• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d recommend trying the pants with oxfords. I don’t think loafers would be the best shoe choice here. It may look more palatable with oxfords. If you definitely plan on wearing these with loafers, definitely get rid of the cuffs and lengthen the pants.

I disagree here, it's questionable but still acceptable with loafers, absolutely inappropriate with oxfords.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, just came back from the tailors. We opted for a no-break, but now I’m regretting not being more conservative and firmer with him (he was adamant we went with a no-break). Are these too short? Should I take 0.5” inch from the cuff, make it a 1.5” cuff and suck it up? Or undo the cuffs and get a proper quarter break? Or just go with it? Thanks guys.

The trousers are too short, full stop, even if the leg openings are narrow enough to warrant "no break only" styling. There are things that a good tailor can do to lengthen the trousers without losing the cuff. I had a similar situation recently with a pair of trousers that had been shortened too much, and the alterations department at Paul Stuart was successful in lengthening the trousers by an inch and a half, without losing the original 2" cuff. Return to your tailor, and have the trousers lengthened by whatever alterations magic necessary, even if you opt for proper no-break styling.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_3490.jpeg

This is the other suit i had altered by the “likes trousers too short” tailor. This is me fine dining at mcdonalds after wearing them the first time.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. This is so frustrating, I repeatedly expressed my worry that the trousers would turn up too short and so they did… and this guy is a well regarded tailor!
I might say that perhaps how you stand might have an impact on your length. If your legs were straight they might look a bit longer. Your knees look hyperextended. Did you pose differently when he was taking measurements? If this is just genetic and how your are please ignore me. We all have quips and you should plan for more length.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. This is so frustrating, I repeatedly expressed my worry that the trousers would turn up too short and so they did… and this guy is a well regarded tailor!

Maybe find a new tailor. While others might have had good experiences with him, it would seem that he's not your guy.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2177327

This is the other suit i had altered by the “likes trousers too short” tailor. This is me fine dining at mcdonalds after wearing them the first time.
Gotta find a new pants tailor, or REALLY express your preferences with him/her. That jacket looks wildly disproportionate/far too long by comparsion. It may well be regardless of the trousers, but it absolutely needs drapier trousers.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good overall but I guess it depends on the aesthetic you're going for.

The suit gives off a ivy sack suit vibe. There's not a lot of contour between chest and waist and if that's what you're going for then not much needs to be done but it could be taken in the waist a smidge.

I do think it's a tad bit big in the shoulders - it seems like where the collar bone meets is slightly before the sleeve, which isn't ideal, but it could just be the angle.

Yes, the right sleeve could be a tad longer.

Also, based on your build, the pants are a bit low in rise. I would expect the pants to meet closer to the natural waist but they seem to sit closer to the hips like a pair of jeans. A more modern fit, so it's not "bad", just not classical in the tone of the forum (if that's the look you want). The cut though is sublime - the drape down the leg is perfect.
I missed this before but it is Jpress so Ivy style. My pants might have been saggin some but they are not low rise.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member