• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize that hoodies may not appeal to some CM diehards but as it’s been around for literally decades it doesn’t stand out as much as you’d think.

Hoodies have in fact been around for literally centuries... hooded tops were the standard clothing of ordinary working folk in mediaeval Europe, monks and the gentry wore hooded cloaks. (And yes, I know what you meant!)

Pulpo

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of this in New York City in the last couple of years. Lots of kids in their 20s wearing sport coats, tassel loafers, cm trousers with sportswear. It's irreverent and young, and it's refreshing to see. It's also a trend, but, as ya'll say, it could re-orient the masses toward cm.

But don't you think that this kind of dress-down approach to cm has always existed, at least in the 20th century? When I watch old movies or tv shows, there's always some guy with tailored trousers and a sc paired with the sportwear (or underwear) of the time. Maybe it was meant to represent the character as "riff-raff" or off-duty, but it has always been there in some form. I think people just used the raw materials of cm/sw&d any way they saw fit.

One thing I'm struck by when watching TV / movies from the 90s is just how abundant and casual cm was. I've been rewatching the X-Files and Seinfeld (inducing tonal whiplash) and it always sticks out to me how about 40% of the characters (including background and random one-offs) are wearing a jacket or wool trousers as just like their everyday wardrobe. They're not "dressed up" it was just daily wear for people from all walks of life until like, 2002?

Kind of funny that doing so has almost completely gone away. It seemed like it was pretty common for a middle-aged guy to just throw on a sport coat and go about their day without it being much of a style consideration, but then that just stopped altogether. And I imagine that it's coming back in part because these brands (and consumers) are casting their gaze back to the 90s.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing I'm struck by when watching TV / movies from the 90s is just how abundant and casual cm was. I've been rewatching the X-Files and Seinfeld (inducing tonal whiplash) and it always sticks out to me how about 40% of the characters (including background and random one-offs) are wearing a jacket or wool trousers as just like their everyday wardrobe. They're not "dressed up" it was just daily wear for people from all walks of life until like, 2002?

Kind of funny that doing so has almost completely gone away. It seemed like it was pretty common for a middle-aged guy to just throw on a sport coat and go about their day without it being much of a style consideration, but then that just stopped altogether. And I imagine that it's coming back in part because these brands (and consumers) are casting their gaze back to the 90s.

I think that's mostly an effect of how costume designers use clothes to communicate something about the character, not necessarily how people dressed in real life. I remember the 90s as still a fairly casual decade. Plus, even back then, lots of people didn't work in corporations and thus had very flexible dress codes.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always thought the entire point of CM was not standing out. I'm reminded of the Anderson & Sheppard promise that upon leaving a client would not be recognized as wearing a new suit.

Pulpo

Reaction score
I think that's mostly an effect of how costume designers use clothes to communicate something about the character, not necessarily how people dressed in real life. I remember the 90s as still a fairly casual decade. Plus, even back then, lots of people didn't work in corporations and thus had very flexible dress codes.

Ah, I should have figured that might be the case. In my defense, I was more interested in playing Playstation at the time than what the adults around me were wearing lol.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought the entire point of CM was not standing out. I'm reminded of the Anderson & Sheppard promise that upon leaving a client would not be recognized as wearing a new suit.
That's what I was alluding to with the school uniform analogy (except for the part about me trying to stand out...).

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
There are quite a few photos online of a young Harrison Ford striking what I think is a nice balance of CM with casual, especially considering the norms of that day.
05d10b8b603a65d105ecc2a133208bf2.jpg
harrison-ford-1970s-8.jpg
harrison-ford-1970s-2.jpg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly. Which is why wearing trad CM under the age of 60 in most contexts is a violation of CM norms.

Mirage-

Reaction score
It would be very funny if they asked you whether the reason you are suddenly wearing normal clothing is that you have a job interview.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here regularly wear flannel shirts in this sort of dressed up context? Plenty of examples of denim and chambray, but I don’t see many pictures of flannels with a sport coat or with tailored trousers. Maybe I’m just not paying attention.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here regularly wear flannel shirts in this sort of dressed up context? Plenty of examples of denim and chambray, but I don’t see many pictures of flannels with a sport coat or with tailored trousers. Maybe I’m just not paying attention.
Growing up as a Northerner flannel shirts were alway super casual. Never used them with tailoring myself. I have worn some cashmere/cotton blends in POW with tweedy jackets but nothing “lumberjacky.”

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Growing up as a Northerner flannel shirts were alway super casual. Never used them with tailoring myself. I have worn some cashmere/cotton blends in POW with tweedy jackets but nothing “lumberjacky.”

I was thinking subtle patterns or even no pattern flannels, not necessarily red and black checks.

I’m aiming to buy something like this for the fall

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member