to wear your shirt with the collar open, I have been told that dress at the company is business casual. Should I just wear a tie and play it safe.
Wear the tie. Once inside if you see nobody else is wearing one you can always take it off.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup Im probably going to scout the location today just to make sure I can get to the location on time. Im also working on questions and doing more research on the company.
Smart. You’d be shocked how many guys I interview who don’t have any questions. The guys who have some thoughtful, non-boilerplate questions stand out.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bootwatch