• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Idiot's Guide to Getting Big (or: how to stop s***ting up this forum, skinny whiners)

jakejake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
How the **** does anyone get in 6-8 meals a day anyway? Are you retired or what? I get one lunch break, not 3 and my boss would not allow me to be stuffing my face all day. Eat however works best with your schedule, for me that's 3 meals with a couple small snacks in between. Works for me and it's not rocket science.

In regards to buying food cheap, go to the grocery store and ask the meat guy if he has anything nearing expiration and tell him you'll buy it all for a discount. Sometimes you can get stuff at or below their cost then freeze it.

In regards to "Getting big" one thing that a noob should consider is how it makes you feel. When I was serious about bodybuilding eating all those calories made me feel like **** - sluggish, bloated and farting all day. And before anyone responds stating "I feel fine" I don't really care. I'm just telling you it made me feel like **** and a noob should take this into consideration.

I now eat less (mostly natural healthy foods) and do exercise that interests me - biking, tennis and also hit the weights but am not all psycho-serious about it. I'm fit, feel better than ever and look just fine without gobs of muscle and I have a hot girlfriend. If I were a kid I'd be so confused reading threads like this with nobody able to agree on anything. Just clear your mind and make things simple. Eat healthy when you want, exercise in a manner that interests you and don't get wrapped up in the nonsense, it's that simple.

Is that a good thing?

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Just looking out for those wanting to save money. It's safe to eat as long as it's cooked or frozen right away unless it has a funny odor. My butcher is good about not selling me crap, just have to establish that relationship. Also, I have two big dogs that consume a good portion of that meat. With that said, I normally buy meat at Costco or the local fresh fish market next to the beach. However, when I'm at the grocery store to buy smaller items I always check out the meat section for potential deals.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad idea to me, but I've gotten food poisoning a couple times so I tend to err on the side of caution.

ms244

Reaction score
How do you keep motivated ?

Especially when everyone around you seems to have a solid six pack and I got the 20 pound gut that came with my engineering degree.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newbie programs emphasize that getting to go out to your garage and add 5 lbs to the squat you did 48 hrs ago is a great feeling. It is nice.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
seriously, if you eat half decent and lift with some effort, you will get results. everyone can;t have such **** genetics that they don;t make some kind of progress.

I agree with this...all of my friends that have claimed they can't get stronger or gain weight end up doing well when they actually decide to stick to lifting for several months. I've always been able to pack on muscle quickly but diet is important for me as I also pack on fat easily.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
How do you keep motivated ?

Especially when everyone around you seems to have a solid six pack and I got the 20 pound gut that came with my engineering degree.

Use what you just wrote as motivation

alebrady

Reaction score
so, ive got a stupid newbie question...

in trying to use daily intake monitoring (as the OP suggests) I assume that any pre/post workout whey shakes need to be included in this? I ask because those shakes are almost the equivalent of a snack/meal for me, yet dont feel very satisfying or filling? almost feels like I am getting short changed out of my food!
smile.gif

any confirmation would be great!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you ate it or drank it, it counts.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
so, ive got a stupid newbie question...

in trying to use daily intake monitoring (as the OP suggests) I assume that any pre/post workout whey shakes need to be included in this? I ask because those shakes are almost the equivalent of a snack/meal for me, yet dont feel very satisfying or filling? almost feels like I am getting short changed out of my food!
smile.gif

any confirmation would be great!

Yes, that was a stupid question.
baldy[1].gif

Cheers.
cheers.gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damnit!! Even when I try to be an asshole, I still fail.

Enjoy the nachos.
fing02[1].gif

ryaanism

Reaction score
Starting Strength is a really good book.. something like Dinosaur Training is pretty good as well... all the old 'strongmen' manuals are cool as well.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Na1374