• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Title sounds snarky, but the tipping thread actually has some very good questions and responses, so go. No shame, don't feel bad.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is sad

Oooops...didn't read your first post.

Go on guys. Don't feel bad

:lurk:

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one. Happened this weekend.

At a restaurant in a resort town, so casual, but the restaurant is a little higher end. Older people are dressed in Brooks; younger in casual sportswear. We're on the back patio. 60ish guy beside us finishes his meal then stretches out his legs and puts his feet on the empty chair at his table. Directly in front of my wife. I give it a few minutes just to see if he's trying to work out a charley horse or perhaps is afflicted with gout, but it looks like he's just settling back to digest and enjoy his coffee. I say, "Excuse me, could I ask you to remove your shoes from that chair." He looks startled, then pissed but complies. His companion grumbles, "What's the big deal?" I say, "Do you really need me to explain this?"

They pay and leave. The waitress later confesses that she couldn't say anything or risk losing her job. The hostess is pissed that I scared off her regulars.

Discuss.

lefty

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much tip is appropriate if a service charge of 12.5-15% is mandatory and already included in the bill ? I dont leave more than 5%. Is it wrong ? For context, I am in India and tipping culture is not as strong as in the US

Basically its like

Dish 1 - 200
Drink 1 - 150

Tax on Food - 15% of 200 - 30
Tax on Drink - 20% of 150 - 30

Service Charge - 12.5% of Food plus drink - 43.75

Total - 453.75

I give - 475

Is it too less ?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Someone's out of control brat runs up to your table, grabs the edge of it, and goes to touch something on your table. The correct response is?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How much tip is appropriate if a service charge of 12.5-15% is mandatory and already included in the bill ? I dont leave more than 5%. Is it wrong ? For context, I am in India and tipping culture is not as strong as in the US

Basically its like

Dish 1 - 200
Drink 1 - 150

Tax on Food - 15% of 200 - 30
Tax on Drink - 20% of 150 - 30

Service Charge - 12.5% of Food plus drink - 43.75

Total - 453.75

I give - 475

Is it too less ?
If service is included, leave anything between 0 and 10% based on the type of restaurant and how happy you were with your service.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have one. Happened this weekend.

At a restaurant in a resort town, so casual, but the restaurant is a little higher end. Older people are dressed in Brooks; younger in casual sportswear. We're on the back patio. 60ish guy beside us finishes his meal then stretches out his legs and puts his feet on the empty chair at his table. Directly in front of my wife. I give it a few minutes just to see if he's trying to work out a charley horse or perhaps is afflicted with gout, but it looks like he's just settling back to digest and enjoy his coffee. I say, "Excuse me, could I ask you to remove your shoes from that chair." He looks startled, then pissed but complies. His companion grumbles, "What's the big deal?" I say, "Do you really need me to explain this?"

They pay and leave. The waitress later confesses that she couldn't say anything or risk losing her job. The hostess is pissed that I scared off her regulars.

Discuss.

lefty
You want to know whether it is appropriate to say something to somebody at another table who is putting his feet up on a chair at his own table, is older than you, in a resort town, on the patio in the proximity of your wife? Unless the feet were unshod, I think you probably know the answer to this.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty confident in my response but curious what other people would have done.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, unless the guy had no shoes on and toe cheese, you were out of line.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone's out of control brat runs up to your table, grabs the edge of it, and goes to touch something on your table. The correct response is?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Waiter asks if you're done eating when there's still food on your plate, you're still holding the utensils, and you're chewing food at the moment. After noticing all of the above, he just stands there and waits for your response. Do you:

(a) Respond with your mouth full of food.
(b) Finish chewing, prolong the awkward moment, and say no.
(c) Gesture at the food still on your plate and in your mouth.
(d) Ignore him until he goes away.
(e) Do something else.

And in any event, how much would you reduce his tip, if at all?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, unless the guy had no shoes on and toe cheese, you were out of line.

Interesting. Patio yes, but we were under a canopy and the chairs were cloth covered. Many of the women there were wearing white pants or dresses and I doubt they wanted to sit in whatever **** this guy dragged in on his shoes.

Personal peeve of mine - take your feet off the furniture.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting. Patio yes, but we were under a canopy and the chairs were cloth covered. Many of the women there were wearing white pants or dresses and I doubt they wanted to sit in whatever **** this guy dragged in on his shoes.

lefty
I didn't say he wasn't being rude. There is a pretty big gap between the onset of rudeness and when it is OK to act as hall monitor and tell somebody at another table what to do. Your pet peeves aren't really the issue there. Now, as I said, if he had toe cheese, or if he was shaking his dick around, fine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Waiter asks if you're done eating when there's still food on your plate, you're still holding the utensils, and you're chewing food at the moment. After noticing all of the above, he just stands there and waits for your response. Do you:

(a) Respond with your mouth full of food.
(b) Finish chewing, prolong the awkward moment, and say no.
(c) Gesture at the food still on your plate and in your mouth.
(d) Ignore him until he goes away.
(e) Do something else.

And in any event, how much would you reduce his tip, if at all?

I would casually finish chewing (b), but when finished with my mouthful, ask him if it would appear to him/her that I look finished? If the fact I was actively eating gives off the impression I'm finished eating? I have done this before and been told he was just checking as he wanted to turn the table. The tip was exactly $0.00.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lefty
I would never comment on bad manners at my own table, nonetheless another. Unless someone's behavior is genuinely disrupting my dining experience, I don't make their etiquette my business.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeeandthelostboys