• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HLS Shoes

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the brand. There are a number of them on Yoox and I'm interested, but I'm wary about the quality.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Why are you interested? Why not just stick with a brand that you already know is good?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Because they are affordable and I think the aesthetics on some of them are nice. Based on your logic, there would be two manufacturers in the world. What's wrong with trying something new?

Dan

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Okay. They are good deals at <$50, which would be the price once Yoox starts their next great sale. Same for Paul May, Maldini, Vado etc.

Till then, hold on to your wallet and look on eBay for better options.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd
Because they are affordable and I think the aesthetics on some of them are nice. Based on your logic, there would be two manufacturers in the world. What's wrong with trying something new?
I know of more than two manufacturers -- actually many more -- that make very good shoes that are affordable. All of them have been mentioned many times on this forum. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of choices offered by these manufacturers -- that's enough for me. However, there is nothing wrong with trying something new, of course. It is my experience that very cheap shoes are junk. Beware of shoes with fabric linings, synthetic uppers, lots of glue, etc. They won't work well and look good for very long.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
I know of more than two manufacturers -- actually many more -- that make very good shoes that are affordable. All of them have been mentioned many times on this forum. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of choices offered by these manufacturers -- that's enough for me. However, there is nothing wrong with trying something new, of course.

It is my experience that very cheap shoes are junk. Beware of shoes with fabric linings, synthetic uppers, lots of glue, etc. They won't work well and look good for very long.

I feel stupid even bothering to respond to your posts. You miss my point entirely. I understand there are more than two manufacturers. My meaning was that if everyone "stuck with" what they knew then there would not, because there'd be no point for a second manufacturer to come along, and if they did, they would fail. I was being hyperbolic.

The reason that you have so many wonderful choices when choosing shoes, is because many people don't buy shoes based on your logic of 'only buy what you know.' If that's how you choose to purchase your shoes, that's fine, but I was inquiring about a brand, and your post added nothing constructive to this thread.

I understand that you generally get what you pay for, and I'm not expecting these to be the end all, be all of shoes, but just because they are on sale for under a hundred dollars (they started at $250), doesn't mean that they are total ****.

Thank you to whacked, who gave me a reasonable response.

Dan

fredrik80

Reaction score
I have a pair of HLS boots i bought from yoox a year ago, they're a pretty nice pair of wingtips and i've worn them a lot since then. The leather is nice and this pair was blake stitched, after that i tried another pair of HLS and they were glued and the leather was poor. So go ahead and try them, they might be decent

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
My point of view is not 'only buy what you know'. Rather, it is 'only buy what you know to be good'.
That's why he asked.
plain.gif
plain.gif
plain.gif
plain.gif
plain.gif
I educated myself: read about the products on the Internet, looked at the brochures, read other people's opinions, examine the products in person, etc.
rolleyes.gif
It's really no fun replying if you just delete your messages.
frown.gif

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
It's really no fun replying if you just delete your messages.
frown.gif

I deleted it because I didn't think my message was very good. The OP does make a good point. Re the shoes in question: they appear to be made of corrected grain leather (the descriptions say "polished leather", etc.) with glued-on soles -- typical low-end construction. Also, the descriptions don't say the kind of leather used -- this suggests inferior quality to me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
normanlawrence